Should be regretting my trick?

healdo

Hey, ive had a Trick dominator double for a couple of months and its taking longer than i thought to get use to having a long board, direct drive and compression spring.

I struggle to keep constant consistancy especially with the slave pedal.. it just feels so sluggish and crap.

Im starting to but dont want to regret buying this as i payed nearly £600 pounds for it.

Depending how long you have been on the DW pedal, will determine your "learning curve" on the Dominators.

All the features you mentioned about the Trick are opposite from the DW8000 (probably opposite of many pedals out there, besides the Axis long boards. You are going from night to day and have things to get used to.

You probably know about the compression spring technology and how it applies equal pressure at every degree of the strike and rebound. Regular springs have the tightest tension at it's most extended point. This - Plus the Direct Drive require getting used to. That's one reason these pedals are so responsive. You'll probably need to keep the compression springs a bit looser at first. But that's totally cool, because you can reach down between songs even, with 1 hand and turn them easily and quickly.

Now the long board is yet another feature that requires getting used to. I had to drop my board angle down. You can't have them the same height as a short/regular pedal board. I went from the DW9000 myself. It took me about 2 months to get used to the angles and response of the Dominator. It has taken others 6 months to make the transition. It took me about 3 months to finally get used to all the different features. Now I can fly off these pedals. I use heel-toe. I was really frustrated the first 2 weeks I got them and almost sold them.

It just depends how much patience you have. These things are top aerospace quality and the U joint axle is well designed and extremely tight. No lag or play. Many other double pedals I saw at GC had loose or worn U joint axles.

A truly responsive and remarkable pedal, if you can get used to the different features.

Agree with what BigDinSD says..direct drive pedals feel different…longboards as well..personally, I love my axis pedals, but it does take some time to get used to the different feel of the DD pedal..
both the Axis and the Trick pedals IMO are some of the finest pedals made..and the compression spring technology on the trick is a really nice feature..I wouldn't give up on it yet..

Everybody is different, I can't really tell you if you are going to adjust to it or not.

I did to some degree, but I did end up switching back to my DW5000 I was using for years and years. I used my Trick Bigfoot for almost 3 years gigging on a regular basis.

I felt that lag that you are talking about with the slave pedal and even tho I adjusted it so it was playable, I never got it to feel right. The Trick is so adjustable, it's great. I customized it to feel great under my feet, but I think I was subconsciencely adjusting it to feel like my DW.

I realize that any slave pedal is not going to feel like two single pedals..I adjusted the Trick as best I could and it felt decent...but for some reason, the DW still feels better to my feet. One thing I didnt like about the Trick is it didnt have the stopper pegs....It felt a tad loosey-goosey on the floor even with the velcro grip tape it came with.

I think the reason the DW felt better to me was the cam and the recoil of the springs (as opposed to the direct drive and compression spring) and the "throw" or should I say the feel of the throw. I dont know if Im descibing it right, but I "use" that throw - and when it was missing with the direct drive, I felt it was a disadvantage to me.

I wouldnt give up on the Trick...it really is an INCREDIBLE pedal, I was so impressed with it. Like the other guys have said - they adjusted to it just fine and took advantage of all its features, and you could too.

but I did end up switching back to my DW5000 I was using for years and years. I used my Trick Bigfoot for almost 3 years gigging on a regular basis.

So what did you end up doing with the Trick pedal? That one's about an $800+ pedal my friend.

Still have it. Wanna buy or something?

lol

Thas funny man! (LMAO!) I put mine of Craigslist about a month after I got it just too see if anyone was interested. I was surprised that people were willing to pay my asking price (which was obviously not retail). I decided to keep it after figuring out it was more the drummer than the gear. Also has a lot to do with what you are comfortable with, as you mentioned. I do like that Pro1V monster though. But again, it's more the drummer than the gear.

Nice pedal you got there though...

After 2 years and using a pro1-V and still mastering control at times I tried a couple of standard pedals out..... for about 5 minutes and realized it's hard to go back to a mini when you've been driving a rolls.... fine tuning makes a huge difference..... the instant response means there is no delay, so the mental map has to be reset to kick right on the beat rather than slightly before to allow for the pedal return... or is that just my mind?...

Back