Ian Paice

Thanks Ian for sharing....it's cool that Ian Paice never played the same solo twice that solo was different from Made in Japan similar but different even through it was around the same time. His single stroke rolls alone are worth the price of admission.

"Ian Paice on the the drums..........YES"

Bonzolead

Fellows, that is all about - to share as much as We can, regarding the splendid drums and astonishing drummers around the world.

Nice . . that is some of the cleanest playing I've heard him do, esp on the versions of the Mule. A lot of Buddy and Morello in there.He really aces the slow single on this version as well. I have the Copenhagen DVD, where if I recall correctly, he has a second bass drum. I thought that was earlier; but it may be the same one. Is that all single pedal of two bass drums?

Oh, here it is . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbYj71g1QQQ

As far as I know, the only time that Ian Paice used two bass drums, was in the intro of the song Fireball. For him (Ian Paice), to play with two bass drums it's just an amazing effect.

Bonham will always be my Fav. no doubt I think Bonham popularity arise from not only being a great drummer but a total original no one like him kinda like Hendrix in a way, I've had the pleasure of seeing DP 4 times only once with Ritchie (Perfect Strangers tour) Ian totally killed it everytime I seen him through.

Bonzolead

This Bonham Paice thing has come alot, and it's really apples and oranges.

Both are killer drummers, but Zepplin and Bonham played a variety of styles that Deep Purple never did. But I also think that John Paul Jones really made Bonham. Take away Jone's bass playing and what would Bonham have done? It's amazing how many think alot of Jones' bass playing is drums. Rock and Roll is a great example of this. I don't think I've ever heard anything from Bonham that wasn't with Zepplin so what could he have done without Jones? Paice has played with a lot of different musicians, but the music has been straight forward hard rock for the most part, so what else can he do? What would he do with the folk, country and acoustic stuff? We can assume a lot, but we'll never know any of this until it's done which is something Bonham can't do now.

One thing about both of them that makes them greats in my opinion is that they are both musicians and drummers. Not only could they both play fantastic grooves, but they also played them melodically. 2 Songs for Paice that I didn't see mentioned here are Hush and Woman From Tokyo. Listen to that chourus bridge thing in Hush, not only does Paice nail the rhythm, but he plays the melody while doing it. These guys didn't play drums, they played songs. Something that is sadly missing today in the mainstream.

I think Paice has missed the point when he talks about everybody sounding the same now. The drummers he mentions played at a time when drummers could be musicians more then they are allowed today. So much of rock is cookie cutter music to repeat was has been successful. Listen to top 40 radio today, and you're really listening to a half a dozen songs redone over and over. It's rare if not impossible for a top 40 group to step out of the box.

This Bonham Paice thing has come alot, and it's really apples and oranges.

Both are killer drummers, but Zepplin and Bonham played a variety of styles that Deep Purple never did. But I also think that John Paul Jones really made Bonham. Take away Jone's bass playing and what would Bonham have done? It's amazing how many think alot of Jones' bass playing is drums. Rock and Roll is a great example of this. I don't think I've ever heard anything from Bonham that wasn't with Zepplin so what could he have done without Jones? Paice has played with a lot of different musicians, but the music has been straight forward hard rock for the most part, so what else can he do? What would he do with the folk, country and acoustic stuff? We can assume a lot, but we'll never know any of this until it's done which is something Bonham can't do now.

One thing about both of them that makes them greats in my opinion is that they are both musicians and drummers. Not only could they both play fantastic grooves, but they also played them melodically. 2 Songs for Paice that I didn't see mentioned here are Hush and Woman From Tokyo. Listen to that chourus bridge thing in Hush, not only does Paice nail the rhythm, but he plays the melody while doing it. These guys didn't play drums, they played songs. Something that is sadly missing today in the mainstream.

I think Paice has missed the point when he talks about everybody sounding the same now. The drummers he mentions played at a time when drummers could be musicians more then they are allowed today. So much of rock is cookie cutter music to repeat was has been successful. Listen to top 40 radio today, and you're really listening to a half a dozen songs redone over and over. It's rare if not impossible for a top 40 group to step out of the box.
You're right it's like comparing apples to oranges i've always said there is something in the water over there(England) Cozy,Bonham,Ginger,Moon,Ward,Paice,Palmer just too name a few. I've heard recordings with Lord Sutch with Bonham on the drums and he had IT you knew it was him as soon as you heard the drums, having a great bass player like JPJ helps of course but Paice had Glover very underrated IMO what it comes down too is that they were great rhythm sections just like Moon & Entwistle. Great bass players & drummers know how feed off one another, but once in awhile you'll get the MAGIC combo and that is what Bonham & JPJ were but there are many MAGIC combos out there back then & present.

Nowadays hardly anybody tries to experiment with recordings like they did back in the 60's or 70's and that's why they sound so cookie cutter IMO i'm sure there are a few that still do but today but it's mostly go to the studio and record, not go too a castle put the drums in the foyer and hang 3 mics at different heights like LZ did for "When the Levee Breaks" it's kinda of sad in a way. Back too the topic Paice is GREAT one of my fav's. probably more so since Bonham's passing.

BL

Glad I read this thread. It's prompted a three day Paice bender. Haven't listened to anything but Purple albums since Thurs. It's been good to revisit them and I've made myself focus purely on the drumming (not easy with two masters like Blackmore and Lord to ignore!!!). Insane,,,,the man has immeasurable talent and is a joy to listen to. No point getting into the a/b thing with drummers. Bonham was truely great, Paice had a completely different thing going on and it was great, Palmer was different again....and great....Appice was...well, I could go on forever....but it's pretty much why we refer to all of these guys as 'THE GREATS' of rock drumming.

A lot of Ian Paice fans will know this, but for those that don't........

You know Pacy doesn't over play. Ever wondered why he "Solos" over the vocals on the song BURN?

While DP were running through the song they couldn't find a drum line that scammed well enough.
It was take 5 or 6, trying to find the best drumming & either for a laugh or through frustration Ian Paice started playing a solo......
The rest of the band looked at him & said "That's it."

So it was a (well played) lucky accident......

Some pictures to share, fellows!

Attachments

• IPKit.jpg
    IPKit.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 2,920
  • deep_2Dpurple_2D6.jpg
    deep_2Dpurple_2D6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,793
  • IAN PAICE 1972.jpg
    IAN PAICE 1972.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 5,620
  • PEARL SNARE IAN PAICE.jpg
    PEARL SNARE IAN PAICE.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,564
  • PRO+MARK+IAN+PAICE.jpg
    PRO+MARK+IAN+PAICE.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,609
A few more....................

Attachments

• Ian Paice.jpg
    Ian Paice.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,115
  • PaiceAction.jpg
    PaiceAction.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 1,782
As per your request, enjoy it!

Attachments

• Paice.jpg
    Paice.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,729
One of my favorite drum solos ever, definetely one of the best in history. Remember the first time I saw it and I didn't know anything about Ian, I was so impressed that I didn't realized he was lefty. Just awesome.

Ditto - never realised he was a lefty - think I'll start a thread on that......

Sorry if this was all ready mentioned, but does anyone else remember the PBS show "Rock School?" They had different professional musicians showing how to play their instruments and other related information & Ian Paice was the drummer on the show. I remember learning how to tune my drums from him!

As far as I know it was not mentioned before, thanks for bringing it up. I learned most of the rudiments (single, double, paradiddle) from him - Mr.Paice.

Sorry if this was all ready mentioned, but does anyone else remember the PBS show "Rock School?" They had different professional musicians showing how to play their instruments and other related information & Ian Paice was the drummer on the show. I remember learning how to tune my drums from him!

I saw Ian with Deep Purple in Atlanta in the 70's. Ian was working so hard that he had a window unit air conditioner behind him blowing cold air directly on him.

I love the pop of his snare drum in the live video from the NEC!!

Back