RANT

Pkaneps

So last night we had practice and then my roommate had a bonfire, and during the party we were asked to play. So we rattled out a couple songs, and afterwards my roommate comes up to me and says this guy plays drum and he wanted to play a little, so I didn't know this guy and I said I'd rather him not. About 15 minutes later, my singer tells me someone is inside playing, so he and I run inside, and the guy is playing and some other dude has my Ibanez hollowbody (not the most expensive guitar, but these things are the only nice things I have, and I've put all my work and money into them) and I told them it wasn't cool to just walk in and start playing, and the guy with my guitar said somehting like, "Oh, ok, I'm sorry" and put it down. Now the guy behind the drums ended up getting out of hand a little, but sticking things like, "your drums sounded really good" and "those are really nice". I think that made me angrier.

I associate it with seeing someone sleeping with your girlfriend, and them saying, "She's really good."

Maybe that's extreme, how do you guys feel?

I thought you were going to say they threw your drums on the bonfire.

I probably would have done a little more if that had happened. Like, I don't know, throwing him in the bonfire.

I thought there was already a thread dedicated to people all gettin' up in ur setz.

Doesn't seem extreme. At the very least, as far as you described, you held your temper.

This kind of thing will happen from time to time.
I put my stick bag and cymbals away as soon as I am finished playing at a party.
This usually works to detour would be drummers from playing my kit.

I don't know why people think that a guitar or a drum kit left alone is an invitation to play?

I like the idea that I picked up here recently...take off the bass drum beater and remove the sticks. Then if they play your drums with their hands, you are totally justified if you get upset. Take away the option from them and no harm no foul.

I like the idea that I picked up here recently...take off the bass drum beater and remove the sticks. Then if they play your drums with their hands, you are totally justified if you get upset. Take away the option from them and no harm no foul.
Even better Larry, take the top off the throne. They can try if they want to, at least that way I get a laugh out of it.

Even better Larry, take the top off the throne. They can try if they want to, at least that way I get a laugh out of it.

Good idea for sure...unless you get a Slim Jim Phantom type up there...(stand up player)

This kinda thing DOES happen, I've noticed. Especially when you have a party, and *most* people are outside or in a main area of the house. Somebody decides to go to the bathroom, and as a part of their trip, they decide to "explore" the house a little bit, opening closed doors and looking into rooms and stuff. At least they were just playing your instruments...they could've stolen something.

As for me and how my house is set up, I put away everything that I don't want people to play around with, behind a locked door, so it's not an issue. If you leave it out, SOMEBODY is going to play it--that's just a fact of life! Usually it means hammering out their best Bonham imitation at 1:30 in the morning, much to the chagrin of the neighbors...

Everyone that comes to a party at my house knows that I'm a professional musician, and some of them are, too, so I DO leave out *some* gear for the inevitable jamming, or for the occasional: "WOW! I've never played (drums/guitar/vibraphone) before! Do you think I could, er, I mean, can I, er, I mean...could you teach me to play something?"

I like to encourage people to explore music. There's nothing like a little inebriation to bring out the courage to try things that you'd usually be too self-conscious to try out. :)

My drums are set up so you must play Traditional grip or have a versatile matched grip. The forward tilted snare drum is the key because if they try to move it thats when I can ask them to leave if I didn't approve.

...but I don't really mind if someone wants to try out my drums. As long as the situation will allow, I don't mind someone tinkering on them. Drums increase the joy in the players, so enabling joy in others is what I aim for.

I've never thought it a problem when people played on my drums, as long as they're not bashing or going on too long. Bashing is a deal-breaker.

I'm always curious to see their approach - be it a noob or a pro. I can't understand how anyone could just walk past a drum kit without wanting to play it.

Drum-kits are always a temptation for sure!

I've never thought it a problem when people played on my drums, as long as they're not bashing or going on too long. Bashing is a deal-breaker.

I'm always curious to see their approach - be it a noob or a pro. I can't understand how anyone could just walk past a drum kit without wanting to play it.

Personally, I'd have let him play when the singer first asked. You'd have been right there with him at that stage. What damage could he possibly have done with you standing a foot away? Providing he played and didn't abuse.....you might have had some fun with him. But that's just me.

That said, as for playing after you'd already knocked it on the head? Definitely not cool.

I can't imagine the nerve to just walk up to someones musical instrument and just start playing it without permission!

It is kind of like getting into someones car and just driving it!

I have never even thought about doing something like that.
I really wonder about people sometimes!

Ha ha! Very true, Polly. I'm guilty, I must admit it, very guilty indeed.

You and a billion others, Jay :) I see it as an occupational hazard, along with power-drunk bar managers, dodgy electrics, blinkered sound engineers, personal neuroses, etc.

"Occupational hazard" is the wrong word for me ... makes it sound like I've ever been a pro or even sniffed professionalism's groin ... "hobby hazard"??

Back