Drummers Please help me (In ear monitors) !

liljoey

Hi guys,

I am using a Roland V drum set -up in my band set up, and I am using a click track for our live performances (Down- tempo, trip hop)

I want to buy a set of cool in ear monitors, maybe even just use the one, an keep one ear free, but i need them to be powerful (Loud) and so that the click is very prominent.

Can somebody name a set of in-ear monitors that would be suitable? I have heard that Shurde make good ones, can somebody tell me the name?

My bands link is here btw: as You see a click is essential for this kind of live performance

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=167544366

I would be most grateful and look forward to your replies, and I have always found you very helpful :)

Hi guys,

I am using a Roland V drum set -up in my band set up, and I am using a click track for our live performances (Down- tempo, trip hop)

I want to buy a set of cool in ear monitors, maybe even just use the one, an keep one ear free, but i need them to be powerful (Loud) and so that the click is very prominent.

Can somebody name a set of in-ear monitors that would be suitable? I have heard that Shurde make good ones, can somebody tell me the name?

My bands link is here btw: as You see a click is essential for this kind of live performance

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=167544366

I would be most grateful and look forward to your replies, and I have always found you very helpful :)

http://www.hartdynamics.com/products/audio/iem.html

here you go

I think that regardless of what in-ear monitors you choose you'll need a headphone amp. This is what I use for my click tracks (Behringer HA4700 Powerplay Pro XL Headphone Amplifier)....you can pump up the volume really high.

I've got a set of Sure In-ears...don't remember the model, and between these two, I get decent noise isolation, and I can hear my click track just fine.

This is what I use for my click tracks (Behringer HA4700 Powerplay Pro XL Headphone Amplifier)....

Yeah something like that, or I used a little Behringer 6 track mixing desk. I just had an inner earphone in one ear, a moulded one so it went in a bit further, £20 I think.

You will get plenty of volume and a better quality of sound. I'd recomend working down volume wise once you can hear it. Start loud but work it down over time so you can just hear it. Make sure you don't have a guitar amp in your face competing.

Hip Hop you say? If you have guys using electronics and you go down the mini mixer route, you will be able to get a feed from them and mix it into your headphonesl. Then you'll be well locked in, click one ear, electronics other ear or in both. Any guitars etc you'll hear over the top. Even get some vox in from the PA....you'll be well sorted mate!
:)

Apologies for late reply, have been extremely busy. Skull Candy with smallish inserts are impressive for VERY low $$$. Up from there is the Etymotic (i like the 4p $170) and up from there is what i now use which is the top model JHaudio (custom mold, $1200). Custom molds are impressive yet quality of course can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The trick i use is run the IEM wires BEHIND my back and use a normal thick rubber band around my neck with the wire between it and my skin to keep the ear wires slightly loose and from pulling out of the source component (drum brain, iPod, whatever). You could also use tape like a racecar driver and put tape on your ears over the IEMs.

I purchased a pair of the drmearz drm-1 iem's after reading some posts on this and other forums. I'll be honest I don't know squat about frequency curves and how they are reproduced, but I i can tell you I eq in more than enough low end bass drum and bass guitar in my mix with the drm earz and they are only single drivers. They never have any problems handling it. Its an extremely simple and inexpensive process. I use a small behringer eurorack mixer to sub mix my send from the main front of the house mixer or monitor desk depending on the venue. I always split my bass drum and vocals on separate channels of their own which enables me to eq each of them separately and separate from the monitor desk send. I have no problem whatsoever dialing the bass drum in nice and tight yet low and fat. Equally I can dial in the vocals or snare/toms (send) as needed. The small sub mixer also enables me to control both individual volumes and master volume from right next to my drums. Including the drm-1 iem's ($190), the behringer mixer (used on ebay for $50), cables and adapters I purchased at guitar center and radio shack (approx $40) I am still under $300. Depending on what iem company you use (they all seem the same to me except price) you can easily spend more money, but this was in my small budget range. I hope this helps with your decision.

I started out with a pair of V-Moda and quickly upgraded to Westone UM2 dual-driver in-ears. Westone is the cream of the crop when it comes to in-ear monitors. The UM1 is a single driver and the UM2 is a dual-driver. The UM1 runs around $100 and the UM2 around $250. If you want to invest in a good quality pair for a professional music set-up, get the UM2...well worth the money.

I have one thing to say......... generic fit ear buds are no comparison to custom fitted iems...... end of story!

Sorry if I'm leading off topic, but aren't the point of In-Ears to actually reduce the volume (in the phones I mean)?

I stopped using Iso-Phone type cans because even with those the volume remains loud enough to hurt your hearing when playing long gigs. I am very cautious with my hearing. After a check up with my ear doctor I got In- Ears with custom molds.

I personally to not advocate using one ear piece only - over time you will have the same problem that violinists have. That is an audition loss in one of your ears.

I don't know what your budget is so I'll just tell you that most In-Ears made for music (not the generic consumer models for Mp3 players) should to the trick. Decent models start at about 100 bucks. If the incoming signal is weak to the point that you cannot hear properly, like mentioned above, the headphone amplifier/personal mixer solution would be the way to go.

I strongly recommend the use of a limiter with In-Ear monitors - the day something goes wrong and you get a high input in your phones, it will not only be very painful but there are high risks you might end up with hearing injury.

Sorry to "crash on the party" to so say, but as musicians our hearing is very important to us.

This is a bit irrelevant here but this reminds me that I see these kids when taking the bus or in the metro with their Walkmans... Even a couple of meters away you can clearly hear the music from their headsets. It's just crazy! They don't know what's in for them in a few years or when they get older...

Anyway, be safe that's all I'm sayin'! : )

Last edited:
ONCE AGAIN....this is the guy trying to push his product on this forum by posing as someone else..........jeez......
The "only" other post on other forums is the ones he is posting!
no one is buying single driver monitors for drums!!!! come on dude......

I purchased a pair of the drmearz drm-1 iem's after reading some posts on this and other forums. I'll be honest I don't know squat about frequency curves and how they are reproduced, but I i can tell you I eq in more than enough low end bass drum and bass guitar in my mix with the drm earz and they are only single drivers. They never have any problems handling it. Its an extremely simple and inexpensive process. I use a small behringer eurorack mixer to sub mix my send from the main front of the house mixer or monitor desk depending on the venue. I always split my bass drum and vocals on separate channels of their own which enables me to eq each of them separately and separate from the monitor desk send. I have no problem whatsoever dialing the bass drum in nice and tight yet low and fat. Equally I can dial in the vocals or snare/toms (send) as needed. The small sub mixer also enables me to control both individual volumes and master volume from right next to my drums. Including the drm-1 iem's ($190), the behringer mixer (used on ebay for $50), cables and adapters I purchased at guitar center and radio shack (approx $40) I am still under $300. Depending on what iem company you use (they all seem the same to me except price) you can easily spend more money, but this was in my small budget range. I hope this helps with your decision.

I use triple driver units which really produce kick and completely isolate.
ALWAYS have some sort of limiter inline....you dont want to blow your ears out.

Sorry if I'm leading off topic, but aren't the point of In-Ears to actually reduce the volume (in the phones I mean)?

I stopped using Iso-Phone type cans because even with those the volume remains loud enough to hurt your hearing when playing long gigs. I am very cautious with my hearing. After a check up with my ear doctor I got In- Ears with custom molds.

I personally to not advocate using one ear piece only - over time you will have the same problem that violinists have. That is an audition loss in one of your ears.

I don't know what your budget is so I'll just tell you that most In-Ears made for music (not the generic consumer models for Mp3 players) should to the trick. Decent models start at about 100 bucks. If the incoming signal is weak to the point that you cannot hear properly, like mentioned above, the headphone amplifier/personal mixer solution would be the way to go.

I strongly recommend the use of a limiter with In-Ear monitors - the day something goes wrong and you get a high input in your phones, it will not only be very painful but there are high risks you might end up with hearing injury.

Sorry to "crash on the party" to so say, but as musicians our hearing is very important to us.

This is a bit irrelevant here but this reminds me that I see these kids when taking the bus or in the metro with their Walkmans... Even a couple of meters away you can clearly hear the music from their headsets. It's just crazy! They don't know what's in for them in a few years or when they get older...

Anyway, be safe that's all I'm sayin'! : )

Cool......... this is my second post on here. I'm new to this so excuse me if I don't have proper forum etiquette yet. I couldn't help but notice this user drummanic (alien ears) wants to make us believe that drummers don't use single driver monitors. That's just not true. In searching google for custom iem's for drummers I found drm earz. I read through the site and everything they said made total sense to me. In my search and actually talking to lots of them, I found that most drummers prefer single driver iem's because of the true flat sound you can only get with singles. I also saw in this post a list of how to get the big drum sound from single driver monitors by using a small sub mixer. Every big name drummer I see that uses custom iem's also use a sub mixer. How can they all be wrong? Of course, most of them use whatever is free so maybe they use dual or triple driver monitors, but what does that have to do with musicians on a tight budget. Using a small sub mixer & splitting the kick drum in its own channel will totally allow you to eq in more than enough low end to maximize the kick drum sound in single driver iem's. While it is only necessary to get one aux send from the main console, most drummers prefer to use their own sub mixer to allow ultimate control over their personal monitor mix. I was just on another post here and saw the drummanic (ae) guy/girl slamming the drm earz guy for posting an ad on here 6 months ago. All I can say is get a life. You act like you invented custom iem's. Everything you say about others seems to apply to yourself. Oh yeah, the ae, I mean drummanic person says always use a limiter in line. I disagree, if you split your channels on a sub mixer like the drmz4life guy says in a previous post, it is very easy to control your own individual channel volumes from right next to your drum kit at all times. Thus giving you complete control over your personal monitor mix instead of the front of the house engineer being in control of it. Drummers...... why spend more than what you need? Even if you use duals or triples you will still want a sub mixer and thats even more money spent. My point is..... plenty of drummers use single driver iem's.

You spoke with them and it all made sense to you....What the heck are you talking about?
Drummers DO YOUR HOMEWORK before buying in ear monitors!!!

First of all I do not work (nor have I ever) worked for Alien Ears so do not put (alien ears) next to my name just because someone on this forum is on to you...if you type drumearz.com into search engines it shows your same post over & over again on ten different forums!

you are obviously the same person who is logging into these forums and pushing single drivers for drummers......
Please show us one (just one) famous touring drummer that is in SINGLE drivers.....go to Ultimate ears...there are none...Westone...none...Alien Ears...none...Futuresonics...none.

Show us a review or article that single drivers are the way to go for drummers...none

I checked out your site and your "one" endorsee Nick Rich isn't exactly the cream of the drumming crop! lol

Saying "most drummers prefer single drivers" is a complete an utter Lie...buy your advertising like the other companies...its dishonest to come on here acting like your someone else...
THE MODERATOR SHOULD BAN YOU!

In your other post drmz4life you even use the Z just like on your site! lol....man.
drumz4life & drumrdoc are the same guy....

Cool......... this is my second post on here. I'm new to this so excuse me if I don't have proper forum etiquette yet. I couldn't help but notice this user drummanic (alien ears) wants to make us believe that drummers don't use single driver monitors. That's just not true. In searching google for custom iem's for drummers I found drm earz. I read through the site and everything they said made total sense to me. In my search and actually talking to lots of them, I found that most drummers prefer single driver iem's because of the true flat sound you can only get with singles. I also saw in this post a list of how to get the big drum sound from single driver monitors by using a small sub mixer. Every big name drummer I see that uses custom iem's also use a sub mixer. How can they all be wrong? Of course, most of them use whatever is free so maybe they use dual or triple driver monitors, but what does that have to do with musicians on a tight budget. Using a small sub mixer & splitting the kick drum in its own channel will totally allow you to eq in more than enough low end to maximize the kick drum sound in single driver iem's. While it is only necessary to get one aux send from the main console, most drummers prefer to use their own sub mixer to allow ultimate control over their personal monitor mix. I was just on another post here and saw the drummanic (ae) guy/girl slamming the drm earz guy for posting an ad on here 6 months ago. All I can say is get a life. You act like you invented custom iem's. Everything you say about others seems to apply to yourself. Oh yeah, the ae, I mean drummanic person says always use a limiter in line. I disagree, if you split your channels on a sub mixer like the drmz4life guy says in a previous post, it is very easy to control your own individual channel volumes from right next to your drum kit at all times. Thus giving you complete control over your personal monitor mix instead of the front of the house engineer being in control of it. Drummers...... why spend more than what you need? Even if you use duals or triples you will still want a sub mixer and thats even more money spent. My point is..... plenty of drummers use single driver iem's.

Last edited:
I use a small mixer the Behringer EURORACK UB802

its built like a tank and works great!
It has a headphone out and few channels in with eq.
the front of house sends me what I need and I can
change the levels and eq it!

I think that regardless of what in-ear monitors you choose you'll need a headphone amp. This is what I use for my click tracks (Behringer HA4700 Powerplay Pro XL Headphone Amplifier)....you can pump up the volume really high.

I've got a set of Sure In-ears...don't remember the model, and between these two, I get decent noise isolation, and I can hear my click track just fine.

Back