Danny Carey

There's a little jazz joint in Studio City called The Baked Potato.; VOLTO! played there last night and I stood 10 feet from the kit on the right side of the stage. It was so awesome! They requested no photography, otherwise I'd have posted pics.

The lead singer plays keys and drums so some of the songs had two kits going. The band is so tight and technically proficient. Not a single wasted note the whole set.

NAMM PARTY '10 w/ VOLTO! @ The Baked Potato THURS Jan 14th!

flyer011410s.jpg

NAMM-bo-ree PARTY 2010 with VOLTO!!!!

Thursday Jan 14th '10 @ the baked potato in studio city, ca.

Danny Carey - drums
Kirk Covington - vox/keys/perc
Lance Morrison - bass
John Ziegler - guitar

january in los angeles means that once again it's time for the NAMM convention! music is everyhwere, and it's the perfect time to get the party started @ the historic baked potato...are we're gonna fire it up!
we'll also have the brand new t-shirts available too(fly the VOLTO! flag down on the convention floor)!
cheers and good times to y'all!

****CALL THE CLUB @ (818) 980-1615 after 6pm PST to reserve your seats asap! it will sell out, and ya don't wanna miss this! YEAH!****

there's more info via facebook...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/VOLTO/88717105783

glorious new decade and thanx!

They didn't break up. Maynard's was doing one of his many side projects. All of the members of Tool have side projects. I believe they're "working on" new stuff at the moment (when Keenan's not preoccupied being a damn wine connoisseur) . However I'm not entirely sure what "working on" might mean.

Tool is working on new stuff they said they should be releasing sometime in 2010 I'm guessing they will give us a demo by June for sure and the actual album in November or so.

I think I might own one of Danny Carey's old drum sets.
It's a 70's Pearl clear acrylic 5-piece set. I picked it up used from a guy, and went to Explorer's Percussion here in KC to buy heads for it. Strangely enough, the guy I bought it from was there installing a security system. Wes, the owner of Explorer's, said he thought I had one of Danny's kits...
Anyways, it's probably not true, but it would be cool to actually verify. It's a nice kit and I'm playing it right now, and won't be interested in selling it for a while. Diameters are 13" and 14" mounted toms on a 20" bass drum, 16" floor tom, with a matching acrylic 5x14" snare.

Tool is working on new stuff they said they should be releasing sometime in 2010 I'm guessing they will give us a demo by June for sure and the actual album in November or so.

Indeed...went to the explorer percussion drum clinic last year that danny carey did with aloke and bozzio. When getting his autograph I asked him the time old question of "when is the next Tool album?" which he laughed and said "we are going to start writing and recording at the beginning of the year." Can't wait to see what they come up with...every album has just been so unique and kick@$$ in it's own way.

im hoping this is the right area to post this, but here we go anyway. i am currently writing a musicology essay for my degree, and am currently analyzing Lateralus by Tool. anyway it is far more complex than i imagined (stupid of me to imagine it wouldnt be i know), one of the key factors i am discussing is the use of the Fibonacci Sequence in different areas of the song.

When looking at the lyrics in the verses, the amount of syllables in each section corresponds to the sequence. In the first verse the syllables are as follows, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 13, 8, 5, 3. The missing numbers are immediately apparent, however these are redeemed in the second verse, where the syllables read, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 8, 5, 3, which completes the sequence.

At this point i would like to appolgyse to anyone who is confused, it weird stuff. Anyway i have heard rumors that Danny Carey used the Fibonacci Spiral concept in order to form his drum lines for this song, however i have no idea how or where, or even if it is true haha. i was just wondering if anyone on this forum had any idea, or maybe knew if there was notation for the track knocking round anywhere.

thanks a lot

rab

im hoping this is the right area to post this, but here we go anyway. i am currently writing a musicology essay for my degree, and am currently analyzing Lateralus by Tool. anyway it is far more complex than i imagined (stupid of me to imagine it wouldnt be i know), one of the key factors i am discussing is the use of the Fibonacci Sequence in different areas of the song.

When looking at the lyrics in the verses, the amount of syllables in each section corresponds to the sequence. In the first verse the syllables are as follows, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 13, 8, 5, 3. The missing numbers are immediately apparent, however these are redeemed in the second verse, where the syllables read, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 8, 5, 3, which completes the sequence.

At this point i would like to appolgyse to anyone who is confused, it weird stuff. Anyway i have heard rumors that Danny Carey used the Fibonacci Spiral concept in order to form his drum lines for this song, however i have no idea how or where, or even if it is true haha. i was just wondering if anyone on this forum had any idea, or maybe knew if there was notation for the track knocking round anywhere.

thanks a lot

rab

I didn't read it all yet, but:
http://www.bofe.org/overthinking.htm

nevermind, this just says that the drum part repeats the sequence through 13. it doesn't say HOW.

I didn't read it all yet, but:
http://www.bofe.org/overthinking.htm

nevermind, this just says that the drum part repeats the sequence through 13. it doesn't say HOW.

cheers mate, im just gonna touch on it in the essay ive decided, ive got more than enough info on other aspects of the song, just as a drummer i prefer to focus on the drumming side of things :p, thanks a lot though that link will help me with other parts

Anyone have any information on the kit he's using on the current tour? Looks weird, like he went to roto toms, or epads (I know he always had some epads, but i don't see rack toms anymore).

http://207.7.138.58/images/news/DANREDROCK1.jpg

I saw them play in Vancouver on Friday. He's using two roto-toms for his rack toms (as you can see in that photo), which he's been doing for a little while now. For bass drums, he's using those Paiste ones and for floors, it looks like he's usingg a regular wood floor tom (perhaps from his 10000 Days kit) for his first floor and then an acrylic gong bass drum for his second floor tom.

Search for videos from this tour on YouTube and you'll be able to get a better look. There are some pretty good HD ones that other people have uploaded (check VancouverJu ly 9).

I saw them in St. Charles, MO and he was definitely using roto-toms. He did, however have 2 normal floor toms. I thought they were the Paiste ones but the previous post makes me wonder. The kit sounded great, though. And though I don't even have to say it, Danny played fabulously and IMO, better than ever.

I saw them in St. Charles, MO and he was definitely using roto-toms. He did, however have 2 normal floor toms. I thought they were the Paiste ones but the previous post makes me wonder. The kit sounded great, though. And though I don't even have to say it, Danny played fabulously and IMO, better than ever.

Oh, definitely; Danny's playing and sound was absolutely phenomenal! Here's a short video someone took of the Vancouver gig that you can sort of see what he's using. The first few seconds are dark for whatever reason. He's also uploaded a bunch of other good videos from this show, if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pU7d2LKIlM&feature=channel

Haha, my bad...for some reason there wasn't any picture that came up when i was reading the thread...sorry for that.

Sorry to change the subject, but I would like to hear from others who have seen Tool this tour. Wovenhand was the band that opened when I saw them. They were a very unique band and their drummer was solid. When Tool played Lateralus, Danny and Wovenhand's drummer did a drum duet just as expected. Wovenhand's drummer didn't have a clue what to do though! Danny was playing such complex rhythms that it might as well have been free time, so I don't blame him. When Mastodon and Big Business opened for them, both of those drummers held their own with Danny. My question is, has anyone seen Tool with Rajas or Dalek this tour? I just want to know how those drummers held up in the Lateralus solo/duet.

Back