Dennis Chambers

I love his playing. I remember the first time I saw a video of his and I was blown away. Amazing drummer, love the funk.

The beat is based on the Purdie shuffle. It's in 12/8
The main meat of the groove consists of playing hand to hand 8 notes starting on your weaker hand (most cases the left).
If you do this correctly the back beat should be played on your left hand.

Here's the pointers:

Keep your left hand on the HH for every beat EXCEPT the Backbeat (the 7th quaver). Now alternate your right hand between the ride and HH and you will have the guts of this beat.

Remember, this is to be played hand to hand starting on your left.

Paradiddles are great ways to shift the leading hand. Dennis starts the ride groove this way

The beat is based on the Purdie shuffle. It's in 12/8
The main meat of the groove consists of playing hand to hand 8 notes starting on your weaker hand (most cases the left).
If you do this correctly the back beat should be played on your left hand.

Here's the pointers:

Keep your left hand on the HH for every beat EXCEPT the Backbeat (the 7th quaver). Now alternate your right hand between the ride and HH and you will have the guts of this beat.

Remember, this is to be played hand to hand starting on your left.

Paradiddles are great ways to shift the leading hand. Dennis starts the ride groove this way

I should also say.... Dennis' highhat work is incredible. I mean his HH foot work...

Dennis Chambers!!!

I've gone back about two and a half months in the drummers section and I have yet to see anyone post on Dennis Chambers. I personally think he is the sickest drummer out there. I really dont think there is much mainstream knowledge of Dennis but as far as this site goes there should be tons of people aware of this Genius. I use to believe as far as creativity went that Carter Baueford was at the top. Then I ran into to a Dennis Chambers CD while looking for Drummers CDs and figured ahh what the hell I'll see what this dude is all about. I was floored. Not in the sense of the typical "Wow he's fast" or "Wow he has an awesome double kick sound" or anything like that. Just the way he plays. Its so unique and at the same time so impressive in both a technical and Rythmical sense.

His Drummerworld link is below. If you've never heard of him check it out and let me know what you think.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Dennis_Chambers.html

LISTEN TO THIS TO GET A SENSE OF WHAT I MEAN ABOUT HIS UNIQUENESS:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/dennischambersotay.mp3

Last edited:
Re: Dennis Chambers!!!

Dennis is one scary player and has been for a VERY long time. The thing that kills about this guy and always has since I first saw him play live back in 89 to today is the incredible sense of depth behind what he does seperating him by a country mile IMO from other chops style players. Sure he can technically play things that most other 3 drummers combined couldn't pull off chops wise but it's his sense of intent,purpose,groove and rhythmic concept, polyrhythms and metric modulation and phrasing taken to the extreme that has me chucking ever time I hear live on a video clip or on recordings,he's got the complete package covered. In a jazz group or electric jazz band he will swing a band to their grave or lay down some of the meaness grooves heard in popular music situations well at the same time turn around by playing some pretty advanced musical solos you rarely hear from this style of player. Totally amazing musician and one those rare freaks.

Saw his clinic when he came to my area. Afterwards, got a picture and a pair of sticks signed, and my friends and I got individual pics and a group pic with him too. Love this guy, he's unreal.

Dennis is one scary player and has been for a VERY long time. The thing that kills about this guy and always has since I first saw him play live back in 89 to today is the incredible sense of depth behind what he does seperating him by a country mile IMO from other chops style players. Sure he can technically play things that most other 3 drummers combined couldn't pull off chops wise but it's his sense of intent,purpose,groove and rhythmic concept, polyrhythms and metric modulation and phrasing taken to the extreme that has me chucking ever time I hear live on a video clip or on recordings,he's got the complete package covered. In a jazz group or electric jazz band he will swing a band to their grave or lay down some of the meaness grooves heard in popular music situations well at the same time turn around by playing some pretty advanced musical solos you rarely hear from this style of player. Totally amazing musician and one those rare freaks

Steamer, no way I could've put it any better than that. I gotta get me some more Dennis Chambers.

He's the man

dc-evans-pic1.jpg

Ah, Mr. Chambers, an excellent drummer.

Unfortunately, I find that he has reached his peak in terms of his brilliant technical ability.

I just saw him with Santana last night. Good God. If you're impressed by the videos, you're floored when you see him live. Seeing him play recorded simply doesn't translate his power behind the set. When he soloed, you could literally feel every note shake through you. I could only dream of playing with his technique, feel, and ability.

Seeing him connect with my all-time favorite guitarist and rock house made the show (which lasted for over a solid three hours) well worth every penny.

One of my favourite drummers, just uploaded that video onto my i-pod. His toms sound too good.

Has anyone got any experience with his sig. snare?

Cheers,

Tom

King Chambers. Probably my favourite drummer right now.

Ah, Mr. Chambers, an excellent drummer.

Unfortunately, I find that he has reached his peak in terms of his brilliant technical ability.

Yeah, too bad Dennis Chambers is all washed up & peaked out.

... you're a really funny guy, Dr. Funky.

I notice how you are merrily going about finding fault with each drumming icon listed here on Drummerworld.

So far I've read your 'disappointments' and disapprovals of Buddy Rich, Ringo Starr, Steve Gadd, and now Dennis Chambers.

Who are going after next?

I'm curious, do you really mean it, or are you just looking to fan up up some flames on these threads?

Last edited:

Sorry no cigar on that response. He's only just begun to take his concept{s} to even greater heights musically speaking as always proven time and time again everytime I think i've heard it all from this freak of nature on the drums. It's not all about chops it's about seeking higher musical ground which Dennis is long far from finished doing in my opinion.

P.S. I agree with aydee flaming all the great drum masters certainly doesn't sit well with most forum members here.

Back