Impulse snare drum purchase!

You are so right! I got incredibly lucky on this find. Then my wife had the nerve to ask if I was going to sell it! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

that's really funny! Absolutely outstanding purchase! Drumcraft is the closest thing in my mind to that great grestch sound...

That pic of the shell thickness is insane. I don't think I've ever seen an aluminium shell that thick. I'm off to find some video of such a drum.

Great score!

I purchased the 6.5 version from Sam Ash a few weeks ago. Great sounding and solidly built snare, sadly it just was not for me. I found that I much prefer more lively sounding snares like brass. The snare had a nice woody sound but I found it too dry and a bit too "modern" sounding for my liking.

Have you compared it to a 14x5 Supra or an acro? I like the sound much more than my acro, which I recently sold, and I'm not sire if that's due to the construction or the depth.

LOL, when you said impulse buy - I immediately thought of a DrumCraft snare. They've been blowing these drums out for a while now - my next door rehearsal-studio-neighbor picked one up a few months back - he got the aluminum 6.5x14. Beautifully made drum and it sounded great...

http://youtu.be/SmR9fkChHNk

Here is a short clip of the DrumCraft snare recorded on a cell phone so I know the quality is crappy. Just wanted to give an example of the sound. The drums are being played by a young drummer from my church in one of our practice rooms.

Last edited:
I wish to find a deal like this!

I just saw this Drumcraft snare drum at my local Westminster Sam Ash going for $241. It sounded so nice. It sounded just as good, if not better than any of the DW snare drums that were up for sale. The 13" Black Spaun sounded great too. Of course, there was a Black Beauty there too and it sounded the best, hands down. I can see why it has a $700 price tag. All the Tama snares sounded awesome. No surprises there. Yes, there were some duds too, but we won't go there. I probably would have gotten the DC snare on layaway, but I have my heart set on a mail order maple snare w/ a 10-ply Keller shell and I only have so much money to throw around.

I hate to do this but I may need to sell this snare...

Would $450 be too much to ask for it?

I picked one of these series 8 cast aluminum 5x14 snares at a Sam Ash for the same price as the OP (was their last drum - floor model).

I demoed it for about 30 minutes, with multiple tunings ranging from medium low to medium high and various snare tensions. It had a stock OEM Remo CS coated head (which is a little foreign for me) I played rudimental stuff, jazz, funk, New Orleans, rock, punk - you name it.

I set up a modern supra next to it (medium tuning and snare tension) for reference.

I was blown away by the sound. Verrrry articulate and dry (compared to the Supra). The sound is a mix between my Tama bell brass and a stave maple drum (if that makes any sense). It is an aggressive drum with a somewhat refined/mellow sound and much different then any thin shelled aluminum snare. The drum is big sounding like my bronze (not the more common brass) black beauty but drier and not quite as aggressive (more woody sounding).

This is a very versatile drum and a welcome addition to my arsenal. To answer the OP's question this drum has been selling on eBay for 200-300 (completed sales that is - some people are asking 400-500 but they are not selling at that price) but I think the price may start going up as these final drums leave stores.

Last edited:
Back