HIP HOP

Most of the LPs I buy for hip hop mixes are made special meaning they're 99% scratch proof and they're made especially for Djs. You pay a little more for them.

That's interesting. Makes sense. I would have loved scratch proof LPs *sigh*. The prices are steep. I just checked out a site ... $89
omg.gif

But yeah I caused quite an uproar when my first mix got a lot of hits and all those jazz guys saw me butchering that Love Supreme album which WAS NOT scratch proof. It was also my Dad's record, and he knew nothing of it until he saw the youtube track a month or so later. Needless to say I had to go to Detroit to one of those LP collectibles places and spend really good money to replace the LP with another BRAND NEW LP. He wasn't accepting a CD. He wanted his LP. After that I left Dad's records alone lol.

lol - that was adventurous! When your Dad bought it, it was probably only $3. They're like gold now. Damn, if I'd known I could have donated Mum's horrible Nana Mouskouri LP to the cause - no loss there. Funky scratch Greek MOR - yeeha :)

Most of the LPs I buy for hip hop mixes are made special meaning they're 99% scratch proof and they're made especially for Djs. You pay a little more for them. But yeah I caused quite an uproar when my first mix got a lot of hits and all those jazz guys saw me butchering that Love Supreme album which WAS NOT scratch proof. It was also my Dad's record, and he knew nothing of it until he saw the youtube track a month or so later. Needless to say I had to go to Detroit to one of those LP collectibles places and spend really good money to replace the LP with another BRAND NEW LP. He wasn't accepting a CD. He wanted his LP. After that I left Dad's records alone lol.

Matt, those clips sound great. Nice work!

I love the story. Made me laugh.

Neither have I, but not all metal is death metal.
Thanks for telling me that, I had no idea... </sarcasm>

but FYI, Beserker started out as an industrial solo project.

Also, we didn't say metal, we said "mainstream rock"...
Anything "metal" that's lighter than Bon Jovi isn't metal in the first place.

Venom
Onslaught
Slayer
Megadeth
Carcass
Pantera
Motorhead
Saxon
Iron Maiden
White Zombie

I'd love to see them get out-volumed by Rhianna or any chart bothering crap (which really, is where "Mainstream rock" goes)

You do have a point about EBM tho'

Thanks for telling me that, I had no idea... </sarcasm>

I wasn't being condescending.

but FYI, Beserker started out as an industrial solo project.

I know I'm from Melbourne.

Also, we didn't say metal, we said "mainstream rock"...
Anything "metal" that's lighter than Bon Jovi isn't metal in the first place.

There are different degrees of heaviness, a lot of more folk/doom/post metal stuff isn't as abrasive as say, Linkin Park.

The guys over at archives have great fun arguing this, they don't consider Grindcore metal but they do consider Sunn metal, who have no drums and create what is essentially ambiance with metal guitars.

My point was, not all metal is Pantera or Deicide, that is why I dislike people pigeon holing it.

Genres are an evil thing.

I think Madlib is a genius along with Dilla and Doom. Dilla's Donuts album never ceases to become tiring. The Unseen is one of the most interesting albums I've listened to and Madvilliany was just a masterpiece.

Spot on. Dilla for me is highly influential, as well as Madlib. Madlib`s Medicine Shows are so inspirational, his Shades Of Blue kisses me as an addicted to the sound of jazz culture. His Beat Konducta series....masterpieces. Oh and Mind Fusion. I couldn`t ever stop.....Liberation with Talib Kweli....

As for Dilla...no words, just enjoying that vibe.

Karl

Spot on. Dilla for me is highly influential, as well as Madlib. Madlib`s Medicine Shows are so inspirational, his Shades Of Blue kisses me as an addicted to the sound of jazz culture. His Beat Konducta series....masterpieces. Oh and Mind Fusion. I couldn`t ever stop.....Liberation with Talib Kweli....

As for Dilla...no words, just enjoying that vibe.

Karl

I'm into Madlib as well. They do sort of pull on the jazz strings don't they?

This sidebar discussion about metal is interesting to me too. I've always found it amazing how their hardcore aficianados pigeonhole the genres with the same ferocity of the jazz aficiandos. You would have thought they would have learned from the jazz crowd that flailing away at what everybody thinks is and isn't only alienates your scene and dooms your stuff to underground status. Despite the extroidinary differences in the music itself, the only difference between the mindsets of jazz and metal lover /not always the musicians/ is that the metal guys think the jazz guys are after them too whereas the jazz crowd doesn't care what the metal guys think of them. IMO this is a recipe for failure. I've never been any particular fan of the metal stuff of any genre or classification, but I certainly respect those drummers. There's obviously some serious talent there, so it's ashame to see the metal self destruct button always on.

I really don't understand why so many people hate hip-hop and rap. Can you understand some of them? No. Why? Because it's their technique, just as Buddy Rich drummed fast, they spit lyrics fast. And everybody loves Buddy.

Also, some other person mentioned how they hated a certain band because of what they "think" the band is about. I honestly HATE it when a person doesn't like something based on the facts that he or she "think" a band or genre is something when in reality, he or she has no idea what the band/genre is about. I thought I would dislike spinach when I was younger because I always heard it was nasty and disgusting, when in reality, I love spinach now.

I can understand if someone doesn't like hip hop or rap, but at least listen to some of it. Some rappers are just horrible, I agree. But there are some (Talib, Mos Def, older Eminem) that just take hip hop and make it them. And they are GOOD at it.

I like a good hip hop song, and I like to dance and used to even have 12-inch subs in my trunk. I’m mid-thirties now though, and although I still listen to some, it’s the stuff I grew up with like 2pac or Eazy-E.

What I do NOT like, is that every time someone says they enjoy rap on the internet, you have to deal with a post like that. So, logically many just assume that rap/hip hop is largely for morons and go about their way.

It was mentioned earlier that the whole gangsta thing has been beaten to death, and I totally agree! Rap is a special kind of music. Country largely deals with liquor/love/back roads, hard rock and rock deal with love, fast cars and liquor (many times) and rap deals with guns, violence, rape, gangs, prison and the like. So odd haha. what happened to the sir mix a lots and the DJ Jazzy Jeffs who had really good rap tunes without all the meaningless drivel?

Sigh.

There are different degrees of heaviness, a lot of more folk/doom/post metal stuff isn't as abrasive as say, Linkin Park.
Which is funny as I don't find Linkin Park "abrasive" at all.

SunnO))) are a "Drone Doom" band, just noise to me not the same as Cathedral or Crowbar who really are a heavy band (in all senses of the word back in the 1990's) or Down...
They might be "heavy" but they're more "heavy" to a full on doom fanboy than to a metalhead.

My point was, not all metal is Pantera or Deicide, that is why I dislike people pigeon holing it.
Pantera weren't death metal, which was your point. </pedantics>

I'm fully aware of what metal is, as much as I love a few other styles, I live for metal.
It's part of my DNA, it's what gets me up in the morning (that an a sudden urge to pi**)

For you Madlib fans, check out Stones Throw records (http://www.stonesthrow.com/). It's run by Peanut Butter Wolf (a GREAT producer) and they're constantly putting out new stuff from Madlib and Oh No (Mad's cousin I think) plus a lot of other great djs and producers.

Regarding the arrangement/melody aspect of hip hop. One of the greatest beats from start to finish in my opinion is on Jay-Z's "Show Me What You Got". It was produced by Just Blaze (one of the all time greats) and is the first time Supertramp has ever let anyone use their music for sample purposes (and they still don't let anyone use their stuff). As a matter of fact, the song got leaked on the radio while they were trying to negotiate the use of the sample. The song blew up immediately, Supertramp threw a big fit, long story short Just Blaze had to pay out his backside so they could clear the song. It's a shame too, he didn't even leak the song, it was one of the cats working in his studio.

And so for your listening pleasure, "Show Me What You Got" live. Tony Royster's drumming on it, and completely merc'd the joint. As a matter of fact you see the Jigga just standing off to the side of the kit enamored with what Tony's doing. Definitely worth the watch, the drums come in pretty clearly, although the video is pix-elated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcx3BcTyXlc

** 3.14159!
You're the only person who didn't think

"Hey, Hellwyck gets out of bed to take a is a mathematical constant whose value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter in the Euclidean plane"

Everyone else realised the two asterisk denoted missing letters...

Not a bad thing to type tho' 8/10

This sidebar discussion about metal is interesting to me too. I've always found it amazing how their hardcore aficianados pigeonhole the genres with the same ferocity of the jazz aficiandos. You would have thought they would have learned from the jazz crowd that flailing away at what everybody thinks is and isn't only alienates your scene and dooms your stuff to underground status. Despite the extroidinary differences in the music itself, the only difference between the mindsets of jazz and metal lover /not always the musicians/ is that the metal guys think the jazz guys are after them too whereas the jazz crowd doesn't care what the metal guys think of them. IMO this is a recipe for failure. I've never been any particular fan of the metal stuff of any genre or classification, but I certainly respect those drummers. There's obviously some serious talent there, so it's ashame to see the metal self destruct button always on.

Agreed.

It never makes sense that people will debate endlessly on online if a band is metalcore or melodic death metal or whatever term they feel like using, when any good band probably embraces 3 or 4 different sub-genres over the course of an album. Few bands really just do ONE thing and one thing only.

Do they have these same silly debates overseas too? I was wondering if it's just an American thing, to want to pigeon hole a band into neat littler perfect boxes. In Europe, they have all these big metal festivals like Wacken, Summber Breeze, Download Festival, Dynamo, and list goes on and on, and every festival hosts a wide range of metal acts from every sub-genre. It always seems like European crowds are more open to enjoying a wider range of music without worrying about that being caught listening to a Symphonic-Goth-Metal band will hurt their thrash metal credentials with their buddies. But that just may be me over glorifying the scene over there out of frustration with the musical climate here.

Which is funny as I don't find Linkin Park "abrasive" at all.

SunnO))) are a "Drone Doom" band, just noise to me not the same as Cathedral or Crowbar who really are a heavy band (in all senses of the word back in the 1990's) or Down...
They might be "heavy" but they're more "heavy" to a full on doom fanboy than to a metalhead.

Pantera weren't death metal, which was your point. </pedantics>

I'm fully aware of what metal is, as much as I love a few other styles, I live for metal.
It's part of my DNA, it's what gets me up in the morning (that an a sudden urge to pi**)

Archives consider Sunn metal, they are the leading authority on metal and genre debate.

Just because you don't find Linkin Park abrasive, does not mean that someone else doesn't.

My father likes Pain of Salvation, who play progressive rock/metal but he isn't interested in say Slipknot (not metal), the sounds are on different levels, it is a different kind of intensity.

I can put on some Pelican, no problem, as soon as I play, say Alesana (not that I would, but that is beside the point), he'll say to turn that **** off, and they are most certainly not metal.

Before you try argue that that was never part of the conversation, AFI were a big part of that Screamo scene, and they are very mainstream (and not metal), while, say, Pain of Salvation are very much metal, but don't elicit the same kind of reaction. Each individual is different.

My point was never that Pantera were death metal, I have no idea how you gathered that. My point was that not all metal is like Pantera, or like Deicide, not that they are one and the same.

And what I meant by that was, you can't judge all metal based on one or two artists, the genre has a plethora of sub-genres, more then any other style of music, and they are completely night and day. To take two well known examples, My Dying Bride and Cannibal Corpse.

Metal is heavy, it is one of the defining points, but it isn't always loud, it can be soothing, just because your tastes/idea of metal is something more along the lines of death metal/thrash, doesn't mean that softer, more melodic styles of metal are not metal, or that I made a mute point.

I'm into Madlib as well. They do sort of pull on the jazz strings don't they?

Metal is incredibly diverse, I doubt your idea or knowledge of the subject covers a lot of it, there is stuff within the metal spectrum that is also within the jazz spectrum, the whole genre is rife with avant-garde and diverse influences, that is where so many of the arguments stem from.

You mentioned not pigeon-holing things, but then completely contradicted yourself by pigeon-holing metal lovers. A lot of metal guys do not care what the jazz crowd think, and listen to/like jazz. Some care, but there are jazz musicians who are under the impression metal is nothing but mindless noise and promotes hatred and violence. Plenty of metal musicians also play traditional styles of jazz or classical, I know a cellist from the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra who plays in a doom/death band.

I don't think metal is self-destructive at all, some metal-heads/bands/artists are, obviously when some people are playing with fire, pouring out emotions, they're going to get burnt, it is the same with any music, or even film, that plays heavily on intensity.

A lot of metal is very progressive, free-thinking and full of musical open-mindedness. I'm repeating myself with this second example, but the violinist of local Melbourne metal band Ne Obliviscaris has a Bachelor of Honours in Performance Music and recently spent time with Jean-Luc Ponty when he was in Australia.

I think you'll find stereotyping all metal fans a mistake, if anything, I'm a testament to that, I listen to a lot of different music in any given day, including some very heavy metal and some quite mild jazz and post rock. I was playing A Silver Mt. Zion yesterday, along with Miles Davis, Chet Baker and Isahn (the solo project of the frontman from Emperor, a very big name in the Norwegian black metal scene).

The root of all this was me trying to make a point that not all Hip Hop is what you hear on the radio and not all Metal is like what you are exposed to.

Archives consider Sunn metal, they are the leading authority on metal and genre debate.
Someone I used to know got called "the leading authority in metal"
We called him "an elitist prick".

I just gave my personal opinion on a band.

Just because you don't find Linkin Park abrasive, does not mean that someone else doesn't.
The people who call Linkin Park "abrasive" usually think Nothing Else Matters is the heaviest Metallica get to.
A lot of people think Linkin Park are shit.

My point was never that Pantera were death metal, I have no idea how you gathered that.
You mentioned a ton of death metal bands in your first reply to me, then you mentioned Pantera.
I have no idea who you are or how your mind works or your background in heavy music so I assumed you were classing Pantera in with Morbid Angel.

And what I meant by that was, you can't judge all metal based on one or two artists, the genre has a plethora of sub-genres, more then any other style of music, and they are completely night and day. To take two well known examples, My Dying Bride and Cannibal Corpse.
Metal is heavy, it is one of the defining points, but it isn't always loud, it can be soothing, just because your tastes/idea of metal is something more along the lines of death metal/thrash, doesn't mean that softer, more melodic styles of metal are not metal, or that I made a mute point.
Thanks, I mean this in the nicest way when I say "you've just tried to teach me to
suck eggs".

Back