New Lignum drum (in progress)

And final update ^ see above guys ;) !

For some reason the threat seems to slip away a little :p.

Cheers

That's so gorgeous! Right, on man! Love the sizes, love the look, love the versatility, love the fact that you play a 20" and a 24", and love that you made them yourself!

Thanks for the kind words ;) !!! ... I'm in love as well now !

That's a real work of art - a beauty to behold.

Yeah, Gert is amazing ... every set he makes is stunning. This is just the 2nd 24" bass drum he ever made ... I hope to see some more in the future !

Wow, gorgeous set. The big shallow bass gives it a very retro vibe, but the stave construction marks it as modern.

As said above ^... its just the 2nd 24" bass drum he ever made. From the start it was all clear that you don't need any deeper than 14" ... keeps it very versatile !
These days Gert is popular for correcting bearing edges and shortening bass drums ... all those 22"x20" canons go back to 22"x14" :p.

The finish is amazing ... first idea was a burst or something. Glad that choice didn't make it to the end :) !

Thanks guys for the kind words ... makes my day even more :) !!!

Re: New Lignum drums finished !!!

FINAL UPDATE :)
the respons is so direct.
Super congratulations on your wonderful stave kit. The sounds you're describing are no surprise to me, & if you've never played a well conceived & quality built stave kit, it's difficult to appreciate just how much more responsive they are. I especially like the sizes you've chosen, & yes, I guarantee that 20" bass drum will get a lot of use. It punches well above it's weight :)

On a general note, it's so good to see a player supporting a local quality builder with their patronage, & being so delighted with the result. You have something unique, that could not be bought off the shelf. We're not talking about a special veneer on a standard ply shell, or non standard size here, we're talking about an instrument of fundamentally distinctive voice & character, from a company that builds their own shells from scratch, not bought in. This is not an instrument where the buzz of discovery will fade quickly. Superb!!!!!!

That is absolutely beautiful. I've played a few stave kits and can happily say how wonderful they are. I'm sure your Lignum kit is everything you've ever wanted. Just beautiful.

I also love what has been done with the 20" bass drum. The three floor tom leg brackets give you some great opportunities for mounting the drum - and even for mounting cymbals if you want to. All of my bass drums (16", 20" and 22") have a bracket for mounting a cymbal arm and it's one of the best decisions I've made with my kits.

I hope that you get as much pleasure out of playing these as you deserve. I will echo Andy's thoughts here and say that it's great to see you using a local builder who puts so much love, care and attention into producing genuinely World-class instruments.

Re: New Lignum drums finished !!!

Super congratulations on your wonderful stave kit. The sounds you're describing are no surprise to me, & if you've never played a well conceived & quality built stave kit, it's difficult to appreciate just how much more responsive they are. I especially like the sizes you've chosen, & yes, I guarantee that 20" bass drum will get a lot of use. It punches well above it's weight :)

On a general note, it's so good to see a player supporting a local quality builder with their patronage, & being so delighted with the result. You have something unique, that could not be bought off the shelf. We're not talking about a special veneer on a standard ply shell, or non standard size here, we're talking about an instrument of fundamentally distinctive voice & character, from a company that builds their own shells from scratch, not bought in. This is not an instrument where the buzz of discovery will fade quickly. Superb!!!!!!

Thanks :) !!! You're totally right ... I'm smiling all day now :) !

Simply put ... I rather have my Lignum kit I paid myself (after working hard) then having a full endorsement of a major brand !

Last week I heard a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Omnitune on a clinic @ Adams (Belgium) with 24"x18" bass drum and 18" bass drum ... this kit really disappointed in sound !!

The kit will only sound better when aging :) !!!

Absolutely stunning looking drums, I love the graphics on the bass drum heads too :)

Done by GK Drumsticks .. my guitarist did the artwork design, it turned out quit well :) !!

Thanks !

That is absolutely beautiful. I've played a few stave kits and can happily say how wonderful they are. I'm sure your Lignum kit is everything you've ever wanted. Just beautiful.

I also love what has been done with the 20" bass drum. The three floor tom leg brackets give you some great opportunities for mounting the drum - and even for mounting cymbals if you want to. All of my bass drums (16", 20" and 22") have a bracket for mounting a cymbal arm and it's one of the best decisions I've made with my kits.

I hope that you get as much pleasure out of playing these as you deserve. I will echo Andy's thoughts here and say that it's great to see you using a local builder who puts so much love, care and attention into producing genuinely World-class instruments.

Actually Gert mounted the floor tom brackets in such way on the bass drum, that when you set it up as bass drum you have a bracket on the ride side of the kit .. to put a cymbal mount in it or so. Also the brackets can be closed so they don't rattle when playing the bass.

These details make it all worthed :) !!!

I enjoy the kit every day more and more ... its like the drum is challenging you to new playing levels :p.

Of course I love your comments as well guys ^ :) !

BIG THANKS

Congratulations! That's a very nice lookin' kit - it was worth the wait! Have fun with it and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Dave ... especially in the last weeks it was hard to wait for it :p !

Now I know how drums should sound !!! ... the overall response and harmony of the kit is just mind-blowing.

No doubt .. I've years of fun ahead of me :) !

Sharing is no problem at all :p .

Any chances to have a little demo of this gorgeous kit on a video, or at least a sound file?

Gert Breughelmans (Lignum) owns a Zoom recorder, and I expect him to come over here in a few weeks to deliver the rest of the cases.

We'll make a video by then !

In the meanwhile, I grab my Yamaha Pochettrack 24C the other day and make a first recording of the kit ...

... I promise ;) !!!

Gert Breughelmans (Lignum) owns a Zoom recorder, and I expect him to come over here in a few weeks to deliver the rest of the cases.

In the meanwhile, I grab my Yamaha Pochettrack 24C the other day and make a first recording of the kit ...

... I promise ;) !!!

Great news, I look forward to your posting :)

... I promise ;) !!!
A zoom recording without any processing would be great! Most of us know the abilities & limitations of a Zoom, & that means we have an honest benchmark to work from. Looking forward to that :)

Great news, I look forward to your posting :)

A zoom recording without any processing would be great! Most of us know the abilities & limitations of a Zoom, & that means we have an honest benchmark to work from. Looking forward to that :)

No problem !! ... the zoom-recording coming later .. the mp3-recording sooner with my Yamaha Pockettrack C24 - no processing Guru-guy ;) !!

i almost missed this edited final peak. the drums look amazing, I love the whole design package, the lugs, sizes, set up. Bang on the money.

This is really my all time dream kit ... I can not think of anything more I want in a kit (except for some minor cymbal changes).

The 24" fits me perfectly .. as the 20" .. the 10" tom, 12", 14", 16" oh .. and especially the 14" snare :p !!!

Thanks for ye comment !

Soundfiles comming close !!!

Congrats!!! You drum kit is really well built and looks beatiful. it's every drummer dream to have a kit built according to our all specifications and 8 also think is reaaly cool that all the wood used in your drum set comes from the same tree.

I have one constructive critism, IMO you ride/china stand set up is overly complicated. Why don't you mount the china on the stand and use a clamp and a boom for your ride? That would look cleaner and be more stable.

Congrats!!! You drum kit is really well built and looks beatiful. it's every drummer dream to have a kit built according to our all specifications and 8 also think is reaaly cool that all the wood used in your drum set comes from the same tree.

I have one constructive critism, IMO you ride/china stand set up is overly complicated. Why don't you mount the china on the stand and use a clamp and a boom for your ride? That would look cleaner and be more stable.

Thanks for the comment :) !!

About the ride/china stand :

I've started a completely new setup for this kit from scratch, beginning with the drums themselves and the relation between hi-hat-snare-ride. After I got all crashes into place, I had to find a place for my 20" china which I don't use a lot. The only place there was left, is above the ride :).

With my new clamp from Tama: the MC67 (for mounting pipes from 19 to about 28mm) it was pretty easy to get a sturdy connection to the ride-stand. I took a cymbal stand apart .. the upper half .. and inserted it into the clamp. Just a short extension for the long boom arm to get over the ride enough ... et voila :) .

You can take my word for it .. it is sturdy as hell !!

The advantage of mounting this way, is that the ride stand always is in use for the ride .. and if there is need for the china, I can easily mount the clamp (just 2 joints to mark .. and the clamp itself).

And for looks, I like to have a scorpion in my setup :p.

All things has to be road tested ;) .. there can be changes over time.

Later I'm gonna try some small setups .. just put 1 or 2 stands away (including clamps) and you have a small setup with 2 crashes and a ride :).

Its such a joy trying new setups !

See ye !

Back