Cozy Powell

A true living legend, among us.
Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) has a lot of respect for him, He considers Cozy (Colin Flooks) as an great drummer, who has given so much to the music and drums...forever!

I saw him with Rainbow in the mid-70s and he was impressive. I usually find drum solos pointless but his 1812 Overture solo was a a buzz.

But IMO Cozy's most imaginative playing was on Jeff Beck's orange album, as in Ice Cream Cakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N74N-JmjBo8) and Sugar Cane. Plus some tasty clean drumming on Definitely Maybe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhrsDEnUlJM).

I always like Cozy one of the most powerful drummers of all time IMO right up there with Bonham I always liked Jeff Beck's "Situation" & "Going Down" which I believe Cozy played on, My favorite drum sound Cozy had was on Whitesnake's "Slide it In" so powerful & in your face.

RIP Cozy,
Bonzolead

Just listened to Rainbow Rising again for the first time in may years. Cozy Powell is such an inspiration - strong playing, great feel, masterful technique. He's as good as Bonham in my book and would be just as famous if he fell in with a more famous band.

I looked this up because I was curious, but you can currently buy 162 albums he drummed on. Others aren't available anymore. Even with all the playing he did, he was primarily a studio musician. Plus 162+ says alot about what others thought of his drumming.

There was some discussion of Powell replacing Bonham but Led Zeppelin broke up. I think Powell would have been a great replacement - he and Bonham were friends - and taken LZ into a new era.
Yes when Bonham passed he was a candidate for the job but Bonham & Plant were good friends kinda a respect thing but I always wondered, He's one of the few if not the only drummer that could've. done it IMO

Bonzolead

One minor note:

It says with WHITESNAKE 1986.

Cozy had joined ELP in 1986. His last appearance with Whitesnake was 1985.

Not that it much matters in terms of the quality of the performance.

One minor note:

It says with WHITESNAKE 1986.

Cozy had joined ELP in 1986. His last appearance with Whitesnake was 1985.

Not that it much matters in terms of the quality of the performance.

I have noticed that as well. Good feedback, mate.

Another great Cozy solo gotta love the double 26" doggs.

Thanks for posting Ian.

Bonzolead

Yes, mate. Cozy is another giant beat of rock drumming. I call him - Stargazer - as the song that He plays with Rainbow...He is/was a master. Listen to the drum solo intro.

As long with John Bonham - Ian Paice - Bill Ward - Carmine Appice.

Last edited:
Fellows, enjoy Cozy's picture. Those two bass drums, look like two panzer tanks! ready to boom!

Attachments

• Cozy Powell hammer.jpeg
    Cozy Powell hammer.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 16,422
Last edited:
Fellows, enjoy Cozy's picture. Those two bass drums, look like two panzer tanks! ready to boom!

Yesh, those sticks look almost twice the length of a regular stick! And that ride looks like maybe a 26" a well.

But maybe he needed long sticks to reach some of those crash cymbals that look like they are set rather far back from the kit.

Great picture!

Yesh, those sticks look almost twice the length of a regular stick! And that ride looks like maybe a 26" a well.

But maybe he needed long sticks to reach some of those crash cymbals that look like they are set rather far back from the kit.

Great picture!

An X-Large 2B, maybe!

Back