Help choosing heads

Scottie15

Hello all,

So since I've purchased my kit, I have experimented with many different heads from Evans G2s and EC2 SSTs to Coated G2s and Suede Ambs (which came stock). The bearing edges on my kit are super sharp and are located on the furthest point from the shell. I believe this utilizes every characteristic of the head as the drum relies more on the head for resonance. That being said, I have yet to find the perfect head.

Coated G2s were too dead for me, clear G2s were good but I wanted something with a bit more fat low-end. Honestly, I have been thinking of using G+ as resonant heads, or simply just switching to Remo suede emperors as batters for a balance between clear and coated. Any opinions or suggestions? Thanks in advance

People say that Remo Smooth White heads are a good middle-ground between coated and clear. You can probably get more low-end with a single-ply head. Try clear G14s over clear G12s (formerly G+) on your low toms and clear G12s over clear G1s on your high toms and see how that works, maybe? (Remo unfortunately doesn't make a non-13-or-14 inch OR non-coated X14 so you'd have to use an Ambassador X for that, but I would prefer the Remos anyways.

People say that Remo Smooth White heads are a good middle-ground between coated and clear. You can probably get more low-end with a single-ply head. Try clear G14s over clear G12s (formerly G+) on your low toms and clear G12s over clear G1s on your high toms and see how that works, maybe? (Remo unfortunately doesn't make a non-13-or-14 inch OR non-coated X14 so you'd have to use an Ambassador X for that, but I would prefer the Remos anyways.

That's one thing I haven't tried: different combinations on different drums. I am usually uniform all the way around.

Also in response to your Remo comment, I am very keen on experimenting with the White Suede Emperors as batters, I just don't know what to do as far as resos. I'm sure G12s as reso's with White Suedes as batters is sinful considering they're different companies.

I like The G Plus over the EC Resonant (all clear) on toms. It gives a deep tone and good resonance. I have been drumming for a long time, and heads come and go. Peace and goodwill.

I wouldn't consider it sinful. I have Aquarians over Remos on my kit right now :) Remo's Ambassador X is the equivalent of a G12/G+ in thickness but there's no clear version, apparently they "didn't pass [Remo's] standards of quality...". A G12 might be good but you might also consider a Diplomat. They are thinner heads and don't sustain for as long as an Ambassador but since they are thinner they have a naturally lower pitch, just like cymbals. I'm sure the Suede Emperors are great heads as well.

Went with Remo's new White Suede Emps. The kit came stock with the Suede Ambs but I'm thinking this double-ply emperor will have exactly what I'm looking for. I'm still debating on Resos. I currently have G1s which need to be replaced anyways. Thinking clear ambassadors.

Back