Drum Studio Project 3.0

HOLY CRAP! That is a beasttly KIT!!!!! and the studio is impressive! Glad you finally got it all done with, cant wait to hear samples :)

WOOOW! That is so awsome. Does any sound come out of your studio or is it completely sound proof? I love your little remark of a midnight practice session by the way. Dream come true I imagine.

WOOOW! That is so awsome. Does any sound come out of your studio or is it completely sound proof? I love your little remark of a midnight practice session by the way. Dream come true I imagine.

Well, nothing short of a total vacuum or a foot of lead is going to be completely sound proof, but then you really only need "sound proof enough." I haven't yet done any real scientific tests (that will come next week), but I have done a few quick tests in some critical spots.

If you stand on the side of the garage, on the side of our nearest neighbors, you will hear almost nothing... at 2am! During just about any time of day, the ambient noise floor caused by even a gentle breeze overpowers me. Since I have no instruments that can measure audio of such low volume, I can only estimate the total reduction to be roughly -100db.

Standing at the curb, in front of the garage door, you may occasionally feel what seems like the faintest hint of a sonic boom. That is my bass drum and it is the only sound that makes it that far. Cross the street and it's gone.

Stand just inside the door to my house (from the garage) and you hear almost nothing except the pictures in the bathroom adjacent to the studio gently rattling in time to bass or lower toms.

Stand anywhere outside the studio and no cymbals are audible, period.

I played the first night at 2am and didn't even wake up my wife. That's probably the most important test I needed to pass.

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing the studio Brundle ! It looks fantastic ! Im anxiously awaiting some sound clips, videos and meter readings.

words cannot describe how awesome that is. Seriously I can only dream of having something like that one day. Congratulations!

Looks so awesome. I am very very happy for you, B-Fly, and of course INSANELY JEALOUS. I'm definitely going to be stealing your ideas as I prepare to do a drum room in my new house over the next year. Difference being, I'm planning on sinking mine in a concrete basement, which I think is probably the best soundproofing of all. Enjoy!

damn thats well soundproofed, i want one

also, ive said it before so ill say it again i still cant believe that kit has just one bass drum

Looks so awesome. I am very very happy for you, B-Fly, and of course INSANELY JEALOUS. I'm definitely going to be stealing your ideas as I prepare to do a drum room in my new house over the next year. Difference being, I'm planning on sinking mine in a concrete basement, which I think is probably the best soundproofing of all. Enjoy!

Thanks! And I'm very glad to hear that my documentation efforts will be of some benefit to someone else. That was the main goal of the blog: to get some information and ideas on this somewhat mysterious subject out to the drumming community.

And yes, basements solve so many problems. Mine would have been a tenth of the cost had I lived in a part of the country where basements are common. Not that I'm complaining. :)

Now to get your studio gear set up and treat us to some recordings!

Well, nothing short of a total vacuum or a foot of lead is going to be completely sound proof, but then you really only need "sound proof enough." I haven't yet done any real scientific tests (that will come next week), but I have done a few quick tests in some critical spots.

If you stand on the side of the garage, on the side of our nearest neighbors, you will hear almost nothing... at 2am! During just about any time of day, the ambient noise floor caused by even a gentle breeze overpowers me. Since I have no instruments that can measure audio of such low volume, I can only estimate the total reduction to be roughly -100db.

Standing at the curb, in front of the garage door, you may occasionally feel what seems like the faintest hint of a sonic boom. That is my bass drum and it is the only sound that makes it that far. Cross the street and it's gone.

Stand just inside the door to my house (from the garage) and you hear almost nothing except the pictures in the bathroom adjacent to the studio gently rattling in time to bass or lower toms.

Stand anywhere outside the studio and no cymbals are audible, period.

I played the first night at 2am and didn't even wake up my wife. That's probably the most important test I needed to pass.

I think al took most of the words out of my mouth..

Congrats on completion...

Hey Brundlefly,

Do you have any video of the room in action?

Thanks,
-r

Woops! Ummm... no. Work got very busy and I've been having too much fun just being able to play to bother with much else. I have made some progress on the mikes and the control room side of things. If work will just let up a bit, I'd have something interesting to show.

Unless you were required by law to use said basement as a bomb shelter or something ridiculous...

If it was a bomb shelter filled with drums and there was a cataclysmic event, just think about all those years of uninterrupted practice time...

I'd emerge after years of evading fallout, "Hell yes! I'm now probably the best remaining drummer left alive!" Then Dave Weckl would appear from the rubble and ask, "Hey there, you have a bomb shelter with drums in it too?"

i just went and read that whole thing last night, what happened to 2.0? you had the first day posted then nothing....

Back