New band

metal overlord

Gold Member
Ok, I got a new band. All great guys, fun, good taste in music.

But

Theres a catch.
They are in a state of "UHH". They have 1 song, and litterally no music making skills, but excellent instrumental skills. How do I help them out of this? I feel a great potential with this band, but I need to bring them out of the state of "UHH".

I mean, y guitarist can shred like no tomarrow. But only to songs that already exist. Not origonal stuff. Now I still got demos and stuff from my old band, but I can't do that to them. For one, that was "our" music. Two, it's really not the same with differant people.

Can anyone tell me how to help my band out?

You cant really teach a person or a guitarist how to become a good writer of music...it kinda just has to be there...so im not sure there is alot you can do...but have them surround themselves with the bands that play the type of music they want to write...have them listen and focus in on what the person playing their instrument in those bands is doing and apply it to their writing.....but again you cant teach someone how to create good music

I m guessing your not too interested in doing covers for a while? Maybe at least long enough to learn and addapt to each other's playing style? You could try picking a song you all know that has some sort of instrumental part and just explore it, change it up, jam out ya know what I mean? And record it, because someone might come up with something that s not part of the original and even one little riff, could be enough to build a new song from. And just give it time, patience is the key.

I m guessing your not too interested in doing covers for a while? Maybe at least long enough to learn and addapt to each other's playing style? You could try picking a song you all know that has some sort of instrumental part and just explore it, change it up, jam out ya know what I mean? And record it, because someone might come up with something that s not part of the original and even one little riff, could be enough to build a new song from. And just give it time, patience is the key.

I guess your right. But I was never a big fan of doing covers, no. I don't like playing music someone else wrote. I like to feel original, make up stuff that us original.

But siriously, I guess I should try that.

Ok, I got a new band. All great guys, fun, good taste in music.

But

Theres a catch.
They are in a state of "UHH". They have 1 song, and litterally no music making skills, but excellent instrumental skills. How do I help them out of this? I feel a great potential with this band, but I need to bring them out of the state of "UHH".

I mean, y guitarist can shred like no tomarrow. But only to songs that already exist. Not origonal stuff. Now I still got demos and stuff from my old band, but I can't do that to them. For one, that was "our" music. Two, it's really not the same with differant people.

Can anyone tell me how to help my band out?

My band is a two piece and we write most of our stuff together through jamming. It's easy to jam when there's 1 melodic instrument and 1 rhythm rather that a couple of guitars and bass. Try stripping it back to drums and 1 instrument and jam on your own, then take any ideas you get to the group to work on.

Covers are also a good way to get playing together and would probably help you guys gel as a band. Even if you're never gonna play 'em live it's a good way of having something to play in the rehearsal. It can help decide what kinda style you all wanna play as well.

Back