DW 9000 vs. DW 5000

I first bought the 5000 series in both double and single and then got the 9000 series for studio use only and then used the 5000s for gigging. I hate to admit it but I prefer the 5000s. Dont know why just do. Just feels right.

I first bought the 5000 series in both double and single and then got the 9000 series for studio use only and then used the 5000s for gigging. I hate to admit it but I prefer the 5000s. Dont know why just do. Just feels right.
You're not the first person who's said this, and now that I think about it, I kind of feel the same way... and then some. In fact, after my experience with the 9000s, I not only went back to the 5000s, I actually like the single-chain model better than the double-chain. The single-chain model has a smaller footboard, lower heel plate, and smaller baseplate. Not only does it feel like a lighter PLAYING pedal that seems to offer more control, it also takes up less of a footprint, as well as is easier to cart around. Lately, I've been thinking I'm due for a new set of double pedals, and have been considering Mapex's Falcons, which seem like a closer match in size to the old 5000s like I have, but I'm afraid I might not like the longer footboards. I'm now thinking about a DW5000 vs. Mapex Falcon thread. :)

Ok, I play with a pretty damn decent PDP pedal, but i'm ready to upgrade to something that will increase my speed.

I have both a DW 4000 and a Gibraltar Intruder. (Both single pedals). I find your comment above interesting. Do you seriously think that buying a more expensive (or better branded) pedal WILL increase your speed? I actually prefer my Intruder to my DW, even though it was significantly cheaper. I've found that my speed only increases with practice and getting used to the particular pedal I am playing at the time. I did a kit share at a Battle of the Bands type charity gig recently and the pedal was some non-branded single pedal - pretty heavy duty, but not particularly smooth. At first it was weird to play and I was struggling - after a 10 - 15 minutes it was ok and given a bit more time I don't think I would have been any slower than with my own pedals. In short - don't expect a sudden pedal upgrade to make you faster. Though the 'new gear' syndrome may make you practice a bit harder for a while, which may help ;).

Hi! Does it happen to anyone who uses the DW 9002 that you "kick" the springs when you play heel-toe technique because of their being inside the frame?

Having owned axis, 5000's cobra's demons and trying speed cobras and 9000's i figured id pipe in..

the 9000's to me feel VERY heavy. i had a hard time playing fast on them. they are solid gigging pedals as they are tanks.. but the 5000 had a much nicer feel

the 5000's seem like the regular cobras to me in feel. I have tried speed cobras and didn't mind them. I know 2 people with them and both took them back because they broke very fast.

now.. as far as someone saying axis pedals break all the time? I have owned my axis longboards for 8 years. never had an issue.. but i replaced the shaft once... in 8 years thats pretty reasonable. they are the fastest pedals i have ever owned. but have a very light feel. they take some serious getting used too.

the pearl demon drives are my newest pedals and they combine the speeds of the axis with the power of IC's and 5000's..........

I am sold with the demon drives, but theres a ton of settings you can change on all these pedals....

go try them all out side by side and see what you like

I am a DW 5000 man myself. It's just a preference of feel for me...plus, I prefer the springs to be on the outside on chain and sprocket pedals in general.

With the introduction of the new generation DW 5000 AD4's, you still get the feel of the 5000 with many of the nice features of the 9000. One new feature that I specifically like on the 5000 is the Dual-Bearing Spring Rocker...very smooth!

Having had cheaper pedals in the past with zero adjustability, I find that all the top-of-the-line pedals have enough adjustability to tune it to the feel you want with the exception of non-adjustable cam pedals. I think it comes down to whether you want a cam pedal or a straight feel pedal, and then get that model and adjust the springs and beater weights and whatever else.

i would pick the 5002 over the 9002. But I play the direct drive Axis A21 Lasers which to me is great double pedal. but they are pricey.

Well after all this talk about the 5002 being a wiser choice than the 9002, I ordered a 9002. Tried one in a store the other day, and once again, it felt amazing. I'll report back once I've actually spent time with it at my drums.

The 9000s can be adjusted in so many ways that it's tough to believe anyone gave them a fair chance if they didn't adjust the pedal to not be tighter. That said, I do understand that they're not for everyone. I've got 9000s and 5000s, and I honestly prefer 5000s just as a personal preference. Pedals are like sticks: they're completely personal and you need to find what is best for you. Don't settle until you find the pedal that feels comfortable, even if it takes a bit of work to adjust things. Keep in mind that those "out of the box" settings, or what you find in a store, may not work for you.

I'm a set and forget type of guy but I preferred the 9000 over the 5000 in store. To be fair I probably could have gotten the 5000 and used a lighter beater, who knows.

They are pretty adjustable but they aren't the fastest pedals, so straight up metal guys would be better off with something else.

I had a dw5000 that I loved and tried to move to a 9000....... I found it very heavy and slow.... switched to demon drives instead and made a WORLD of difference

I should also add I have owned iron cobra's, 5000's, 9000's axis long boards some old pearl pedal and now demon drives..

have made every adjustment possible on everyone with multiple beaters, heads,drums, tensions.

I had a dw5000 that I loved and tried to move to a 9000....... I found it very heavy and slow.... switched to demon drives instead and made a WORLD of difference.

Isn't the 5000 a heavier pedal?

Which Demon Drive did you get? The direct drive or the chain drive?

I got the direct. so not apples to apples so to say.

but I have talked to a few of my friends who have gone the 9000 route and swapped for something else..

to each their own though.. Try every pedal you can and make a decision based on that

Isn't the 5000 a heavier pedal?

Which Demon Drive did you get? The direct drive or the chain drive?

That's what I thought. I imagine the 9000 can be adjusted to feel lighter anyway.

I had a direct drive demon drive before the dw.. That was a mistake.

Direct drive pedals feel strange to me. I did play a Ludwig Speed King a million years ago, but whenever I try a direct drive now, it's a bizarre sensation.

The 9002 pedals arrived today. I played them for an hour, and then tried to play my Yamaha double pedal again. After playing the DWs, the Yamaha was unplayable.

These DW9002 pedals are really, really nice. I had to loosen the springs considerably from the stock setting (so much that I thought the spring would fall off) and I used DW medium felt beaters (very light) instead of the stock beaters (which are much heavier) and had them inserted at the maximum extension.

I had the connecting rod between the pedals set all the way collapsed. I think I would have gone even tighter if it were possible.

Anyway, I highly recommend these pedals. Very light, very smooth, and very solid.

Anyone want to buy my Yamaha DFP9500C pedals?

Direct drive pedals feel strange to me. I did play a Ludwig Speed King a million years ago, but whenever I try a direct drive now, it's a bizarre sensation.

I also played the Speed King and the only suitable direct drive replacement I enjoy is the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive. I have had it a while and prefer it to the DW5000. Its infinitely adjustable which is nice. I did a side by side comparison yesterday and the Yamaha just felt more smooth to me.

Back