Roland TD-11 Sound Module: What's your custom drum kit settings?

RandyD

When I got the Roland TD-11KV kit, I was not totally floored with the pre-defined "out-of-the-box" drum kits but after some tweaking I was able to create my own kit with sound I really like.

Snare: Custom S (#021)
Hi-hat: Custom HH (#106)
Ride: 20" Custom Ride (#144)
Crash: 16" Fast Crash (#121)
Kick: Maple K (#001)
Tom 1: 10" Maple T1 (#058)
Tom 2: 12" Maple T2 (#060)
Tom 3: 14" Maple T3 (#062)

I have disabled the ambience effects and adjusted the pad volumes a bit.

What is your custom drum kit? What instruments did you pick and what settings did you adjust?

Rolands are known for so-so factory kits, with a heavy emphasis
on unusual sounds. And for having a decent set of
sounds available if you are willing to edit kits yourself.

The demand for better kits actually spawned a company
that just makes "kits" for Roland modules. They are quite popular
in the Roland community. Their prices are pretty reasonable too.

I have one of their kit packs for my TD-9. Really helps show off what it can do.

www.vdrums.com - the forum there is good too, a bit Roland centric,
but good for most e-drums.

Rolands are known for so-so factory kits, with a heavy emphasis
on unusual sounds. And for having a decent set of
sounds available if you are willing to edit kits yourself.

The demand for better kits actually spawned a company
that just makes "kits" for Roland modules. They are quite popular
in the Roland community. Their prices are pretty reasonable too.

I have one of their kit packs for my TD-9. Really helps show off what it can do.

www.vdrums.com - the forum there is good too, a bit Roland centric,
but good for most e-drums.
Another V-drums member joins the dark side... : )

Hi, since somehow you are discussing about TD-11KV, I just recently aquired one. But i'm noticing something on the snare mesh pad, somehow there are hits that seems weak despite being hit well. This occurs ussually when hitting the snare with two sticks or slightly adjucent two hits. Does anyone experienced or encountered this kind of situation while using TD-11KV? got any tweak advice to remedy it?

Also I'm having issues with USB function, I formatted may flash within the module, placed some drummless MP3 on it was able to sort out & fixed the issues of some unsupported mp3 which is due to the file format the unit required to recognize the MP3 files. Unfortunately after some time the USB becomes empty, also when plugged on a PC it required to be formatted. This happened several times already, I prevent any actions that could lead to dataloss such as plugging/unplugging it only when the unit is powered off. But somehow the problem persist. I'm using an HP 16GB thumbdrive.

Thanks ☺

Hi, since somehow you are discussing about TD-11KV, I just recently aquired one. But i'm noticing something on the snare mesh pad, somehow there are hits that seems weak despite being hit well. This occurs ussually when hitting the snare with two sticks or slightly adjucent two hits. Does anyone experienced or encountered this kind of situation while using TD-11KV? got any tweak advice to remedy it?

Also I'm having issues with USB function, I formatted may flash within the module, placed some drummless MP3 on it was able to sort out & fixed the issues of some unsupported mp3 which is due to the file format the unit required to recognize the MP3 files. Unfortunately after some time the USB becomes empty, also when plugged on a PC it required to be formatted. This happened several times already, I prevent any actions that could lead to dataloss such as plugging/unplugging it only when the unit is powered off. But somehow the problem persist. I'm using an HP 16GB thumbdrive.

Thanks ☺

Hi John, I haven't noticed any issues with my mesh snare, not even when practising some rudiments, flams and rolls. Could be that your snare pad is defective or maybe it could be the cable or even your sound module, since it is also having some issues with USB thumbdrive. I use some old 1GB thumbdrive, reformatted by TD-11 module and so far it works fine - I put a bunch of MP3s there, also I did some drum kit backups to it, no issues. Can you try a different, maybe smaller, thumbdrive? The sound module reformatted my thumbdrive with this old FAT file system and that has some limitations when it comes to overall drive size.

Also, what firmware version you have in TD-11 module? I'm still on factory default V1.00 but I noticed that V1.11 is available for download from Roland web site here: http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=TD-11KV&id=62466615.

Thanks for the link, I'm somehow afraid to just directly upgrade my kit software I have to do some googling first. Now i'm using a lower size flash drive hope it will resolve my USB issues.

What other settings did you tinker with since? Almost all of that is just the default user kit. I'm just toying with the tune and muffle at the moment but haven't really nailed a whole package.

One of the best things you can do to improve the sound on the TD-11 is to purchase VEX kits from vExpressions - 30 Apex kits for $30. They sound great. All sounds are created from native module sounds. I used many of these as a base kit, then tweaked a bit to enhance. Its fun and like I said, well worth the 30 bucks.

http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/apex.html

Steve

Last edited:
Back