My Dirty Little Collection..

latzanimal

Silver Member
So I was out cleaning the garage and decided to snap some pics of my snares. In the process, I realized they need to be cleaned.. desparately. So I now have my winter project..

IMG_0120 (Medium).JPG IMG_0121 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0127 (Medium).JPG IMG_0139 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0150 (Medium).JPG IMG_0454(medium).jpg

skeetskeetskeet!!!!!

You are a snare drum HOARDER!!! Hahahahaha!!! I love snare drums and you are my hero dude!

bucketa-bucketa-bucketa-bucketa-bucketa-...........................Snare drums RULE!

Thanks everyone.

HOLY COW! What a collection. You need to explain about each one now. I see some incredible block construction in there. Wow, you just don't see this every day.

I guess it isn't nice to post pics and tease without the specs.... so here we go:

I've been making segment drums for around 15 years now. I did make all of these, although they didn't start out to be mine. All of the drums with the larger 'Goetz' badge were made by me including the Keller shells. Long story short, I worked with another guy at his drum shop. Some of these were made for the shop to sell. When he was going out of business and needed cash, I bought the ones I wanted (at a much better price).

The ATA case holds the 5 snares I carried on the road. Left to Right:

6.5 x 14 Ludwig Hammered Bronze with the older die cast hoops.
6.5 x 14 Purpleheart segment snare 3/8" thick w/ 24k gold hardware
6 x 14 Sonor HLD 596 Bronze snare rare bird with Designer hardware
6.5 x 14 Keller 8-ply (my first drum build)
7 x 14 Cocobola segment snare 5/16" thick

The purpleheart was my first segment and intended to be mine. The cocobola was made for the shop, but I liked it....

The middle pic contains the following, again left to right:

8 x 14 Tulipwood segment snare
6.5 x 14 Pearl Free Floater
3.5 13 Keller 10 ply in a rainbow finish (Explanation below)
8 x 14 Ludwig Coliseum 6-ply in Blue Marble finish and aluminum cast hoops
7 x 13 Keller 10 ply with a sunburst fade
6.5 x 14 Slingerland Steel shell

The Tulipwood is my favorite. It has patina'd a bit. It was originally more purple and reddish. I made this one for me.

The piccolo was the shops finish sample shell. There are 11 different colors on there. We numbered the inside so someone could just say I want finish number 'X' and we'd know exactly which one they were talking about. Well, when he was going out of business and pissed at the world, he started to chuck stuff in the garbage. I stopped him and said I'd make a snare out of it. Same with the 7 x 13 Keller, raw shell I saved from the garbage.

I just realized one is missing.. its a 5 x 14 Rosewood segment shell.. looking for a pic and trying to remember where I put it...

Here's a pic before I 'bought' it from the shop..

picture.php

Last edited:
Very Very Very envious. What kind of gigs do you play. Like it looks cool and all, but to carry a huge road case with 5 snares, I would only assume big arena dates where the sound guy might get finicky and demand more choices?

When I was a young buck playing with golf gloves and using Regal Tip Quantum 10's, (one stick shy of a billy club) I carried 5-6 snares only because I would destroy a snare head or two every set, thankfully I grew past that stage of my life quickly lol.

I just realized one is missing.. its a 5 x 14 Rosewood segment shell.. looking for a pic and trying to remember where I put it...

Here's a pic before I 'bought' it from the shop..

picture.php

I like that since my last name Getz, is derived from the name Goetz

I like that since my last name Getz, is derived from the name Goetz

I think we've had this discussion before, but all of the drums with the "Goetz" badge are ones that I have made myself... and I do remember you mentioning your name. I have 6 drums that I've made, the rest were sold and are still selling... knock on wood.

The influence of Facebook had me looking for the "like" button but seeing as this is the real internet, I'll just tell you that your collection is superb (better than "Like").

I've just finished assembling my own Segment snare, Mahogony(sp) from a shell I bought on eBay.

Well done!!

Back