Headphones

SKULCANDY!

Icon i think there called

I would agree, if the TS wants to have his hearing blown out.

Probably a good idea to look at some sort of headphones that allow for isolation too. This way you don't have to turn it up waay loud to hear it over the band playing and the drumming and that. You can get ones which aren't big and bulky like the vic firths and go in your ears but they can be expensive. But what price can u put on hearing?

I'd suggest checking out some in ear monitors instead of headphones. They're much more compact and have total isolation. My band is about to invest in some as we're playing samples live as well. From what I've heard the Shure systems are great, but pricey.

I think you need to be careful using consumer-grade headphones for a pro-audio application. make sure your headphones can handle the input power. Pro-audio headphones don't cost as much as one might think. You can get the Shure SCL2 ear-phones for about $100.

I'd suggest checking out some in ear monitors instead of headphones. They're much more compact and have total isolation.

seconded. thats what you need, there expensive as hell tho, an ex singer of mine spent $700 on his

Vic Firth Isolation Stereo Headphones - can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Beyerdynamic dt-770 pro. Best headphones out there within that price range. I use them when I am in the studio and when I practice. In live situations I use the shure se530:)

The ear monitors are where it is at. there's lots of names out there that I would suggest so here's my list.

Ultimate Ears
Shure
Etymotic
Sennheiser
Denon
iHarmonix
V-moda
and dj something.. I forgot..

I'm kind of a headphone audiophile... Haha.. I'll stick with my ultimate ear triplefi 10pros. They got a more rounder sound than the shure se530's.

If you're on a budget, I managed for years with a pair of Sennheiser HD 205's whilst wearing foam earplugs. Did me very well. I'd use the same set now as well - although I've just bought a pair of AKG K701's for reference work. You want something close-backed for what you're doing. My solution is the cheaper one, but it does give you a decent sound quality to work with - although it's not as good a solution as in-ear monitors, which are the best way to go if you have the money.

If you're on a budget, I managed for years with a pair of Sennheiser HD 205's whilst wearing foam earplugs. Did me very well. I'd use the same set now as well - although I've just bought a pair of AKG K701's for reference work. You want something close-backed for what you're doing. My solution is the cheaper one, but it does give you a decent sound quality to work with - although it's not as good a solution as in-ear monitors, which are the best way to go if you have the money.

A friend of mine has the 205's and they are great headphones.

If you have no budget limitations the on ear bose noise cancelling headphones are great. I use my dads and they allow you to listen to other things and a normal volume, with hearing your drums as well. They are pretty expensive though

or you could spend 3x less on a pair of vic firth isolation headphones?

A friend of mine has the 205's and they are great headphones.

For the £30 or thereabouts I paid for them, they were great. I had to re-solder them when the connections started to go, but they're pretty handy. When I went over to my K701s I realised just how bass-heavy most consumer-level headphones are - especially closed-backed designs. Using open-back headphones has changed a lot with my mixing, and having a quality pair is pretty essential for me at University. The 701s have a very smooth sound and are very clear, without being overly analytical. I did pay around £200 for them and so far have definitely been worth the money.

Bandwagon jump=Vic Firths

For $50 the single longest-lasting best sounding and best isolating headphones I've personally ever used for practicing and playing drums. They aren't going to satisfy an audiphile looking to check out the triangle section on a classical vinyl LP but for jumping on the kit they're fine.

I've dropped 'em, pulled 'em off in anger, cranked 'em up, and bent 'em up and they just keep on ticking. In the five years I've owned them (yep-5 yrs with the same pair) not one aspect of them has failed-not the cord, connector, earcups, or any other part or piece. I am sincerely impressed with their performance and quality.

Just remember, they are *isolation* headphones and good ones at that. They are rated at around 29dB I think (maybe 23dB?) so you aren't going to hear much of what is going on around you besides your kit and amplified instruments. (Can you get your monitor mix from the board run through them?) Also-they are bulky and have some weight to them but not enough in my opinion to outweigh the benefits.

Like I said at the beginning, we're talking $50 here not $700 not even $100; and at that price they're a steal.

Back