My Unix Bubinga Stave Kit - Chocolate Thunda!

Please do, because even with the rough recording there is something pretty incredible going on there. I have a feeling those won't get lost in a mix either...

Alright, here's a really *bad* recording of me warming up the other night, after getting the kit setup in its current order. This isn't meant to be any type of structured solo that makes any sense...it's just discordant noise while puttering around the kit.

I'm using VF Akira Jimbo sig. sticks which I've decided I don't like. They're very top-heavy so all of this playing is sloppier than my usual stuff. I'll post more when I get the drums tuned better and get comfortable w/ a 5-pc. setup.

I wish I had more recordings of the kick...it's the only drum I'm really happy with my tuning on, so far.

THANKY, THANKY .. They sound as good or better than they look. Awsome !

Oh my god. Those look and sound absolutely incredible. Honestly, I'm in english class and just gigling to myself in joy.

But it's a bittersweet joy, because I thought MY drums were incredible. :(

Thanks again. I'll post some new sound-clips soon. I think I made a mistake with coated ambassadors on the toms. They sound "OK" but I'm missing that deep hum I get from coated G2s. I have some laying around, I'm going to put them on this weekend.

I also fell back to a 4pc. setup and need to find a creative and minimalist way to mount the 10" somewhere (anywhere). All ideas welcome!

One option since you like to play off the left side of the drums may be to move one of the cymbals off of the stand to a boom stand and place your ten inch there.This would move the cymbal higher the other option would be to relocate the 12 to the other side in a standard setup; but my guess is that you like to play off the 12 more and would rather have it above the snare. wacha think :)

One option since you like to play off the left side of the drums may be to move one of the cymbals off of the stand to a boom stand and place your ten inch there.This would move the cymbal higher the other option would be to relocate the 12 to the other side in a standard setup; but my guess is that you like to play off the 12 more and would rather have it above the snare. wacha think :)

I'm not sure I follow but it sounds like the hi-hats would be in front of the 10" in that case, which is no good. My main concern is that my feet are in the right spot...everything else is secondary. I use the 12" and 16" mostly so yeah, I like the 12" to be over the snare and where my hats are placed, it leaves no room for the 10".

Right now the poor 10" is sitting on the floor, waiting for a chance to get back in the game.

I might put it out behind the 16" floor tom a la Jojo Mayer or just keep it set aside for when I convert down to a "jungle" kit on small-room gigs.

I got my bass drum legs last week. I also have a new snare (not the Unix - it's a surprise, you'll see!) AND my AAX X-Celerator hats on the way. I'll post new pics when the goodies arrive. I'm still waiting on the Unix snare...not sure when that will get here.

It's hard to tell how much room you have by the pictures, but I was suggesting to relocate the two cymbals to a seperate boom stand and place the 10" where the splash and crash are, between the 12" and the hats. This would leave room for the splash or crash between the 10 and 12 albeit higher. I have this seen this set up before and works for some. If there is not enough room between the 12 and hats, you might consider above and right of the hats ( this is where I have my 8" &10") either case would require some movement of your cymbal set up which you may not be willing to do. Hope this helps :)

Here's a few mildly interesting clips from a little jam session on Thu. w/ my new guitarist. We haven't played together much so we're just tryin' to find our mojo. The "creeps" clip uses the toms quite a bit using my Regal Tip Blasticks. I put my coated G2s (over clear G1) on the toms just to compare them to the coated/clear ambassadors.

Attachments

• crash_bam_boom.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 280
  • das_creeps.mp3
    7.2 MB · Views: 273
  • low_n_growly.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 262
It's hard to tell how much room you have by the pictures, but I was suggesting to relocate the two cymbals to a seperate boom stand and place the 10" where the splash and crash are, between the 12" and the hats. This would leave room for the splash or crash between the 10 and 12 albeit higher. I have this seen this set up before and works for some. If there is not enough room between the 12 and hats, you might consider above and right of the hats ( this is where I have my 8" &10") either case would require some movement of your cymbal set up which you may not be willing to do. Hope this helps :)

I bit the bullet and bought another DW 9900 tom stand for the second tom, here are some shots. You'll be able to see how little space there is on the left for anything because of where I like my hats.

I think I'll get two more dogbones to mount the crash and china on the right, like I've done w/ the two cymbals on the left.

Attachments

• DSC05837.JPG
    DSC05837.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 558
  • DSC05838.JPG
    DSC05838.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC05839.JPG
    DSC05839.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 463
Very cool clips. Your timekeeping on the hats through all three clips is click track like in its steadiness.

I will tell you that I have permanently ended all desire for ply drums. The next drumset I buy will be Unix. It may be a couple of decades from now, ya never know. These clips have been quite the inspiration. Good work.

Very cool clips. Your timekeeping on the hats through all three clips is click track like in its steadiness.

I will tell you that I have permanently ended all desire for ply drums. The next drumset I buy will be Unix. It may be a couple of decades from now, ya never know. These clips have been quite the inspiration. Good work.

Thanks much! I know I've found the drums I was looking for...I don't see how anything else would do, now.

hey zambizzi, just listened to 'noisything' mp3 - these drums sound even better than they look - a warm, deep and rich sound, some incredible drums you have there and the Sabians sounded great, are these the HHX's and Vault's you just picked up?
truly wonderful drums - enjoy!

Last edited:
hey zambizzi, just listened to 'noisything' mp3 - these drums sound even better than they look - a warm, deep and rich sound, some incredible drums you have there and the Sabians sounded great, are these the HHX's and Vault's you just picked up?
truly wonderful drums you - enjoy!

Thanks! I've had the Sabians for a few months now...that thread we were chatting on wasn't all that new. It looks like I had to go Canadian for the sound I wanted! ;)

My AAX X-Celerator hats will be in Tuesday and the Jojos are going bye-bye. I've got a VERY cool and (relatively) unique snare coming Thursday that I found on eBay.

why the AAX hats, not enough volume from the darker Jojo's? or did you just not get the desired sound from them? i'm just curios, always curios...
and a new snare you say? hmmm... interesting : )

why the AAX hats, not enough volume from the darker Jojo's? or did you just not get the desired sound from them? i'm just curios, always curios...
and a new snare you say? hmmm... interesting : )

They have the volume but they're exceedingly dry. The pitch is quite low and it's just not the sound I'm looking for. They're more versatile than most hats in that I used them in both acoustic jazz and loud, amplified rock...without any issues. But, in the end I like 14" better and I want something with a brighter tone.

I bit the bullet and bought another DW 9900 tom stand for the second tom, here are some shots. You'll be able to see how little space there is on the left for anything because of where I like my hats.

I think I'll get two more dogbones to mount the crash and china on the right, like I've done w/ the two cymbals on the left.

It looks good.. have you been able to adjust to the 12 in a different location.

Back