Martin "Axe" Axenrot

Nitemare

Hi everyone! Axe is a great drummer in Opeth. Does anyone have any idea of Axe's set-up? Sabian.com doesnt have his info, but he is on there as an endorsee. Please help with any info on his cymbals set-up, i know his drum set-up. Thanks! :)

DW Drums and hardware, Sabian Cymbals, Pro Mark sticks

That is about all the Info I could find...doesnt help much but better thank nothing

wow his work on the new song is awesome. leagues better then watershed. This is actually on the same level if not better then Martin Lopez's drumming on their previous stuff.

wow his work on the new song is awesome. leagues better then watershed. This is actually on the same level if not better then Martin Lopez's drumming on their previous stuff.

I think part of it is due to the fact the production on this album is going to be fantastic, to the point where I think they recorded the drums and bass together live actually...

I usually preferred Lopez' playing as well, but his drumming on Watershed was still fantastic. I think I agree with you on this, this is truly great, beyond anything else I've ever heard him do.

Yeah, he's gotten quite a bit better as he's eased into Opeth. Even comparing the Albert Hall performance to Roundhouse Tapes, he sounds much more sure of himself and comfortable, and seems to have gotten a better feel for the music. Comparing the two different live versions of Bleak is a great example...he absolutely BUTCHERED the intro groove on roundhouses, but actually pulled it off fairly well at Albert Hall. I saw them shortly after Axe officially replaced Lopez and found myself cringing at parts (Windowpane, especially), but it does seem like he's improved. Should be interesting to hear him again on the new tour.

I wasn't a huge fan of his playing on Watershed, TBH. It wasn't bad, and he's got chops, but his playing "felt" like a typical metal drummer, and his repetitive fills got a little monotonous (e.g.: burden).

Hello everyone, I am rarely ever posting anything on these threads, but I had to do it now. I obtained the new album "Heritage" by Opeth, and wanted to encourage any drummer and fan of drumming regardless the style and expression to give a listen to this album, and especially pay attention to the song called "The lines in my hand". I think Axe has really shown his maturity as an instrumentalist, but also he serves these songs with utmost respect for the rest of the instruments, and still stays pretty busy playing. I just wanted to say: "Excellent work, Axe!" Still, just only my honest opinion!

Best regards!

Edvin

Yo!

I was able to find out his exakt current setup! I simply wrota a mail to Sabian customer service and this was their reply!

"Hi Hampus,

Sorry for my delay. I had to do some research on this one.....here is Martins latest setup:

1.HHX Groove Hats 15"

2.AAX Splash 10"

3.HHX Evolution O-Zone Crash 18"

4.HH Splash 12"

5.HH Medium Ride 20"

6.Saturation Crash 19"

7.HHX Legacy Ride 21"

8.HHX Chinese 20"

All of these cymbals are standard models and are available through your local dealer.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Kevin

Customer Service

Sabian LTD

www.sabian.com"

Great service and quick reply! Drummers should be less afraid to write the companies supporting/sponsoring their favourite drummers. They often got great Customer service and will give you the most precise answer! Hope this helps! Peace!

"conflict of interests" - Reading between the lines, it's fairly obvious what this conflict pertained to 💉

It's too bad. I loved his playing. As great as Martin Lopez was, Axe brought a syncopated heaviness and technical proficiency to his parts. His first album with the band Watershed has a number of standout drumming tracks.

Back