Amplification equipment for using a TD11 live

cpl_hicks

I recently got a Roland TD11-KV. I'd like to use this on gigs, but would be interested to know what equipment people use for amplification. Using the PA hasn't been a great success, as the drums don't sound anywhere near as good compared to using my headphones. The sound is way too resonant. Adjusting the muffling settings of individual drums has helped a bit.
Plus, the rest of the band are used to hearing the drum sound from the back, not through front placed speakers.
I'm also not sure our speakers are really up to the job.

So I was considering getting a separate amp and speaker(s) to project the drum sounds from the back of the stage. Would you say 2 speakers are required, or would 1 do the job?

Why don't you consider a small PA system for yourself? What you really need is a system that will reproduce all frequencies as well as you can afford, so that tells me PA system. For instance, I use two Yamaha A15 speakers, Crown XLS1500 power amp and an Allen &Heath ZED10fx mixer just for my Zendrum rig with the Roland TD10 module. I can fill a 1500 seat hall with that.

Mine sound good thru our Mackie 1530's along with everything else.

If I am just using it for the drums, in a small venue I may just bring one.

The Simmons you mention is simply awesome. I live in South America and faced with the same decision I decided to import it, which was pretty expensive with shipping, duties and all.

It's worth its weight in gold. Pristina reproduction, powerful, and even cool looking.

The Simmons you mention is simply awesome. I live in South America and faced with the same decision I decided to import it, which was pretty expensive with shipping, duties and all.

It's worth its weight in gold. Pristina reproduction, powerful, and even cool looking.

I agree. I've only had it a couple weeks, but I'm very impressed by it.

cpl_hicks - maybe you could convince the place where you got your e-drums from to start carrying it. It's worth a try anyways.

EDIT: - oops, I'm pretty sure Simmons is a Guitar Center exclusive thing. Other than that, Roland and Yamaha make some e-drum amps. And you could always use general purpose full range speakers and roll back the lows a bit.

Last edited:
I like to jam with the song and i simultaneously jack in my MP3 player out to the Alesis DM8 module and then line out the from the module to the headphone. The Audiotechnica headphone I use handles the song and the e-drum sound gracefully. However; if i were to use Simmons drum amp to do the same how does will it sound? has anyone tried or has any experience with that?

Back