Evans EQ4

I have only tried the EQ2 on my Bass drum i don't know if that helps? I'm getting the resonant EQ3 head soon , i use Evans hydraulics on the toms, genera 1's as batters, power center reverse dot on the primary snare and ST dry on the secondary snare.

They are the same design--a one-ply head with a perimeter ring made of head material. They sound a little different due to the different films used. I've always used PS3s but I imagine I'd like the EQ4, too. Never heard them side-by-side.

I'm using Evans EQ4 batter heads on all my bass drums, but I can't compare them side by side to a PS3. I run them without any type of muffling internal to the bass drum. My Gretsch Renowns came with an Evans Emad batter head, but I prefer the sound of the EQ4. You can vary the sound of your bass drum vastly by the way they are tuned.

Dennis

They are the same design--a one-ply head with a perimeter ring made of head material. They sound a little different due to the different films used. I've always used PS3s but I imagine I'd like the EQ4, too. Never heard them side-by-side.

I thought they were both 10mil mylar? Whats the difference?

Has anybody tried an Evans EQ4 setup? If so is it better than a PS3 or worse?

Yes, have played them both on a couple of different drums. The EQ4 is Evans' best bass drum head, IMO...but it's not as good as a PS3. I'm always able to get a bigger, fatter, rounder sound out of the PS3, for whatever reason.

Evans is just missing something that I just can't put my finger on. No idea why.

I thought they were both 10mil mylar? Whats the difference?

All mylar is not the same. Different formulas. I should specify that I've been told by someone in the industry that Remo and Evans use different formula films, but I do not know that for a fact.

It's worth remembering that we use the term "mylar" like we do the term "kleenex." Both are proprietary product names ("mylar" is DuPont's, I believe), but anybody can make facial tissues and anybody can make a polyester film, and what we call "mylar" is available from a number of different sources.

As far as PS3 vs EQ4 goes, allowing for the fact that I've heard (and used) them both but never heard them side-by-side on the same drum, the PS3 sounds "meatier" to me, while the EQ4 sounds a little less complex, if you will. Both are great heads.

Last edited:
On my old YD kit, I put an EQ3 batter on there coupled with an Aquarian Regulator reso. I recorded my last album with it (www.myspace.com/jaredjongeling).

The sound in person was deep, resonant, and sounded like a subwoofer. It was totally fantastic. I think the EQ4 would be pretty similar.

Back