Best music documentaries

Re: Good Band Documentaries

Standing in the Shadows of Motown. The Funk Brothers
The Last Waltz...The Band
Beatles Anthology...Three parts...The Beatles

YESSPEAK

YES : 35th anniversary

A 2 disc insight in to the bands history, the music and personalities of the members. Includes 35th anniversary concert in Spain (No video but photos as the concert plays)

The Decline of Western Civilization is a 1981 rockumentary film directed by Penelope Spheeris about the Los Angeles punk rock scene in 1979 and 1980. Over the years the film has gained something of a cult status.

Featuring concert footage of legendary Los Angeles punk bands, and interviews both with band members and with the punks who made up their audience, the film offers a look into a subculture that was largely ignored by the rock music press of the time.

Eerily, the promotional poster for The Decline (and the record cover of the soundtrack album) featured a close-up frame of Germs singer Darby Crash supine on stage with his eyes closed. Crash died from a heroin-induced suicide shortly before the film was released (the poster was designed before his death).

Bands included are Black Flag, The Germs, X, The Bags, Circle Jerks, Catholic Discipline, and Fear.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Runnin Down A Dream"

Its a 3-disc/1-cd combo with some incredible footage. If you are a Tom Petty fan, its a must-have!

I saw this thing on vh1 a few years ago called "when ______ ruled the world." I wactched the kiss and metallica versions then i fell asleep, but they were all pretty cool.

Some kind of Monster ( Mettalica ) and Stop Making Sense ( Talking Heads ) are great pieces of film-making IMO.

Stairway to Heaven by Richard Cole is a great book about Led Zeppelin that they need to make into a documentary...

Oh man, that book would make one INSANE movie! lol Also "Let it Be" from the Bealtes(ha!) is a little deppresing, as it showed part of their downfall. Pink Floyd "Live at Pompeii" is a mix of concert(to no audience) and documentary, still a fav of mine. And VH1's Behind the Music had a way of making pretty much ANY band interesting somehow.(i.e. Leif Garrett) : P. And Bruce, I gotta find this Yesspeak you mentioned, sounds great. Oh yeah, Lamentations from Opeth is a good one. Shows the making of Damnation and Deliverance, along with a whole concert. I think I ll put it on right now in fact. Cool

This is Spinal Tap.

Exactly what I was going to say!

There's a good one on the Arctic Monkeys out there, I forget the title, but I'll post when I remember it.

Also, there's a great one about The Who, I think it's called The Keith Moon Years or something like that. I thoroughly enjoyed that one, especially the segment on Keith Moon's antics when he WASN'T on stage, gave me a good laugh, LOL!

Two more votes for previously said films Beatles Anthology and This is Spinal Tap.

Probably the best ever...except that he drummers always died!! Doesn't the bass player do voices on The Simpsons??

Yeahh, he plays Principal Skinner. And someone else... Still. GREAT mock/rockumentary. Rented it the first time, and liked it so much I bought it.

"Our first drummer died in a freak gardening accidents. One of those mysteries better left unsolved." LOL.

'You can't really dust for vomit' just has to be left as one of the greatest lines in 20th Century Cinema. It just does.

Back