Is it crazy for a beginner to get the DTX700?

The way I see it, if your budget permits it, find out what has the best pads and go for that.
In my opinion, with electronic drums, the closer you can get to the feeling of playing an acoustic kit, the better. And that can be very expensive.

I don't know that model but, as a beginner, forget about how many input and output ports it has and make sure that pads and processor are good enough to give you the feeling of playing a real drumset.
If that gets expensive and you can afford it, then go for it.

That's just my 2 cents thoug.

If you can afford the 700 and you think you're gonna stick with it, I'd get the DTX700.. Newer module, more editing and expansion capability, better editing interface, better TCS pads, the ability to load samples, etc...

The DTX 700 option is not crazy, just expensive. Four years ago I returned to drumming. I bought the top of the line Yamaha E kit. Played the snot out of it for 6 months. Next, I bought an acoustic set fell in love with the real thing and never looked back. If I had a do over, I'd rather put the extra money ($1500?) into a better kit and used pro level cymbals. Most folks don't prefer electric kits. You probably won't want to gig with them either. BTW I don't use 1/100ths of my modules capabilities nor do I want to, too much hassle and just not satisfying. Sorry E guys, just one mans opinion.

I purchased the 520. I watched so many videos and reviews I just couldn't justify the 700 series. If I outgrow the 520, which is highly unlikely, I'll upgrade. ;)

If you are dealing with parents, neighbors, or just want to keep a general low volume? Go electric. Otherwise, stick with acoustic. I used to own a Roland V Pro back in the day. Best thing I ever did was get rid of it. Just like my jet boat. Hope this helps.

well, i'll sat ive never owned a drum set in my life and i just bought a brand new td30kv. i didn't have to pay the advertised retail of 7,500, as a matter of fact i got it for a few thousand dollars cheaper (please do research before paying over 6k for this kit). The point being that a cool instrument is a cool instrument. Being well versed in other instruments, i've learned to love and appreciate all badass instruments regardless of your skill level. If you are serious about putting in the time to learn a new instrument, get the best damn one you can afford! Why not? I played the roland td30k and the td30kv side by side, and even tho i couldve gotten a lesser model, i chose the one that felt the best to me. not because its the most expensive kit there is, but because it felt the best. It arrives wednesday and i've never been as excited about music in years. I don't know much about the dtx700, but i gather you are questioning purchasing it because of you skill level. youre thinking you should get the lesser model since youre not that good and maybe your skills wouldn't justify the purchase. I strongly believe it will as you'll grow into it, and youll definatgely have a better playing experience which will in turn make you better becaue you'll be putting in more hours. I honestly can only share my recent purchase story since its the same dilema as yours, but i don't know jack shit about the drums .But im confident as hell that i'm gonna love my new kit. I'd say go for it dude

I've actually got an acoustic set, well my son does. It's sat around for 10 years and apparently he sold the cymbals and stands and who knows what else. But I want an electronic set so I don't drive my wife nuts while I'm learning. She went through enough when I learned guitar!

The DTX700 module is quite a lot better than the DTX500 module. It is worth it, even for a beginner, because you get more out of the Hi Hat. The hi hat feels and sounds closer to an acoustic one. So just for that, without getting into the technical features, it is worth paying more for the 700.

So the module can be upgraded? If that's the case one could build a custom set correct? In the future I could get a better module and upgrade my hi hats?

So the module can be upgraded? If that's the case one could build a custom set correct? In the future I could get a better module and upgrade my hi hats?

The module itself usually can't be upgraded, only the components that you plug into the module. For example, exchanging single zone pads/cymbals for multi-zone ones.

If you want more features in your module, you have to sell it and get a different one. Or get one that has those features in the first place.
Sounds like you need to download some manuals and do a little more research on what you'd be getting into.

Changed my mind and cancelled my order. I'm going with the DTX790. I really want those pads!

Congrats on the buy. I purchased a DTX 530 in November. I like the real Hi Hat over the 520. I am just returning after a 30 year on the beach period. Let me say this....I also play with a few others in a studio, and I play a top end TAMA kit there...not mine but part of the studio set up. I have to say I sucked, as I didn't know the songs, forgot my rudiments etc. In one month practicing on my 530, I transitioned back to the acoustic with no problem, and my fellow musicians could not believe how much I improved in a single month. You will not be disappointed. We are classic rock, AC/DC, Stones, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, LZep etc oriented. Have fun!

Ok, finally placed my order. Went a little crazy and got the DTX900k bundle from Kraft Music. I can't see why anyone would order from anyone else.

The more expensive electronic kits are better to play. This goes for Roland and Yamaha. No question. So enjoy your new kit.

As for the TD30KV, spare a thought for those that don't live in the USA. A TD30KV here in UK costs £6,200, which is $9,950!

Davo

Back