Don't film Vinnie!

I don't get it. The guy's a professional musician. This kind of attention bothers him? I mean, come on. He makes a living performing for people. He tours the world with one of the most famous pop stars of his generation. He's in an arena filled with thousands of adoring fans. And he's pissed off that someone's taking his picture.

That s*** is weak, man. I'm just sayin'.

He's probably a shy guy at heart - spending all those years holed up in practice rooms building up his terrifying skill base. It's not his fault that so many people think he's the bee's knees.

I agree that you'd think he'd get used to it and settle down but creative people are often quirky (that's me speaking as a perfectly normal pillow of society).

How about Keith Jarrett and his reaction to people taking photos? My mother was a writer and as mad as a meat axe. Or just look around this place with its myriad eccentrics and kooks ... I love it ... an oasis of harmless lunacy in a vast desert of uninspiring, sensible, stolid conservative people :)

But all those displaced beats and accent shifts?.....Man, talk about overplaying. What the hell is wrong with a simple 2 and 4? :)
yeah really Vinnie....get it together man

Sting writes pop songs ...get off your ego trip...its not all about you

:)
Ha! I was waiting for that! Same thing occurred to me, too! Does he get a pass just because he's Vinnie?

How about Keith Jarrett and his reaction to people taking photos?

Heh, or how about Keith Jarrett and his reaction to people *coughing*? That episode at the 2007 Umbria festival in Italy was only one of many instances of him lashing out at the audience and chastising them because someone couldn't stifle a cough to his satisfaction.

It's a shame about Jarrett. I think he's maybe the most brilliant living musician, one of the greatest pure talents in the history of music. But he's crazy.

As you say, gotta find the beauty in the quirks. Life would be boring without all that, eh?

Heh, or how about Keith Jarrett and his reaction to people *coughing*? That episode at the 2007 Umbria festival in Italy was only one of many instances of him lashing out at the audience and chastising them because someone couldn't stifle a cough to his satisfaction.

It's a shame about Jarrett. I think he's maybe the most brilliant living musician, one of the greatest pure talents in the history of music. But he's crazy.

As you say, gotta find the beauty in the quirks. Life would be boring without all that, eh?

Didn't know about the coughing but it doesn't surprise. Crazy and brilliant ... love and marriage like a horse and carriage.

I have more trouble finding beauty in non-quirks :)

lifetime: "Doesn't Vinnie visit drummerworld?"

Wouldnt that be great...if Vinnie would participate here openly.

Gavin needs the break....

Maybe if we promise not to film his posts.. ; )

I bet he would be an amazing contributor.

I don't get it. The guy's a professional musician. This kind of attention bothers him? I mean, come on. He makes a living performing for people. He tours the world with one of the most famous pop stars of his generation. He's in an arena filled with thousands of adoring fans. And he's pissed off that someone's taking his picture.

+1...........just sayin'

I see your point, but in this case it is weird imo. If the camera were panning around the whole band or something that woulda been one thing. But this looked like some guy in the front row with a camera phone firmly planted on one person... Its a little weird, I felt uncomfortable watching it... Until he started making faces anyway, that broke the tension.

Like, if you were out in public and someone just started staring at your uninterrupted, it would probably feel a little weird.

and +1 on the camera/cell-phone activity at shows... it is annoying.

maybe the filmer wants to learn to cover that song? what better way to learn that to see what's being played as well as hear?

Or just look around this place with its myriad eccentrics and kooks ... I love it ... an oasis of harmless lunacy in a vast desert of uninspiring, sensible, stolid conservative people :)

Very poetic.

I don't know the backstory of the video.

I went to see NiN and there was this sense of amazement, Trent is pouring his heart out, very moving performance and people are talking and making sure to record it.

It isn't that important , just watch the show.

How about Keith Jarrett and his reaction to people taking photos?
I saw his trio last year and one clown wouldn't put down the camera after being asked directly to do so or he'd walk off - he walked off. Garry Peacock & Jack DeJohnette looked a little embarrassed. But besides the camera thing I wouldn't pay to see him again - way to much grunting.

Fully agree with this.

I have allot of respect for Vinny's abilities but IMO he just made an ass of his self, If you didn't want people to video you then don't allow cameras or cel phones of any kind. I know there are some people out there that have to document everything but some people have a legitimate excuse. If your a celebrity you are going to be watched and photographed and caught on video even when you dont want to, thats all there is to it.

I just don't know what to make of this, except to say that I believe Vinnie was really angered at the filming (& I think he overplays - sorry!).

Part of me thinks "jeez - I wish somebody wanted to film what I do!" , but it's bit too easy to say that I suspect. I do believe that it is an important lesson to learn (as a musician) that there's nothing quite so disappointing as an audience: by which I mean that people rarely understand what you're trying to get across. But all forms of communication are like this, it's a known hazard & one that VC must live with all the time.

I too am rather irritated by people that seem so pre-occupied in filming a concert that they forget that they should be LIVING through it. I mean, I even feel that way about Wedding videos! It's a very awkward bi-product of the whole video age that we are all living through: it's an experiment on the human mind for sure (no-one knows how it's going to affect us all).

That said, I filmed a recent gig I went to of Killing Joke. I only recorded specific songs & I knew I was going to see them again the next night minus my Q3. The reason I filmed it was I just felt strongly that they are such pioneers & it's such a blessing to hear them assembled on the same stage, just like it was 1979 - it's a document. And perhaps that is how this guy felt about Vinnie back with Sting playing this classic track?

Maybe VC was just irked that he got spotted without a set of Zildjians ( if that is true)?!

Aren't these all just human foibles? Yes, Vinnie as a public figure ideally should have thicker skin, but he's human and none of us are perfect. Obviously something about it presses his buttons.

As for people filming instead of living, they are more interested in their social relationships than having intense personal experiences. They want to entertain their friends, have bragging rights etc. Lots of people kind of live in the bubble of others' opinions rather than look within to more deeply experience life. Also just human frailty. In my experience everyone has their weaknesses. I'm in no position to throw stones.

Ricky, Vinnie plays more notes than I'd prefer too. I can't appreciate some of his intricacies because my ears can't keep up ... so I get an impression of clutter at times. My favourite drummers are those who can and do add intricate things but they make is sound fairly simple and clear (eg. Gadd, Bruford).

Still, if Zappa, Sting and Jeff Beck think he's great, I won't argue. It's just taste.

Ricky, Vinnie plays more notes than I'd prefer too. I can't appreciate some of his intricacies because my ears can't keep up ... so I get an impression of clutter at times. My favourite drummers are those who can and do add intricate things but they make is sound fairly simple and clear (eg. Gadd, Bruford).

Still, if Zappa, Sting and Jeff Beck think he's great, I won't argue. It's just taste.

9 times out of 10 I am cool with Vinnie's approach - he's a master! However every now & then I think a line of taste is crossed. It's a hazard with a very virtuoso style but he's still one of my all-time favourite drummers.

This made me like Vinnie a little less as a person.. His drumming is still some of the best that's ever been. I've always considered 7 days to be a drumming masterpiece.

If you don't want to be filmed, don't perform. Times have changed.

Back