Your Favorite Alcohol High

Can't believe I'm the first person to come here and say that this idea that different liquors produce different highs is bulls***. I don't buy it. Alcohol is alcohol.

Okay, now that that's out of the way: I love good scotch. I prefer the Islay single malts.

Scientifically correct. I think people have trouble separating the actual alcohol intoxication from the way the vehicle makes them feel - for example beer makes some people feel overly full, wine gives some people a headache, sugary drinks may carry their own interaction with the body's chemistry, etc, etc.

But for the most part you are right - alcohol is alcohol. I just picked what I LIKE, lol. And I like Islay single malts, too!

When I was young and dumb it was Bacardi 151 and coke. Drinking copious amounts of that did make me drunk but it certainly didn't make me any less dumb! :)

Now - summertime it's either a margarita on the rocks (no salt please) or whiskey and diet coke. Also I love white merlot wine in the summer.

Winter - a few Black russians are always good to make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. I used to drink a lot of red wines but have honestly burnt out on them for the most part.

Holidays, special occassions or when I'm just feeling froggy. a yummy mocha martini hits the spot (made with vodka, Creme de Cacao, a splash of cream and some quality coffee liqueur such as Godiva). Shaken, not stirred, of course.

As for beer...I love the dark beers...a good stout, porter or dunkel is nice however the worst hangovers I get are with beer so I rarely drink them anymore. They really leave me feeling crappy.

Yep, that about covers it...lol.

Can't believe I'm the first person to come here and say that this idea that different liquors produce different highs is bulls***. I don't buy it. Alcohol is alcohol.

Okay, now that that's out of the way: I love good scotch. I prefer the Islay single malts.

Pure alcohol is indeed alcohol.

But in terms of drinks, no beer, wine or hard liquor is pure alcohol. If they were, there would be no difference between a $9.99 bottle of whiskey and a $50 bottle of scotch.

Interesting. I definitely notice a difference in the feeling between alcohols. Beer makes me talk loud and feel happy. Rum just dulls everything and it's a very boring feeling. Not happy on Rum. Happy on Kamakaze, Happy on Whiskey. Rum and wine, no happy.

My sort of thread......I do like a drink...any drink.....all have similar effects on me..except vodka, I get nasty as **** on vodka; tried it 3 times and I was a swine to everyone all 3 times. Don't even bother anymore...
Everything else; I'm just a happy drunk, no issues with the world, all's good with me, but I am not a 'social' drinker, I drink to get drunk or I don't drink at all...

I agree with you, partially. Ethyl-alcohol is the primary intoxicant in any hard drink. Period. So the mixing concept (beer before liquor makes you sicker, etc,) is total horse manure. By extension, the primary drunkeness feeling/symptoms, is always going to be the same no matter what.

But your "high" is more complicated and intangible than that. If I got my BAC to 0.1 drinking straight vodka shots, versus drinking winecoolers, the trip would be a lot different even though I'm just as drunk. All that sugar has an affect on your mood, metabolism, etc. The feeling of being that full of liquid also has an affect of your comfort level and the amount activity your body is willing to put up with. etc,

Beers and Wines especially have all kinds of chemical components that create a much different biochemistry, than say if you drank the same amount of alcohol by volume of Everclear.

Some of its psychological too. If you loved drinking wine with your wife of 20 years, but now she has run off with someone else, you probably won't enjoy drinking wine anymore, at least while you are still bitter about it..

Yes, in general these are subtle, I personally don't feel that much difference between different forms of alcohol, and when it comes to hard liquor it tends to vary more by mixer than by liquor.. but I will admit they are there.

Last edited:
Pure alcohol is indeed alcohol.

But in terms of drinks, no beer, wine or hard liquor is pure alcohol. If they were, there would be no difference between a $9.99 bottle of whiskey and a $50 bottle of scotch.

+1.Correct.The difference is in the delivery system.Some alcohols sugar content is higher than others,so the effect will be different,but only slightly.

If you drink any two types alcohol,that have the same proof or alcohol content......one will not get you drunker,or make you fell totally different than the other.

Alcohol is what gets you high.

Having said that,with the exception of Yuengling,Sam Adams and a hand full of micro brewed stuff,American beer sucks.....period.Bud,Coors,Miller and just about any other American beer you can think of.....is pure swill,especially the light and ultralight stuff.Give me my German import beer in a bottle or on tap.

Most of the wine I drink is local vineyard stuff,and very good wine,without the pricetag.

I also enjoy my Jack Daniels Green label wiskey neat..Some Grey Goose or Gabo Wabo tequila out of the freezer with a little lime is great also.

During the summer,gin and tonic,or Springbank single malt in the winter,with the occasional warmed Courvoisier.

Steve B

If we're going to be technical, alcohol is a depressant so can its disinhibition qualities be called a high? (taking into account that its effects are mood dependent). I think it can be a kind of high and the effects do vary between different drinks as wsabol said.

Champagne is a good example because you become intoxicated so quickly - the feeling of being drunk with only a small amount of alcohol in your system is different to the feeling of drunkenness a long session.

Me too. Not really drunk though. Somewhere after drunk but before puking works for me.

See I knew I liked you! My philosophy as well ;)

No! Nothing technical Anon! Lol. Stop number crunching! Have a drink!

Sometimes I have the intentions of getting a little drunky wunky, but after 1 drink I decide I don't want to go through with it.

I've learned if you can ride through the bed spin, without puking of course, it stops. I just breathe heavy until it evens out . But I don't get that drunk anymore. I know enough to stop well before that. If I drank beer on a regular basis I would weigh 300 lbs. No thanks.

Honestly, I'm weaksauce. I can't have more than 2-3 beers or a big glass of wine, anymore. It was fun when I was younger but I'm trying to retain whatever gray matter I haven't scorched already. Getting blackout, stupid drunk a few times and forgetting half the night, was sobering for me. :)

Getting drunk was sobering lol.

That sounds like a good one. Had to Google it. It's a 7 year old dark Indian rum and it has a 5 star rating. I wonder if they have it at BevMo (a large liquor store chain).

It's delicious, I hope you can find a bottle. Frighteningly good for a rum that costs roughly $10 for a full bottle, haha. You wouldn't believe it!

Honestly, I'm weaksauce. I can't have more than 2-3 beers or a big glass of wine, anymore. It was fun when I was younger but I'm trying to retain whatever gray matter I haven't scorched already. Getting blackout, stupid drunk a few times and forgetting half the night, was sobering for me. :)

It's the blackouts that worried me. I've been caught by friends swinging around not one but two bouncers and threatening to punch their lights out, fallen straight through glass tables, walked around at a CRAZY birthday party referring to myself as Jimmy, got into a car crash and asked the Doctor that was stitching up my head, "I be Jimmy, who might you be?" That's the stuff I heard about. Once I woke up on a rafting trip standing at the entrance to the camp. Just woke up. First thought was to go and get some cigarettes and some army soldier is telling me, "Go back! Go back to the camp!" I had to argue with him and he followed me till I found a shop, bought some cigs and returned to base.

Creepy. Got to keep Jimmy inside, hahaha.

Getting drunk was sobering lol.

Heh. :) You've heard of "scared straight"...now you have "drunken sober".

It's the blackouts that worried me. I've been caught by friends swinging around not one but two bouncers and threatening to punch their lights out, fallen straight through glass tables, walked around at a CRAZY birthday party referring to myself as Jimmy...

Creepy. Got to keep Jimmy inside, hahaha.

Yeah, I heard a few of my own stories afterward...that was it for me. Clearly my inner-Irishman needed taming.

Being of Scottish descent, its Scotch whisky (Mortlach, please!) or any other highland single malt. Next on the list is bourbon. I like Angels Envy right now.

F

Gin and sparkling wine, favorite cocktail. Pimm's Cup in this part of summer is good.

Also the pumpkin beers. They're coming out with the seasonal beers too early! It's like Christmas ads before Thanksgiving.

Back