B8 Vs AAX

I want to know whether i should get an AAXplosion 18" Crash or Two B8 Crashes one 16" and one 18" they both come out to about the same price.
I love the sound of the AAX but i am not going into recording anytime soon just starting out we have some gigs soon. I have been playing for about a almost three years now.
I play a variety of genres like funk, metal, Djent, Rock etc
I know what sound i want and i know the AAX has what im looking for but do you drummers think it is the right time to just go high end or stay lower end until my band starts picking up.
All suggestions are appreciated!

There are a dozen or so threads on this topic, and the end result is always the same: The B8's are a waste of time and money.

Spent a bit more for the Xs20, or just buy what you really want.

One good cymbals > two bad ones.

I want to know whether i should get an AAXplosion 18" Crash or Two B8 Crashes one 16" and one 18" they both come out to about the same price.
I love the sound of the AAX but i am not going into recording anytime soon just starting out we have some gigs soon. I have been playing for about a almost three years now.
I know what sound i want and i know the AAX has what im looking for but do you drummers think it is the right time to just go high end or stay lower end until my band starts picking up.
All suggestions are appreciated!

I would stay away from the B8's. Just my opinion. You cant go wrong buying a decent cymbal. Look for some used gear.

There are a dozen or so threads on this topic, and the end result is always the same: The B8's are a waste of time and money.

Spent a bit more for the Xs20, or just buy what you really want.

One good cymbals > two bad ones.

I very much agree with this^.

Buy used. If you can't just go for the AAX. B8 is a waste of time and money. You'll just need to upgrade later on anyway.

my personal opinion is to buy pro level,gear, take care of it and not worry about moving up later.

There's no upside to crappy-sounding cymbals. Bite the bullet and get the AAX. That's a cymbal you could potentially own for the rest of your life. Unless you're playing Paiste or Sabian APX, B8 is generally a total waste.

stay away from the b8 and b8 pros, you will grow tired of them quickly, unless its a cheap effects cymbal like a splash or mini china which I have, Go with the XS 20 or of course AAX, I just picked up a AAX 17" X-Plosion fast crash and LOVE it!

If you play metal (or any type of music for that matter), don't consider the B8's, you'll have them bashed to pieces in a month. If that's not the case, you'll end up using the crashes as stacks or whatever thrashy sounding pile of cymbals you can achieve using your B8's.

I know what sound i want and i know the AAX has what im looking for
Then... Buy it! As mentioned before, look for used cymbals on ebay, you might just get a great deal on one, maybe two Aax's if you're patient enough ;)

I can only second what's been said before: buy used, go for the Aax !

I have all 3 (x20, b8, Aax) and the Aax is my fab crash and the b8s would make good dishes for dog food. X20s are underrated deal and great sounding cymbals although the ride does not have enough bell for me.

You're just going to upgrade anyway, get the AAXplosion and start upgrading now. I own the 18" 19" and 17", personally the 19" is the best IMO.

No question go for the Sabian AAX, HUGE difference in sound quality. Just like everyone else has said, go for one AAX and you can always add another in the future if needed.

Not even close. There is nothing as awful, as bad sounding cymbals.

There is a great deal of wisdom already shared in this thread(and the many many other threads on the same topic);
-"Check eBay and Craigslist and buy used." You'll end up with the AAX's and b8 prices
-"Buy pro level gear and then don't worry about upgrading later" (buy once, cry once)
-"You're just going to upgrade anyway"

Get the AAX and add another later if $$'s are prohibitive.

If you play metal (or any type of music for that matter), don't consider the B8's, you'll have them bashed to pieces in a month.

I have to disagree - I played B8s for years before they showed any signs of pain - those poor things took a brutal pounding, too!

Otherwise, I concur with everyone else. Get the AAX and you'll have it for a long time. Or go XS20 and get 2 used.

I have to disagree - I played B8s for years before they showed any signs of pain - those poor things took a brutal pounding, too!

Otherwise, I concur with everyone else. Get the AAX and you'll have it for a long time. Or go XS20 and get 2 used.

I started off playing on B8s as well and mine are intact as well, I have them stored away now I play on AAXs, but I've heard a lot of complaints about them breaking; I guess it might be because being beginner cymbals, they're played by beginners who don't have much stick technique and use rather flat angles, eventually breaking them. Beating them isn't really the thing, the problem is HOW you beat them, I think, I may be wrong :-/

Whenever I see Vs.,I think of WWF wresteling...not drums and cymbals.So if we're making it a match.its like bringing a knife to a gunfight.No contest.Cheap cymbals,made to sound like cheap cymbals...will sound like cheap cymbals.

Buy used(how many times have I said this?) Buying used will almost double your buying power,so you very well may be able to buy two pro level cymbals,for the price of one new cymbal.I haven't bought a new cymbal in 20 years.

Steve B

Buying used is good if you can try them out in person. Otherwise not so much. Peace and goodwill.

Back