Solid gold snare drum

I...I'm quite suspicious about any metallic-shelled drums, the ringtones tend to set off the the snare wires loads, anyhow...I think a drum carved out of a log with a natural exterior finish looks much better.

Is this the same BD I know - the mad keen Tool and Danny Carey fan???

From Wikipedia:
Carey also uses a kit composed of custom cast bronze shells (3/16" thick and same dimensions as the SONOR) made from recycled Paiste cymbals, manufactured by master drum tech and drum maker Jeff Ocheltree (mostly on US tours as it is too heavy to readily transport elsewhere; The bass drums alone are 100 pounds each and special front-loading cases had to be made for them and the floor toms).​

Whoever you are, stop using BD's login! We know you're an impostor!

:)

PS. That gold Ludwig snare is sooo beautiful ...

Danny Carey's sets have always sounded good, Sonor or Ocheltree or whatever.

...I like the snare sound (esp. Sober), but honestly I wouldn't use it if I know that there is a unique sound that I'm hearing for that will satisfy me without the disappointment of copying someone elses drum texture...

...Carey's changed to a new setup, if you take a look on his website, he has mixed drums (and replaced the med and high toms with roto-toms), while still keeping to the deep transparent "tunnel" floor toms...and there are loads of electronics and synths...

...BTW...I'm a bit critical about wikipedia...not updated enough, and not reliable when it comes to specific facts...

...the gold snare drum sounds like a piece for Carey's kit, but I would say so, it would go against his spiritual commitments...

...if I could just remove sympathetic snare buzz...I know Bob Gatzen said something about reducing it, but while I'm still stuck in a garage with the Superstar...I'll have to hold back high-pitched-noise-induced-madness (no the snare shell is wooden construction).

Thing is, BD. Whether Big Dan is currently using them or not, he spent some time playing his "Paiste drums" and he loved them (and they sounded great). So when you say you're suspicious about metal drums I guess you are not talking about custom jobs worth a squillion $.

How about chrome snares? I used to have a Dynasonic and it was a classy drum. I don't think we can validly be metalist [sic] about drums. Drums made from all sorts of materials can sound great.

Bob Gatzen spoke for two full YouTube videos about reducing snare buzz. As for me, I either put up with it or turn them off. It's a bummer when a song starts and realise that you haven't turned them back on, and then there's a race to avoid the dreaded snareless 'bonk' on the backbeat :)

And if someone offered me that golden beauty, I wouldn't say no ...

You would need some darn good coating on a gold snare - it won't oxidize but the gold will wear out from just touching it.

You would need some darn good coating on a gold snare - it won't oxidize but the gold will wear out from just touching it.

Surely if it was 9 carat it would be ok, wouldn't it? Gold jewellery seems to hang in there. You couldn't have 18 carat or you'd ding it every time you played a rimshot.

Edit. For about three years in the mid-1920s (1925 to 1928 if you want to get technical,) Ludwig and Ludwig Drum Company offered for sale a “top of the line” drum called the Triumphal... (thought there was probably only two or three ounces of gold used on each drum,)

About $50 of gold in those days. Good ol' currency devaluation (theft by central banks who call it inflation, but that is another topic and perhaps best to not 'go there').

The eBay auction REISSUE is far too high
Price: $8125.00
www.ruppsdrums.com/shop/?shop=1&itemid=23967

Carey also uses a kit composed of custom cast bronze shells (3/16" thick and same dimensions as the SONOR) made from recycled Paiste cymbals.

Interesting, as some consider the best saxophones to be those that were made in the 1950's or thereabouts from used brass gun shells during WWII. i wonder if the same would apply to drums? The metal itself has been 'stressed' due to useage within an explosion of sorts, which is different than, say, cryogenics that has the metal form a tighter 'bond'. Hmmm..... the plot thickens! Have debated having my Sabian AA Dry Ride 21" cryo'ed in hopes of more ping. i wonder if they could custom the same cymbal from used brass shells.. and the results.

Back