Best Overall Electric Kit

The Roland TD series are my favorites. Unfortunately, they are also pretty expensive.

Personally, I like yamaha's module sounds better (I've owned both roland and yamaha)...and yamaha's are considerably cheaper in price.....

So is it safe to say the TD20SX is the best kit on the market?
Definitely. I wouldn't spend that much money again on an electronic kit, but I am in a new phase of my drumming life now. My TD10 served me quite well for a long time. I took it back and forth to church every Sunday for about 12 years. Never had a problem.

Definitely. I wouldn't spend that much money again on an electronic kit, but I am in a new phase of my drumming life now. My TD10 served me quite well for a long time. I took it back and forth to church every Sunday for about 12 years. Never had a problem.

Cool, ya it's a lot. I can get one for around 5 grand. It's a big chunk of change but I don't want to get some cheap and then be disappointed. I will be going from a TDH1 which I outgrew in about 6 months.

So is it safe to say the TD20SX is the best kit on the market?

I've played them both (TD-20SX, DTX 900) and I wouldn't trade my DTX for a TD-20SX...they both have their strengths and weaknesses...my main problem with the 20 is price...even at $5000..it's overpriced IMO...

Last edited:
I've played them both (TD-20SX, DTX 900) and I wouldn't trade my DTX for a TD-20SX...they both have their strenghts and weaknesses...my main problem with the 20 is price...even at $5000..it's overpriced IMO...

ya it is expensive, but it costs Roland around 4300 to actually make it if you can believe it. (estimated retail value is $7000-8000)

ya it is expensive, but it costs Roland around 4300 to actually make it if you can believe it. (estimated retail value is $7000-8000)

$4300 to produce it????....I doubt that!...if that was the case, they wouldn't be in business for long....

How do you know this? Is the entire kit made in Japan? I 'm pretty sure the module is made in Japan but not sure about the rest of the kit.

I would have to pick the TD20. The TD12 is close the 20, I was actually looking for a TD12 set when I came across the 20 for a price I couldn't pass up.

The high end Yamaha is supposed to be very nice, but I've never played it, so no comment on it.

I reckon anything without the plasticy toms! The Roland TD20 fits that bill.

Plasticy toms ? Are you referring to the new DTX pads ? I do not agree with your comment at all. If I hadn't so much money locked in Roland right now (a TD9 coupled with TD12) or if DTX pads triggered correct with a Roland module, I would have got the new DTX myself.

Last edited:
im another yamaha biased person hahaha. but realistically speaking

yamaha's interface and module are on par with roland.
yamaha's drum sound samples are much more realistic(they recorded their own real drums)
roland's pads beat the yamaha black rubber ones
BUT the new yamaha silicon pads beat rolands by far
yamaha hardware(esp tom clamps) are much more user friendly
roland's racks for the low end kits are much better
yamaha's highest end has it's hex rack which is alot better than rolands(you can even use it for your acoustic if you wanted!)
roland sets have more flexibility(if you want to have a crazy big kit or different kinds of pads/bass drum pads or weird set up)
yamaha has it's own hardware which is great.

im another yamaha biased person hahaha. but realistically speaking

yamaha's interface and module are on par with roland.
yamaha's drum sound samples are much more realistic(they recorded their own real drums)
roland's pads beat the yamaha black rubber ones
BUT the new yamaha silicon pads beat rolands by far
yamaha hardware(esp tom clamps) are much more user friendly
roland's racks for the low end kits are much better
yamaha's highest end has it's hex rack which is alot better than rolands(you can even use it for your acoustic if you wanted!)
roland sets have more flexibility(if you want to have a crazy big kit or different kinds of pads/bass drum pads or weird set up)
yamaha has it's own hardware which is great.

You forgot to mention that Yamaha's top end e-kit also:
  • allows sampling (as well as the new mid-level kit - DTX700) - roland does not
  • has more inputs (than roland) - to add more toms/cymals, etc..
  • has more editing capability than the 20
  • definitely sounds more realistic - but you mentioned this already - thought its was worthwhile to mention again...:)
  • has better cymbal sounds - real Paiste sound samples
  • has third party sounds/kits that you can download..
  • has three zone capability on snare, toms and cymbals
  • and the list goes on...:)
just to name a few...I play both top end kits/modules (td-20 and DTX900) regularly..the yamaha is a better kit and better overall value...

Last edited:
I was playing on a Yamaha DXT (I think thats what they called it...) in the store the other day. Felt so real, and the sounds were nice too.

Back