LP prestige cowbell

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Has anyone tried one of these? I was thinking of getting a classic rock ridge cowbell, seems very easy to play with the plastic cover on the front. But the prestige called out to me! It looks so beautiful, and the sound clip the site gives is very good, but its hard to get a grasp of what it sounds like exactly. I may need to use some muffling when I actually get one. A problem I don't see happening with the " coated" ones. I would be using it for latin/ hip hop/funk kind of stuff....try and fit the cowbell into every musical situation! Thanks

Never seen one of those cowbells. For years now I've switched back and forth between a big LP Mambo bell, or the big silver LP Salsa bell. I let both of them ring.

I consider a cowbell to be a required part of the kit if you're working a bit. There are too many songs that require it, especially if your band decides to do anything latin. But the big one for the bar bands is Honky Tonk Woman - if you can't play that beat with the cowbell just right, you might as well not do the song. Stuck in the middle with you would be another one where the break in the song is. There are a number of others and covering it by just having a cowbell goes a long way to making the tune right for the patrons.

I recommend that everyone should have a cowbell at the very least. Get the tools that will help you land work. I think there was a thread once here when someone asked if he should get a china or a cowbell? I was shocked that he didn't already have a 'bell. I think he ended up talking himself into the china...I wonder if he works much? Hmm...

There has only been one song so far that I have "needed" to use one on. But knowing all the african 12 stuff, even some new orleans stanton moore stuff will be sure to impress. I remember the first jam I had with one of my bands, I brought my cowbell with me ( just incase). While warming up I played some afro cuban syncopated stuff, and then some street beats. " So, you can use a cowbell?"
"yeah"
"......man, your cool"

There is something so funky about those bells that nobody can resist! I'd say I'll go with the prestige bell, seems alright

The Prestige bell is pretty cool. I say get whatever you think sounds good. I have two cowbells; the LP Mambo bell and Black Beauty bell.

As Bo said, you'll get much more use out of a cowbell than a china.

Every drummer should have a cowbell. It's somewhere on the list after sticks and well before double-bass.

Crepe--every drummer should have one or two bells on their kit. I personally own the Meinl Mambo--large, low, clear tone. I first heard this lower pitched bell on Bad Company's "Holy Water" years ago and purchased it soon after. It has been a staple on my kit ever since. About a year or so ago, I purchased the LP Black Beauty for a higher pitched tone. Think Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman". Both are highly recommended. However, after hearing the Prestige, get whatever best suits your needs. You can't go wrong with LP products.

Crepe--every drummer should have one or two bells on their kit. I personally own the Meinl Mambo--large, low, clear tone. I first heard this lower pitched bell on Bad Company's "Holy Water" years ago and purchased it soon after. It has been a staple on my kit ever since. About a year or so ago, I purchased the LP Black Beauty for a higher pitched tone. Think Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman". Both are highly recommended. However, after hearing the Prestige, get whatever best suits your needs. You can't go wrong with LP products.

I don't think people realize that i do have a bell on my kit, just a very bad one! I got the prestige bell. Sounds great, but the thing is damn huge! It keeps touching my knee when i'm playing. Ah well, i'll get over it

The nicest sounding cowbells I ever heard are made by Pete Engelhart. He can make you whatever you want and has done custom work. This is the type of percussion instrument that you will only buy once and should last you a lifetime. Therefore, you may pay a bit more than a mass produced LP, but you do get something very, very special.

http://peteengelhart.com/

GJS

I don't think people realize that i do have a bell on my kit, just a very bad one! I got the prestige bell. Sounds great, but the thing is damn huge! It keeps touching my knee when i'm playing. Ah well, i'll get over it

I play a prestige LP & it's my fav Big cowbell out there, I had the same problem with it hitting my knee also so i put it on a cymbal stand mounted cowbell stand too the right on my far right crash cymbal stand works great but you really have too wrench it down through or it will start traveling on you.

it's worth it through I love the sound of the prestige. I also made a muffler out of duck tape & stuck it on the inside, the prestige rang a little bit too much for my tastes.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

I play a prestige LP & it's my fav Big cowbell out there, I had the same problem with it hitting my knee also so i put it on a cymbal stand mounted cowbell stand too the right on my far right crash cymbal stand works great but you really have too wrench it down through or it will start traveling on you.

it's worth it through I love the sound of the prestige. I also made a muffler out of duck tape & stuck it on the inside, the prestige rang a little bit too much for my tastes.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

I actually only had to re adjust the cowbwll mount, now its in a great position in between my high and low floor tom. Yeah, i did the same, but some tissue in the inside of the bell, sounds great! Love it, i'll have this baby for a while

I actually only had to re adjust the cowbwll mount, now its in a great position in between my high and low floor tom. Yeah, i did the same, but some tissue in the inside of the bell, sounds great! Love it, i'll have this baby for a while

I had mine for 20yrs and the weld broke & it started too crack hopefully I'll get another 20 out of this one. glad too hear it worked out.

Bonzolead

Back