thoughts on heads.. please help asap i wanna buy em tonight =)

kc2086

I have a 6pc Gretsch Catalina Maple set looking to get new heads to replace the stock ones because they sound like shit.

10" tom
12" tom
14" tom
16" tom
14" snare
22" bass

My friend told me to mix the heads evans g2 batter coated(2 ply) on the tops and clear g1s(single ply) for the resonants.

Thats what he told me for the toms but should i do something different for the snare drum? i want something very deep and snappy sounding ( i think i need to change the metal band at the bottom as well on the snare (sorry not familiar with the term for that).

Im playing mostly rock, rap beats when Im bored on my own, some jazz jam sessions and just random stuff messing with some funk beats.

I HATE exessive ringing and my snare sounds like a tin can so im trying to avoid that as much as possible. I guess i like a more dark deep sound

Tom choice looks solid. I use the same set up on the same kit. Actually Emperors over Ambassadors....but same thing. 2ply over 1 ply.

I don't use the snare at all, but I also have an Emp over snare side Amb on that too. Sounds ok to my ear, but if you're worried about overtones, then check some of the pre-muffled options. No idea what the Evans equivalents are, but Remo have a Controlled Sound, Pinstripe or PS3 that are all designed for the purposes of eliminating overtones.....Evans will have similar options, but someone else will have to guide you on them.

Unsure what "metal band" you're referring to though. I'm thinking perhaps you mean the snares wires? I've kept mine stock, but as I said, I never use it so if you feel the need to change 'em, then why not.

Last edited:
I've got Remo PS3's on both batter and reso. I've used them for years. If you're set on Evans then possibly look into the EMAD or one of the EQ models.

I have a 6pc Gretsch Catalina Maple set looking to get new heads to replace the stock ones because they sound like shit.

10" tom
12" tom
14" tom
16" tom
14" snare
22" bass

My friend told me to mix the heads evans g2 batter coated(2 ply) on the tops and clear g1s(single ply) for the resonants.

Thats what he told me for the toms but should i do something different for the snare drum? i want something very deep and snappy sounding ( i think i need to change the metal band at the bottom as well on the snare (sorry not familiar with the term for that).

Im playing mostly rock, rap beats when Im bored on my own, some jazz jam sessions and just random stuff messing with some funk beats.

I HATE exessive ringing and my snare sounds like a tin can so im trying to avoid that as much as possible. I guess i like a more dark deep sound

The coated G2 over clear G1 is my vote. They have been the best sound on my Gretsch Renown set.

I'd agree the G2 over G1 is a straightforward, all-around head choice for the toms. Maybe EC Resonants if you want a little more low end.

If you want to cut overtones on the snare I'd go for either the Evans ST Dry or HD Dry.

I'd agree the G2 over G1 is a straightforward, all-around head choice for the toms. Maybe EC Resonants if you want a little more low end.

If you want to cut overtones on the snare I'd go for either the Evans ST Dry or HD Dry.

I totally agree.

I myself wanted to reduce excess ringing on the snare. The Genera HD DRY has a shorter sustain (shortens any ringing) and brighter attack. Also is slightly thinner than the ST.
Both "DRY" versions are vented around the perimeter which can further eliminate overtones. I chose the HD Dry. Nice deep crack, little overtone/ringing. Warning, the snare can sound less "open", almost dampened.

Some great recommendations on heads with the G2/G1 combo. ST Dry is a great head (currently have one on my 14x6.5" Tama Artstar). The EMADs are always a solid option for the kick drum. Let us know what you go with in the end and what you think. Photos of kits with fresh heads are always nice too...

Some great recommendations on heads with the G2/G1 combo. ST Dry is a great head (currently have one on my 14x6.5" Tama Artstar). The EMADs are always a solid option for the kick drum. Let us know what you go with in the end and what you think. Photos of kits with fresh heads are always nice too...

Can anyone comment on the tone difference between the ST and HD dry heads? I've seen the charts on the Evans website, but I did not listen to the ST's in person. Our church DW drumset has the HD DRY and it sounded nice enough to me, so I figured what the heck!

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you play your snare dead center, where did the overtones go?

All snares have overtones. How you strike the drum determines how much of those overtones are audible.

I would go with a standard 1 or 2 ply coated head and moongel it. That way you can adjust your overtones for the room, and not be locked into anything.

Back