Other drumstick woods

daredrummer

Gold Member
Well I have tried tons of different companies hickory, 5A model, and they just don't last that long if you're a hard hitter. I don't like playing anything much heavier than a 5A, but I'm a heavy hitter, so these sticks usually last about a month for me. i've also tried 5A models with bigger tapers, and they still don't last too long.
(I don't like ahead sticks either)

So, with that being said, I'm going to like for a drumstick with a different (more durable) wood. Unfortunately, most drumsticks companies stick to the traditional hickory and maple. The only ones I know of are Pro Mark's Oak line, and the heavy jazz stick (birch) by zildjian (Probably gonna try this one out, but some other options would be nice.)
So does anyone know any other companies that have drumsticks in woods other than hickory and maple? I've looked at lots of companies online, and most just have hickory and maple. Any other oak producers, or other woods?
Thanks.

Well I have tried tons of different companies hickory, 5A model, and they just don't last that long if you're a hard hitter. I don't like playing anything much heavier than a 5A, but I'm a heavy hitter, so these sticks usually last about a month for me. i've also tried 5A models with bigger tapers, and they still don't last too long.
(I don't like ahead sticks either)

So, with that being said, I'm going to like for a drumstick with a different (more durable) wood. Unfortunately, most drumsticks companies stick to the traditional hickory and maple. The only ones I know of are Pro Mark's Oak line, and the heavy jazz stick (birch) by zildjian (Probably gonna try this one out, but some other options would be nice.)
So does anyone know any other companies that have drumsticks in woods other than hickory and maple? I've looked at lots of companies online, and most just have hickory and maple. Any other oak producers, or other woods?
Thanks.

Well im sure some will scoff or joke at this, and it's not wood. But you may consider Ahead sticks.
Missed a line, I guess?

Haha I'm just kidding with ya. Ahead's have great durability, but I just don't like the feel of playing with them.

wow don't know how i missed that, well in the way of other woods iv heard of White Beech, but only in marching drumsticks.

Another option [although it's not very conventional], you could try using a more concert or orchestral type drumstick, they are usually thicker I.E. Vic Firth SD1s. Also I know of a type vic firth makes from persimmon but they are a little beefy. I guess the thing is where do you draw the line? If you are a heavy hitter and use a thick drumstick you may break heads and cymbals faster. Have you tried 2Bs?

Theres an online custom company that does purpleheart and jatoba and a few others. Google it, I don't think they were that expensive.

wow don't know how i missed that, well in the way of other woods iv heard of White Beech, but only in marching drumsticks.

Another option [although it's not very conventional], you could try using a more concert or orchestral type drumstick, they are usually thicker I.E. Vic Firth SD1s. Also I know of a type vic firth makes from persimmon but they are a little beefy. I guess the thing is where do you draw the line? If you are a heavy hitter and use a thick drumstick you may break heads and cymbals faster. Have you tried 2Bs?
Nah I don't like playing anything heavier than 5A's
Theres an online custom company that does purpleheart and jatoba and a few others. Google it, I don't think they were that expensive.
Found it, thanks for help.

Hmm a another questions has just arrised...
On the wood hardness charts, oak is lighter than hickory (about the same as maple), however pro mark advertises it as heavier and more durable. These hardness tests are pretty professional, so why does promark advertise oak sticks as heavier?

Ok guys I think I'm gonna get a pair of zildjian heavy jazz, and then order a pair of the custom site mentioned above and compare. (Unless people have other suggestions)

Once again thanks for the help jodgey.

Hickory is popular because it has the characteristic of absorbing shock, so what when you hit a drum/cymbal the shock doesn't travel into your arm.

Which is why it's also used for ax handles and such.

Other woods tend to not resist shock as well, which is why you just don't see many other woods used.

Plus it's easy to grow.

Hickory is popular because it has the characteristic of absorbing shock, so what when you hit a drum/cymbal the shock doesn't travel into your arm.

Which is why it's also used for ax handles and such.

Other woods tend to not resist shock as well, which is why you just don't see many other woods used.

Plus it's easy to grow.

Well it's just not durable enough for me :/ (At least in 5A size)
I'll take my chances with purpleheart or jatoba.

I think if 5A's are lasting you about a month and you're a hard hitter you're doing pretty well.

Where are your sticks wearing out? Shoulder, or back near the rim shot area? Clean breaks or wearing away to nothing? Depending on where and how your sticks are wearing might help figure out a course of action.

I think if 5A's are lasting you about a month and you're a hard hitter you're doing pretty well.

Where are your sticks wearing out? Shoulder, or back near the rim shot area? Clean breaks or wearing away to nothing? Depending on where and how your sticks are wearing might help figure out a course of action.

It's near the shoulder. I don't know what you mean by wearing away to nothing, but it's usually a clean break, just spilts (usually when I crash).

I've tried 5A models with bigger tapers , and those still only last a month or so.

Well, if you refuse to get heavier sticks, I think you really don't have a lot of options.. Of course 5A's will break instantly, you're just using the wrong tool for the job, my friend.

For what I can tell you, I've been using Vic Firth's maple SD1 General for a while and although they're a lot lighter than hickory 5B's, I actually think they are holding up better.. they don't break and peel off, they just dent as it's a softer wood. Maybe you could try some. (They also sound quite different than hickory, obviously).

However, my best advice would be.. switch to 5B's. ;)

Cheers.

Well, if you refuse to get heavier sticks, I think you really don't have a lot of options.. Of course 5A's will break instantly, you're just using the wrong tool for the job, my friend.

For what I can tell you, I've been using Vic Firth's maple SD1 General for a while and although they're a lot lighter than hickory 5B's, I actually think they are holding up better.. they don't break and peel off, they just dent as it's a softer wood. Maybe you could try some. (They also sound quite different than hickory, obviously).

However, my best advice would be.. switch to 5B's. ;)

Cheers.
Nah I really can't play with anything much over 5A's.

I am probably going to try jatoba from custom drumsticks.com. It's a lot harder and denser than hickory.
Plus I get all the customization options.

I am probably going to try jatoba from custom drumsticks.com. It's a lot harder and denser than hickory.
Plus I get all the customization options.

I'd be curious to know how that works out. I've only tried oak, hickory and maple sticks, nothing "exotic." When I've tried oak sticks before I found the playing feel very uncomfortable because they're so dense and rigid. Instead of absorbing shock they just sent it straight up my arms. I can only imagine what an even denser wood would feel like.

I'd be curious to know how that works out. I've only tried oak, hickory and maple sticks, nothing "exotic." When I've tried oak sticks before I found the playing feel very uncomfortable because they're so dense and rigid. Instead of absorbing shock they just sent it straight up my arms. I can only imagine what an even denser wood would feel like.
Hmm I've never had that trouble with pro mark's oak sticks...
Well we'll see how it works out.

Well, we both know this is a bit of an overstatement, I'm sure you can play with other sticks, lol, but nevermind, that's alright. :)

Well.. I own a pair of handmade sticks made of "curupay" which is a very very hard and dense wood which doesn't even dent. I use them only for pad practice, some people use them on their kits, but I don't. It's a lot better to break sticks than cymbals.

Denser woods are also heavier, bear that in mind. Anyway, good luck! Cheers. :)

Well, we both know this is a bit of an overstatement, I'm sure you can play with other sticks, lol, but nevermind, that's alright. :)

Well.. I own a pair of handmade sticks made of "curupay" which is a very very hard and dense wood which doesn't even dent. I use them only for pad practice, some people use them on their kits, but I don't. It's a lot better to break sticks than cymbals.

Denser woods are also heavier, bear that in mind. Anyway, good luck! Cheers. :)

Yeah obviously I can :p I just meant I don't like to.

And I talked to the owner of Customdrumstix, and he said there was no worry about breaking cymbals. I've also looked a lot online, and users also say that there was no further risk in breaking cymbals.

And yes denser woods are heavier, however I think that a jatoba 5A would be much lighter than a hickory 2B.

Also I have one more question... Does anyone know what an egg tip looks like?

Back