Joey Jordison

Joey is a very humble guy and just a little ashamed of the popularity he gets with his drumming. He knows that his abilities at the moment are not at the level he wants to attain in the future and he has very big respect for jazzdrummers like Elvin Jones and Brian Blade. And he also tries to work on a regular practice schedule and take lessons with good teachers. In no way he is rich - perhabs compared to some scholars or students, but for sure not compared to some serious businessmen here in this forum.

In the whole world there are only 3 rich drummers: Charlie Watts,Phil Collins and Ringo Starr - ahhh: and the King of Thailand.....

Bernhard

Last edited by a moderator:
i think joey is a great pop-metal drummer with a clean, tough sound... however, he can't keep time very well.
i'm not a slipknot fan but they are pretty fun to play along to, and what i've noticed is that joey actually speeds up considerably when playing a straight punk-style beat for a while, but then slows down during his double bass rolls.
i can't roll quite as fast as him on my double pedal (or with my hands), so i'm in no position to criticise.. ..but keeping time accurately is the most important aspect of drumming.
if you can't keep time, you need more practice.

as far as joey's fans are concerned.. ..i have a mate who is a drummer and likes slipknot, and even after he saw a virgil donati clinic with me, he said he thought virgil was good but not as good as joey!
he listens to tool and fear factory, and he can't even tell how much better danny and raymond are than joey because he is such a hardcore joey fan
lol :D

helldrummer said:
i think joey is a great pop-metal drummer with a clean, tough sound... however, he can't keep time very well.
i'm not a slipknot fan but they are pretty fun to play along to, and what i've noticed is that joey actually speeds up considerably when playing a straight punk-style beat for a while, but then slows down during his double bass rolls.
i can't roll quite as fast as him on my double pedal (or with my hands), so i'm in no position to criticise.. ..but keeping time accurately is the most important aspect of drumming.
if you can't keep time, you need more practice.

as far as joey's fans are concerned.. ..i have a mate who is a drummer and likes slipknot, and even after he saw a virgil donati clinic with me, he said he thought virgil was good but not as good as joey!
he listens to tool and fear factory, and he can't even tell how much better danny and raymond are than joey because he is such a hardcore joey fan
lol :D

Where exactly is Joey not in time. Im sure all the people that dislike his drumming wouldnt say it is because of his timing. You could say he is repetetive but his timing is perfect.

kornslipknot said:
Where exactly is Joey not in time. Im sure all the people that dislike his drumming wouldnt say it is because of his timing. You could say he is repetetive but his timing is perfect.

not on their live album it isn't.
i remember playing along to the blister exists and he speeds up during the cool death-march bit (you should know which bit i mean) and also towards the end

in eyeore he slows down towards the end (where the drumming gets crowded) and i think that is because he starts off a little bit too fast.. like he is pushing himself to play that quickly... which isn't good.

anyway just because you haven't noticed his timing errors don't tell me i'm wrong for pointing them out, you should listen more carefully or try playing along to those songs with headphones

by the way what do you mean by "all the people that dislike his drumming"... 1. i don't dislike his drumming and 2. if i did, i would be one of those people and in that case one reason why "those people" didn't like his playing would be because of his timing. which is definitely NOT perfect. are you even a drummer? anyway, i never said i disliked his playing.. ..i actually think he's good and i've said that before (TWICE) on this forum

helldrummer said:
not on their live album it isn't.
i remember playing along to the blister exists and he speeds up during the cool death-march bit (you should know which bit i mean) and also towards the end

in eyeore he slows down towards the end (where the drumming gets crowded) and i think that is because he starts off a little bit too fast.. like he is pushing himself to play that quickly... which isn't good.

anyway just because you haven't noticed his timing errors don't tell me i'm wrong for pointing them out, you should listen more carefully or try playing along to those songs with headphones

by the way what do you mean by "all the people that dislike his drumming"... 1. i don't dislike his drumming and 2. if i did, i would be one of those people and in that case one reason why "those people" didn't like his playing would be because of his timing. which is definitely NOT perfect. are you even a drummer? anyway, i never said i disliked his playing.. ..i actually think he's good and i've said that before (TWICE) on this forum

Yes i am a drummer and in a band. My fellow band members arnt fans of slipknot but I definatly am and obviously am inspired by his drumming. We do gigs ect... I plan to post us up on this site but we havnt done much recording because we have only recently started.

I know the blister exists part of the song you mean and there is no miss timing at all! The snare work and symbols are perfect, maybe its your own drumming you can hear thats not quite right. As for Eeyore have you even listed to that song? It slows down halfway and then speeds up again at the end, which is exactly what Jordison does. I dont really like Live 9.0, but personally i think he makes the album. Have you listened to the drum solo? That is just over 3 minutes of perfect drumming that is fast and DEFINATELY on time. Do you really think they would have brought that album out with the drums out of time?

You said you think Joey is good and yet you say he is out of time. I certainly wouldnt appreciate a drummer who plays out of time on an album, so im not sure where your coming from.

kornslipknot said:
Yes i am a drummer and in a band. My fellow band members arnt fans of slipknot but I definatly am and obviously am inspired by his drumming. We do gigs ect... I plan to post us up on this site but we havnt done much recording because we have only recently started.

I know the blister exists part of the song you mean and there is no miss timing at all! The snare work and symbols are perfect, maybe its your own drumming you can hear thats not quite right. As for Eeyore have you even listed to that song? It slows down halfway and then speeds up again at the end, which is exactly what Jordison does. I dont really like Live 9.0, but personally i think he makes the album. Have you listened to the drum solo? That is just over 3 minutes of perfect drumming that is fast and DEFINATELY on time. Do you really think they would have brought that album out with the drums out of time?

You said you think Joey is good and yet you say he is out of time. I certainly wouldnt appreciate a drummer who plays out of time on an album, so im not sure where your coming from.

first of all: good to see another aussie here at dw !

second: i think joey is good because of his chops, his speed, his technique, etc. not his timing when playing live... ..a good drummer (like joey) can record in time but a great drummer (like raymond herrera or danny carey) also stays in time when playing live (imo)

i think we must hear things a bit differently because i find his drum solo on 9.0 quite boring and very sloppy in parts... i certainly don't think it is right on time

do you play against a click track? or do you sometimes use a metrenome? ...start doing either one of these things and after a while you will also notice the time slips of other drummers (and yourself of course!) ...

but... i'm talking about live 9.0 and i'd definitely forgive time slips in a live performance so yes i think joey is good, but not as good as a drummer who keeps perfect time in all situations (i.e. live or recording)

as for eyeore and the blister... i'm talking about live 9.0 and on that album you can't say i'm not right about what i said.
maybe that's why you don't like the album? or is it because of all corey's crap that he says because i honestly can't stand corey......

Joey Jordison is my favourite drummer ever! apparently, the two other percussionists shawn (clown) and chris are there to give Slipknot their "tribal sound". true they don't come through much, more so on the Self titled album than anywhere else. I luv slipknot, they were the first metal band I got into, and when I first listened to Vol 3: THe subliminal verses, joey's drumming blew me away!

metalheadeza666 said:
Joey Jordison is my favourite drummer ever!

I respect your opinion here and thank you for stating it that way. Joey is indeed a very good drummer.

There are a lot of people that need to make the distinction between, "My favorite drummer", and, "The best drummer in the world". Many people don't realize that these are two different things.

There are people that say Joey is their favorite drummer in the world, so they automatically think that means he is also the best in the world, which is not true. I'm not bashing Joey here because I do think he is very good, i'm just saying that there really are better and faster drummers out there.

My favorite drummer in the world is certainly not the best one in the world, but he's my favorite. (Not telling).

My opinion of him changed after I saw a video on youtube.com of him. It was some Roadrunner Records (or whatever the title was) dvd.

He was alone, in a studio. Blidingly fast doublebass work and also solid around the kit. Unfortunately, I just can't get into Slipknot (and no, it's not their costumes). I think it's 1/2-rate metal.

metalheadeza666 said:
Joey Jordison is my favourite drummer ever! apparently, the two other percussionists shawn (clown) and chris are there to give Slipknot their "tribal sound". true they don't come through much, more so on the Self titled album than anywhere else. I luv slipknot, they were the first metal band I got into, and when I first listened to Vol 3: THe subliminal verses, joey's drumming blew me away!

Its actually very surprising, but the drummers do come through and definately make a difference in the music and specially a live performance. The member that doesnt do a lot is Craig, who is the guy with the spikey mask.

my favourite living drummer is benny greb and dead is bonzo but as for the best in the world? there is no best in the world. its impossible because the criteria for judgement are so spread.
oh
ummm

this is a joey thread so i better say something about that.... he's a fantastic showman playing for a band whose music is, to put it lightly, a matter of taste.

j

cheers bernard !

that really shows how much potential he has... imagine how good he will be in 20 years??

u can also here on the live 9.0 cd of slipknot joey solo is pritty sick and in blister exists u can here there percutionist at the end of it joey is my fav drummer also.

Back