Vinyl v CD - Discussion

Making this discussion because I had a few vinyls that I had bought but never been able to play them until recently when my parents dug out an old vinyl player.

I had a vinyl/cd pack and I had always heard people say "vinyl is so much better than CD's" but I was never really sure, so this seemed like a perfect comparison. And I must say, what a difference. This album was done on analog and everything was completely raw (I believe it was done in Monnow Valley Studio's in Wales if anyone knows about it).
http://www.monnowvalleystudio.com/equipment.htm

The rawness and clearness came out completely. While doing this, I decided to upload the vinyl rip for you guys so you can all hear the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-0aBu33HoM - Vinyl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJz9rPG8-A&feature=relmfu - CD

Personally, I prefer the vinyl. But as the vinyl player has been out, we decided to get more vinyl's out and in the collection beholded "Back In Black" by AC/DC. It sound SO much rawer and real compared to the CD and Remaster. Which I come to my conclusion, I much prefer vinyl to CD's. But what do you guys think?

Cool band reminds me of offspring kinda. The vinyl definitely sounds better though the high guitar part came through way better on the cd rip. In general I doubt many experienced people would think the CD is better sounding its just more convenient.

My oppinion is, like other things in life, analog is better than digital, and this is no excuse.
I am also a vinyl fan mostly because of it`s rawness and warmth. Reel-to-reel and casettes are also raw but are not as warm as a vinyl, IMO.
Anyone still listening to these little fokkers?

I've purchased about 30+ vinyl LPs over the last year and about 3 CDs. Of course the vinyl is used and is older stuff, but yeah there's no beating the sound of an analog recording in my book. To wit - not that I'm a crazy Rush fan, but lsiten to their 1970s and early 80s work in analog compared to the later more recent stuff. Peart's drum is vibrant and alive, as is Lifeson's guitar, etc., etc. The comback continues. Vinyl is selling more and more every year. And this is "new" vinyl. Plus there's the whole bigger aesthetic argument for vinyl. Cover artwork is better, liner notes. More of a piece of artwork.

I mean I'll never forget purchasingZeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" double album in vinyl as a kid. Thick and heavy, all in shrinkwrap. Cool artwork on the cover. Then there's "Kashmir".... ah heaven !

I've purchased about 30+ vinyl LPs over the last year and about 3 CDs. Of course the vinyl is used and is older stuff, but yeah there's no beating the sound of an analog recording in my book. To wit - not that I'm a crazy Rush fan, but lsiten to their 1970s and early 80s work in analog compared to the later more recent stuff. Peart's drum is vibrant and alive, as is Lifeson's guitar, etc., etc. The comback continues. Vinyl is selling more and more every year. And this is "new" vinyl. Plus there's the whole bigger aesthetic argument for vinyl. Cover artwork is better, liner notes. More of a piece of artwork.

I mean I'll never forget purchasingZeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" double album in vinyl as a kid. Thick and heavy, all in shrinkwrap. Cool artwork on the cover. Then there's "Kashmir".... ah heaven !

I have 3 Rush Vinyl's. And the Spirit Of The Radio single with the Tree's B-side (I think? Or the other way about).
I have the greatest hits CD too, but Rush on Vinyl. 10,000x better! Also got the original Hemispheres too. I have the CD. Vinyl = 10,000x better and anyone who uses "the scratching noise" for an excuse for CD's being better than vinyl are wrong. The scratching is amazing!

i agree that in my world the more proper debate is digital vs. analog. i have heard vinyl that was recorded digitally that screeched my ears because it was recorded digtally - Heart's "Heart" and "Bad Animals" from the 80's come to mind. i could not even listen to them and hardly played them. even though i loved the videos on MTV, i would remove the vinyl from my turntable within a few seconds of plopping the needle down. sadness. it just hurt my ears too much.

on the other hand i have heard many warm cds and mp3's, and i'll take a properly mastered digital recording over old school technology any time. but you never know what you're gonna get until you hear it. i've also heard many re-masters of analog recordings that not only sound horribly digital - they don't even sound like the original recording. re-mastering is often akin to taking a house apart piece-by-piece and re-assembling it. even with the best of intentions, it's not gonna go back together exactly the same as it was.

sorry if i strayed from your original topic.

Last edited:
I love Lester Youngs sax sound on old Billie Holiday records.

Portishead on record is amazing. REcords, technically, ARE way better, but we KNOW that.

Atmosphere or Gangstarr sound better on vinyl.

Jazz , especially, sounds like your int he room,true fidelity closest to the real thing.

I love Lester Youngs sax sound on old Billie Holiday records.

Portishead on record is amazing. REcords, technically, ARE way better, but we KNOW that.

Atmosphere or Gangstarr sound better on vinyl.

Jazz , especially, sounds like your int he room,true fidelity closest to the real thing.

I'm looking at a few Miles Davis and Chet Baker vinyl's. I love those guys! On vinyl they'd be something else, obviously. Haha!

Back