What are the most durable drumsticks you know of?

After significant forays into Ahead, Hornets, Pro-Mark, Vater, Vic Firth, and Zildjian, I have found several sticks that I would not hesitate to buy again. They include the following: Hornets 7A, Pro-Mark 707N and 707W (Ed Shaughnessey), Vic Firth Dave Weckl, and Vater Stewart Copeland. Vater proved to be the most durable hickory models while Pro-Mark's Japanese Oak were the most durable overall (while Ahead's aluminum/plastic hybrid is in a class of its own - although it's an unplayable class)

This is me from another thread. But it's still true.

I've never had problems with Vic Firths(X5B) ever breaking but I have to admit that my Vater 5B are holding up pretty well.
well i play vic firth x5b and seam to be lasting for long time but i can see the top end is getting worn through:(
THE STICKS I USE
pro-mark dave lombrdo signature VERY VERY DURABLE!! not a scracth out of them bought them last year!! don't use them much though
zildjian 5a dip (purple and black) new sticks but seem to be standing very well
i use to play vic firth 3A which were the best sticks i p0layed unntil the blooming tip chipped :(:(:(:( i will have to get another pair!!!!!

so i would go with a VIC FIRTH 3A OR PRO-MARK DAVE LOMBARDO(2BX)

moose

p.s i hope you like heavy sticks?? lol

Consider ordering Trueline sticks on the Internet.

I have had a pair of their 5B wood and nylon, 2B and 2B Rebounds for almost two years. The 5Bs and 2Bs are showing some where but the Rebounds are amazing.

Trueline 2B Rebounds are the most durable stick I've ever played. They're not a funky stick but they're great for digging in and being heard.

If you want a stronger stick play with softer hands.

^^^^X2!^^^^^

I used to go through a set of stick per hour when I was learning. I found out after watching some video of me playing that I was chopping at my hi hats. Combo of not having a clue about playing and not having a clue about hi hat placement.

That said, 4 years later I am still chopping at them a bit, but my style has changed enough that I only go through a set of sticks a month or so, jamming twice a week for 3 hours, home practice for 4 to 5 hours a week and a gig every other weekend. Same Steve Gadds...

That said, I switched to these so I would stop breaking cymbals. Turns out that was bad technique as well... I still broke a new (warranty replacement at that) cymbal and then I went for my one and only lesson. Showed my friend what I could do, he gave me a few tips on what I was doing wrong, and I don't kill sticks anywhere near as often.

It was costing me 24 bux a jam/gig before on sticks. Thats down to 24 bucks a month or so (usually on the cheaper side but you get the idea).

This is a really helpful thread for me on another note. My local (45 miles away... I live in the country up here in Canada) store is not carrying the volume of stock they used to and Steve Gadd's are now a "not stocked" item. IF they get an order, they will bring in a brick, then when its gone, no stock till the next order. I am gonna have to find a new more commonly used stick for the area... Damn recession!!!!!

Joe

Last edited:
vater 5b have served me well for a while with a pair lasting probably 1-3 months. i practice 20 minutes most days. play gigs on average once a month and jam with my band a little less then that. they kind of chip round the middle though as my style seems to have developed into playing mostly rimshots xD im thinking of trying out those promark japanease white oak ones.

Sounds like every one has had similar experiences with Zildjians... would not buy ever again.

Not much exp. w/ Vic Firth's, but I have with Vater and PM's. I'm currently using (and have been for a few years now) the PM's, 5AN's, I found that even after my normal inspection at the store, Vater's would break more often than PM's, typically in that "I've only been playing them for an hour, how could they break?" period. Those that survive the "initial impact" seem to last just as long as the PM's. I've only broken 1 PM in the last maybe, 6 months?

EDIT: Not sure what Vater's policy is, but I've had PM offer to replace sticks that I feel were breaking prematurely, without question. As far as standing behind your product goes, this is kinda awesome and has been a big reason why I'm using them over Vater. (save now button is "Vote now"...)

I'm not a heavy hitter so I don't break a lot of sticks. I'm only chiming in to say that you might want to consider buying sticks by the dozen. I've gotten many bricks of sticks on eBay for less than $4 per pair (Pro-Mark, Vic Firth, Vater, Ayotte). You should also check Atlanta Pro Percussion online. They sell both Pro-Mark and Vic Firth sticks by the dozen for $5.50 per pair.

I just picked up a pair of Promark Shira Kashi Oak sticks, the last pair that I really liked was Vic Firth 2B. I wanted to try a pair of Oak Promarks having never tried either and hearing from a bunch of people here that they're very durable, I'll let you all know how it goes.

I have used Regal Tip - Alex Van Halen - sticks for 20 years now. I hit HARD and do not break tips or sticks. These sticks are heavier and longer than all normal sticks (Hickory). Check them out....buy a pair to jam on and see the difference. However, I think most drummers will say "they are too heavy". The added length is amazing.

K

Overall for durability? I like the Aqarian X-10's. The graphite-nylon alloy means theyre tough as nails and can take a good battering. However if you're looking at a wood stick I would recommend a pair of vic firths, whatever the size. I find them most durable.

Hey Sync goat this thread is 8 months old, I'd guess the OP found sticks or turned to congas by now! Doc

My pro mark oaks last quite a beating before the wood tips finally fly off. Usually I can get 4-6 months of regular playing out of them before one stick breaks. Vic Firths I would break right and left. Vater felt like I was holding batons in my hand and kept slipping out during a fill.

Recently Guitar Center had some sticks on sale for their black friday promotion, I picked up four pair of Zildjian Z4Ns, they are maple and they are holding up well. I played about 3 hours last night with all my heart, and they still only look like they've been used for a half hour.

So I'd say Zildjian or Pro Mark, whichever is cheaper in your area.

I have only broken one pair of sticks in my life, which was a super cheap (20 kronor ~ 3 dollar)

Stick just broke into two pieces... really weird! And it was during a faster jazz/swing beat, which made it funnier. :)

I've bought a pair of Amir ?uestlove Thompson's signature stick - superlight and long, with griptape, and white coated except for tip, and a pair of Benny Greb's 5B. Looking forward to give a review. Before I've played Steve Jordan's signature sticks, but they chipped (?). Still very good feel.

For me Vic Firth american classic 5bn seem to stand up better that anything else I have tried.

Back