Is drumming your career, or do you have a day job and do it as a hobby?

I do have a daily job which keeps me very busy and committed.
It's my livelihood to take the bread & butter to home everyday. Playing The Drums is my core and passionate hobby, above all...Drums are truly an ode to joy for me!

...Interesting thread you brought up to surface! :´)

Great, great thread, awesome replies!!

I moved to NY on February, and I've been really lucky, somehow I'm able to pay my bills through playing and teaching. It's true that the first months were rough, but that's how it's supposed to be right?
Getting the job done, having a positive attitude and being lucky about meeting the right people and the right occasion are key factors I think.

Hi Lindsay,

There are some great responses on here that I've enjoyed reading quite a lot. You might also check out Derek Roddy's interview with Jonathan Mover in the latest "DrumHead" magazine where he tells his story of figuring out how to pursue his passions and also make a good living (Mover says some interesting things about this as well).

I'm not sure if my story would be helpful or not, but I'll give it a go anyway. ;-)

I did go to music school right after high school (though I didn't stay long enough to graduate) and I made a living from playing for several years. For me, the living wasn't great and I eventually decided to return to college and graduate school to pursue another of my passions. My experience has been similar to what Bo and Bermuda said--now that I'm not constantly hustling for gigs to pay the bills, I have the freedom to be a bit more picky, enjoy things a bit more and even play better (though the latter also comes from continual practice and listening). And in addition to a house, cars, health insurance, etc., I actually have more money for drums and cymbals. This is what's working for me but like Larry said, everyone makes it work in their own ways.

For example, my best friend who went to music school with me ended up staying and graduating and, through getting himself known before leaving (as Bermuda said, it's who knows you), had a relatively high-level gig lined up right away. Since then, his career has flourished and he enjoys the experience of making a living not only playing music but playing his music and other music that he is passionate about. So, there's another version of how this thing can work out for people.

Just remembered--you might also check out Zoro's book "The Big Gig" which is all about this very subject.

I wish you the best in your adventures! For me, shaping a life for myself that allows me to regularly engage with my passions has been extremely satisfying and I hope your journey is just as fulfilling!

I'd love drumming to be my career, it's definitely a huge hobby for me. I'm young and currently unemployed, but I do a lot of school productions and odd jobs for free; very recently I did We Will Rock You (the Queen musical) and I helped my teacher do some samba drumming workshops at another school.

I don't mind doing this as I consider myself a student and it all helps me to learn not only the technical side of playing drums, but the 'lifestyle' side of getting things set up, learning how to educate others, interacting with people before/after/during a show .etc which are essential skills that any professional musician, drummer or otherwise, will find handy. Perhaps I'll want money if I ever make it professionally, haha.

I'm joining the British Army as a musician (yep, they have that in the army) at which point I'll be lucky enough to play a wide variety of music and percussion parts (orchestral, not just kit) for a regular salary and even a pension when/if I retire from the Army. I'm hoping to join a band based in London - there are around 20 bands I believe, all based in different areas of the UK, but the Guards and Household bands are based in London - because I know a lot of those people will do Army stuff in the mornings/day and then go do West End shows in the evening, which I think would be good for me. I suppose it's different for me than most as I won't have to be hunting around for gigs to pay the bills, but if I leave the Army at some point I'll want to continue drums for a living as a civilian.

So yeah, I'm an aspiring professional like yourself and I don't have the experience to really comment on it that much, but what I would say is take every opportunity you get while you're young and have the ability to do so, even if it leads to nowhere, because even if it's not a challenging or interesting part musically it will help develop your mindset to becoming a working musician.

If you do/don't live off of your drumming career, how has that affected your life in a negative/positive way?

I am not a "professional" drummer......like most I have a day job....play at nights and gig when I can

What is your best advice to a young drummer wanting to make drumming their career?

Bottom line, as in anything in life.....Give it everything you have.

Did you go to school for drumming?

Yes.....5 years.....then life happened

A lot of great things have already been said, so I'll keep it simple.

If you do/don't live off of your drumming career, how has that affected your life in a negative/positive way?
Playing the drums is my career. I don't have a day job or anything non-drumming related.
I play live, record and teach a few lessons on the side.
The up side is I am doing what I want for a living, down side is it's not a lot of money. I have a bare-bones kind of style of living. I haven't even owned a tv in 3 years. You have to always be working and you never know were your next paycheck will come from. I think this is the first year I have been able to take some time off here and there to vacation or visit family in many many years.

What is your best advice to a young drummer wanting to make drumming their career?
Don't get locked into just one project or band (unless the money is good and coming in on the regular). Get out there and play with as many people and in as many styles of music as you can. You never know who will call you up after a gig and ask you for another one. Happened to my just last week. I shot a music video for an R&B artist well over a year ago, almost two. Haven't talked to him much since, and just last week he called me to fill in for a gig two days ago.

No, I have been taking private lessons for about 19 years.

What was your best learning experience/did you go to school for music?
It's all good. There is no "one thing" that is better advice or a better skill than anything else. If I had to narrow it down I would say, play with a click, don't ignore your left foot or ghost notes.

The other side of the coin - I've played for a long time and never looked like going pro, although that was my hope in my 20s.

In the end I came to realise that I don't have what it takes - I am simply not a natural drummer, or even a natural musician. I'm a bit physically unco although tons of drumming, general musical dabbling and sports over the years have improved my coordination out of sight as compared with how it was.

Also, I have always had a tendency towards momentary mental fadeouts and that's not something any person who works in "real time" can afford. I don't think I've ever performed a full song without fading out and losing a little momentum at some stage.

However, I have long been a passionate music fan and I enjoy many styles and approaches. At heart I'm an ideas person and work best when not operating in real time. I need to be able to go back and review and tweak and add. Since I prefer my music organic to digital I'd rather play flawed drums than do cool things with drum machines. So it goes.

I can see by the clip that you have "it". I hope you enjoy your gift and don't take it for granted. Always honour music and honour your gift. Not everyone has it.

My 2c

Back in the early 80's I always wanted to have music as a career. Once I had it as a career (for about 6 years), I decided I no longer wanted to do it. I began to not have fun any longer, to make a very long story short.

Not doing it as a career now has allowed me to enjoy the freedom of playing what and when I want and with whom. I now select only a few adult students instead of worrying about building a packed schedule to bring in more money.

I decided I wanted a more stable / steadier form of work (if that's even possible in today's world) so I went to college for a degree and went to work. It has allowed me to have a modest life that I don't think music would of provided. Most importantly, it allows me to live a schedule permitting me to be with my wife and child and not running off to the next gig, rehearsal or whatever.

Music and drumming play a crucial role. It is my only hobby and it it what I am most passionate about after my family.

Not only have your musical and personal life together, but have your business life together as well.

I didn't go to "school" as in a place like Berklee or MIT but I am fortunate to have the Eastman School of Music in my town which provided me years worth of music / drumming education. Additionally there are a few killer teachers outside of ESM who I've also benefited from immensely. Lastly, I'm a quick flight to Drummer's Collective so I used to use that as well a bit.

What was your best learning experience/did you go to school for music?
My many years of studying with great teachers helped me to carry on learning to this day. They taught me how to learn and how to work with material which goes much, much deeper than the surface of what's written.

Playing, playing and playing more in all sorts of settings has probably been my best experience. Especially playing with people much better than myself.

It was a "career" for me for a time in my life. Perhaps not a good source of income, but it was my main focus above all else, for a few periods of time, all I did. And many of "day jobs" back at the time were in drum shops, so I was always around drums.

At this point in my life, it's just a hobby.

As for how it transitioned from "career" to "hobby"
It would be easy to blame singers with alcohol and/or ego problems that ruined good situations.

It would be easy to blame assorted band members who weren't as driven that ruined good situations.

It would be easy to blame inept band managers who didn't make good decisions.

It would be easy to blame just a lack of talent on my part.

But, as I look back, I can say the main reason drumming it not my career comes to networking.
I was good as getting out there and meeting people. I was lousy at getting people to know me.

So while a lot of people knew I was a drummer, not enough knew I was the available guy who would show up on time, be prepared, with the right gear to do the gig. And when one band or musical situation would end, I didn't always have the next gigs lined up, or have all those little gigs you do that lead to the better gigs.

But it's not all bad as a hobbiest. I have a wonderful wife and two awesome kids, a nice place to live, and medical insurance, none of which I would have if I was out on the road or still slugging it out in the clubs.

EDIT: And yes, I did go to music school (PIT). It was a fun year, and I look back at it fondly. But in the real world, no one cares HOW you learned to do the gig, people only care IF you can do the gig.

Reading all of these great posts it really makes me wish I would have taken a shot at a career in drumming. It's been a passion and love of mine most of my life though. Always just a hobby and source of satisfaction for me.

I do drumming as a hobby. I just like to jam and play gigs like parties. If I want to play with exceptional musicians, then I have to play exceptionally well. That's how I look at it.

Definitely a hobby. I play for myself in the basement. It's a small audience but one I know that will always show up :)

I'm sure a huge majority of drummers on this forum would love have a career in drumming, but as it's already been stated thousands of times, most drummers never get famous.

I work a warehouse job. I make nine bucks an hour. I typically work 4-5 days a week, 8 hour shifts. Sometimes I have to work saturdays, in which case I bring home a $400 check. My wife is a pre-school teacher. We live comfortable.

I have an 18 month old daughter, and I've never spent more than a day away from my wife. I would love to be famous, but I could never leave my family behind. So maybe it's best that it just stays a dream.

I'm sure a huge majority of drummers on this forum would love have a career in drumming, but as it's already been stated thousands of times, most drummers never get famous.

fame has absolutely nothing to do with drumming being someones career

It's my main hobby but not the only one. I had a band but we didn't dream about becoming real stars. And now I just play for myself. Asides from drumming I like astronomy. Did you know that Enceladus might have life in its under-ice ocean https://solarstory.net/satellites/enceladus? Such things inspire me to learn more about our solar system and the Universe in general.

All I can say is have a backup plan. Don't listen to naysayers and pursue your dream but in case things don't pan out, you can have some stability. I'm a career Software Engineer because I wasn't a fan of the rockstar lifestyle and sleaze back in the 80's/90's while I was playing semi-pro and fostering deals with labels. I knew I didn't want to be part of that but still wanted to do nothing else but play the drums (still do), and I play in a few original projects, record for others and etc., quite busy but still have a stable life.

Chris Adler, drummer of Lamb of God/Megadeth is a good example of someone with a backup plan, he went to school for Network Engineering/IT in case music didn't pan out. There's lots of examples in the metal scene where guys still work as professionals, have side work or have side businesses.

Just prepare for the worst and you'll never be bummed :)

Not really. My living is teaching others to play drums.

I was a full time musician for years, but as a guitar player.

I'd say:

1) Networking.

2) Location.

3) Some sort of income to facilitate #1 and #2.

4) Be prepared and professional.

5) Be honest, up front, trustworthy and stick with commitments and leave bands or projects without sour grapes.

6) People talk about humility, but you shouldn't let people push you around. There's a smart way to do that and a really stupid one.

Holy zombie threads Batman! This thread was started 6.5 years ago!

Since then, our young heroine, Lindsay Artkop, has gone on to do some pretty cool things.

She was the 2015 "Hit Like a Girl" drumming champion in the over-18 division.
https://hitlikeagirlcontest.com/hit-like-girl-announces-winners-2015-star-studded-show-drum-channel/

In 2016 she graduated from Berklee, and is currently residing in LA, making her living playing drums and making music.

It's cool to see a thread like this, and to see that the OP went on to make their living as a working musician.

Making as much money performing as a drummer as you would make with most college degrees is a matter of luck...and its regular work...there everyday...no dry seasons. Possibility of not getting work is higher in drum performance than most other work fields that pay better.

Heck, I make more than double in the IT industry than I see pro drummers making except a few very lucky drummers out there.

Most pro drummers jump ship once they do the math re: retirement.

Only reason to perform drums for a living is if you love it and don't mind poverty.

Keep in mind, there are many lucky folks on this board.

I have a pretty good day job. Senior Systems Administrator at a global electronics distribution company.

Back