Steve Jordan

Love the DVD, best I've seen someone explain playing "in the pocket". Also saw him with Clapton awhile back, pure genius. Never over the top, always plays for the song and not for himself or attention, which gains himself attention ironically.

Steve the groove master! Check out Robben Ford-Tiger Walk, David Sanborn - Upfront and Hearsay. Also check out the Live Lyle Lovett DVD: Sound Stage presents ... where Steve displays more of his jazz, blues and gospel grooves.

Steve the groove master! Check out Robben Ford-Tiger Walk, David Sanborn - Upfront and Hearsay. Also check out the Live Lyle Lovett DVD: Sound Stage presents ... where Steve displays more of his jazz, blues and gospel grooves.

His stuff with Sanborn is amazing! Tiger Walk is also a killer groove.

Just checked out John Mayer's Continuum and John Scofield's tribute to Ray Charles - amazing stuff! His attention to detail (for example, snare drum sounds) to shape and colour the grooves in each tune stands out. Even live (as in the James Taylor DVD), you see Steve changing snare drums in between tunes - true art!

I love Steve Jordan. Got to see him play live at Crossroads. He's incredible. I love his 17" hi-hats. Totally ridiculous, but they sound amazing. I also recommend watching Herbie Hancock: Possibilities. There isn't a huge spotlight on him there but he lays down some really nice grooves on that documentary. And of course he's amazing with John Mayer Trio as well. Great groove. One of the best out there.

I haven't read the whole thread, but my band director at school was telling about this album not too long ago where the drummer lays down some crazy off-time grooves. He said that he lays down 5/4 and 7/4 grooves over 4/4 time signature throughout the song. Sounds kind of crazy. We looked it up and it's way hard to find we think but I think it was Steve Jordan on drums. Anyways I couldn't write it down at the time and now I forgot the name of the album and the band. Does it sound at all familiar to anyone?

Thanks

has anyone seen john mayers new concert dvd?
"where the light is"

they feature steve for only like 7 songs but they talk about him a good bit and he sounds great!

and check out the avatar........

I love and own John Mayer's "Where the Light Is" album. Steve Jordan just shows how incredible he is, by just adding in those little things that make the song totally unique.

I have seen John Mayer 3 times live, but I have yet to see Steve Jordan play along side him live. I can't wait for that day to come though!

I also own Eric Clapton's "Crossroads" dvd and Steve Jordan ROCKS OUT on the songs he plays! Even when he's just doing the brushes for accent sounds to back up the other drummer, he's totally rocking out.

Hey I haven't seen any threads around here on Steve Jordan.

Steve is probably my favourite drummer, just his whole outlook and perspective on drumming is so... good. I just love the way he just grooves in the pocket. And his session work- name any musician and he's probably played with them. Well maybe not but you get the idea.

There must be lots of other Steve Jordan fans out there.

Check out his DVD all about groove. It's not flashy but he really drives home the importance of carrying a straight groove through a song, and it has great footage of him jamming with Bernie Warol on keys and several guitarists.

I did the same thing - I love Anton a lot but I loved Steve in the day!

Steve inspires me every day.

I used to stay up and watch David Letterman just see Steve play back in the day. It was just Steve, Will Lee, Paul Schaffer and Hiram Bullock (i think). Awesome little four piece. I like Anton Fig, but Steve is the man in the pocket.

get jojo mayers dvd for instruction and a little playing...
but get steve jordans for the killer grooves and licks....jojo doesnt teach you that, he gives you the tools to do that

Steve is touring with John Mayer for the "Battle Studies Tour." I was fortunate enough to be Steve's guest at the show in Tampa last week. The show was a lesson in how important a great drummer is to a great sound and a great show. Steve was acting as musical director and every musician looked to him for every change. Even if you are not a John Mayer fan (and I am), go see this show. For any drummer who aspires to greatness, just watching what Steve can do, both musically and as a leader, is an incredible educational experience.

He is a great and humble guy and a master groover, drummer, musician, producer and artist!

Paul

Sweet! I was wondering if he was on the tour... I'm going to see the show in Grand Rapids on the 28th of this month. Are they playing stuff off the Continuum album still? I hope so, I haven't gotten too into Battle Studies yet, but live shows are always great no matter what.

I love how Steve can sit back and play the simplest of grooves for three minutes and, somehow, make it sound incredible. I've been meaning to get his dvd, is it good? Thanks.

I saw the John Mayer show in London Ontario that kicked off his Canadian tour. Steve had the groove down solid and was clearly the musical director when John was off stage.

Strong band, great tunes... even though Mayer is a bit of a douche in his personal life.

Steve is touring with John Mayer for the "Battle Studies Tour." I was fortunate enough to be Steve's guest at the show in Tampa last week. The show was a lesson in how important a great drummer is to a great sound and a great show. Steve was acting as musical director and every musician looked to him for every change. Even if you are not a John Mayer fan (and I am), go see this show. For any drummer who aspires to greatness, just watching what Steve can do, both musically and as a leader, is an incredible educational experience.

He is a great and humble guy and a master groover, drummer, musician, producer and artist!

Paul

This is the first time I've ever commented on a forum. Yays.

Anybody ever hear Steve Jordan's awesome playing on the Steve Khan Eyewitness band stuff with Anthony Jackson on bass? A great live EP album called Blades aka Modern Times 1982. I love that record.

...btw who is John Mayer?

Back