Band Lighting Gear?

Chromium

At the suggestion of member 'keep it simple', I'd like to ask about band lighting. I'm considering how to build a worthwhile small-gig set that my trio can use to improve our stage show, possibly dazzling our audience (quite literally) with something they'll really remember. Ultimately I want to build something that blows away the audiences, particularly midi triggered from my kit. But for now a much smaller and affordable start...

I would be very interested to know...
  • What lighting kit (makes, models etc.) you or your band uses and how effective it is.
  • Do you use moving lights? Color washes? Strobes? Lasers? Glitter balls? etc.
  • Does it look cool, or cheesy?
  • What kind of lighting do you think suits your music?

As well as being the drummer, I handle all the kit used by our band (in fact I own most of it). I'm very technical and have been a professional TV director, TV/video cameraman, and producer of electronic music in the past, for a living, so things like midi triggering and computer linking etc. DMX and the like don't scare me and are well within my capability.

As well as being the drummer, I handle all the kit used by our band (in fact I own most of it). I'm very technical and have been a professional TV director, TV/video cameraman, and producer of electronic music in the past, for a living, so things like midi triggering and computer linking etc. DMX and the like don't scare me and are well within my capability.

And you're asking us what to buy?

You can do a great deal on the cheap these days. I ran a 3 scene system and fog machine from a DIY foot switch rig behind the kit for about 6 months.

I've seen many lighting systems actually detract from the band. I'm not talking about concert systems, but the local club scene. The first rule (this should be obvious, but for some reason it isn't) is to make sure the audience can see the band. This precludes the use of DJ-type moving lights and strobes, unless they are used sparingly for special effect. I also don't like the low-end systems that flash on and off in time to the music. That gets annoying really fast. I have an old-school system with 8 par-56 cans and a foot controller. I use a total of six behind the band and two in front. The foot controller lets me program up to 8 scenes. I usually pick a scene at the beginning of the song and keep it that way for the remainder.

I would recommend not building your own fixtures and controllers. If you're not going the LED route, current draw can add up very quickly and likelihood of electrical and fire danger is increased. Better to leave the design of the individual components to the pros.

And you're asking us what to buy?

Huh? No what you recommend. Like I said one of our members 'keep it simple' suggested I make this post... What I was explaining is my background so people realise they can talk technical if they like.

I've seen many lighting systems actually detract from the band.

That I can believe, and not what I'm aiming for at all. Yes looking for multi-scene or pattern, but not a disco!

I would recommend not building your own fixtures and controllers. If you're not going the LED route...

Whilst technically capable, I have no intention of doing that, simply don't have time or desire. I intend to go LED all the way.

What I really want to know is your recommended makes and models that you have actually used, not just something we can all look at in a catalog. :)

For the club scene and the drum kit, a drummer would do well with a AMERICAN DJ MEGA GO PAR 64, small, lightweight, no heat and the light looks great on video, and can run cordless for 10 + hrs, remote control operated also.

Back