Headphones for DTX450K?

Rev97

So i'm really bothered by the acoustic noise of the stick hitting the hi-hat and i thought that a good pair of noise-isolating/canceling headphones would do the trick. I have cheap studio headphones (~$35) which are pretty average.

I was looking at tons of headphones, preferred by both drummers and audiophiles and i've no idea what to pick. My main requirement is that they should drown out the tap-tap of the pads and that the audio quality should by above-average if i'm going to be paying ~$100 for them.

I was looking at AudioTechnica ATHM50 which is said to be one of the best headphones out there. But what i got from all the reviews was that it was mainly for recreational listening - no one said anything about its noise-isolating capability. I was looking at Sennheisers, all the way from the $20 HD201s to the more-expensive ones (nothing above $100 please). I also checked out Vic Firth Isolation headphones and the Roland RHs but idk people were saying they weren't that great and that I should check out "GK-music headphones" but those were ~$350 so that's a no-no.

So if there any headphones that would block external noise and offer good audio for about a 100 bucks, please tell me :)

If you really don't want to heard the acoustic noise, you need a pair of in ear headphones.
I suggest something like the Shure SE-215 and use the foam tips.

No over head headphones will cancel that much noise at the price you want to pay...
Actually, except electronic noise cancelling headphones, in ear headphones will always cut way more noise.

VicFirth sounds like crap and isolation wise, don't cut enough bass, ATH-M50 sounds ok if you like big bass but the isolation is poor at best...

Phil.

prod_img_se215_l.jpg

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

Sorry I can't speak for DTX450k, I have TD-12..but the ATH-M50 are plenty good enough for my own use, though a bit expensive jmo. And they're good quality and balanced sounding cans, for non-audiophile usage. Average for isolation given it's targeted buyer. Perhaps your hats are more noisy...? I'm out of touch with the differences between e-kits.

If you really don't want to heard the acoustic noise, you need a pair of in ear headphones.
I suggest something like the Shure SE-215 and use the foam tips.

No over head headphones will cancel that much noise at the price you want to pay...
Actually, except electronic noise cancelling headphones, in ear headphones will always cut way more noise.

VicFirth sounds like crap and isolation wise, don't cut enough bass, ATH-M50 sounds ok if you like big bass but the isolation is poor at best...

Phil.

prod_img_se215_l.jpg

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

I would agree with this generally. Further, I have a pair of $300 Bose noise-canceling phones, and they most certainly will NOT 'cancel' stick-hitting-pad type noise. They are really for canceling out constant low-pitch drone noise, like airplane engines. They are great for that, not so much for other sounds. I also have a pair of Etymotic plugs that are awesome for blocking. The foam-type plugs are best:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.html

The ATH-M50's are great for e-drums. I use them with my DTX550 kit. The question probably becomes whether you want over-the-ear, or in-the-ear. They both have pluses and minus, but if you go with the ATH-M50s, I don't think you'll be disappointed, and I also don't think you'll find a better headphone at the price.

The m50s are great. I have heard these received some sort of upgrade. I think it is just that the cord is now detachable.

-guys, the M-50 do sounds good, but the OP don't want to heard
the noise that the sticks makes on the pads, so in my opinion, it's
not a good recommendation in that situation.

Phil.

-guys, the M-50 do sounds good, but the OP don't want to heard
the noise that the sticks makes on the pads, so in my opinion, it's
not a good recommendation in that situation.

Phil.
Honestly, it's barely audible. If I turn the headphone jack volume up to a reasonable level, there's little to no noise. But maybe I'm not as picky as some.

Back