Promark Drum stick sizes(specs)

thebrok2

I have heard some good things about the white oak sticks by promark. I normally play Vic Firth 5a extremes or promarks Ringo star (5aL) because of the extra length (16 1/2). I was trying to find out more about the length and girth of promarks sticks but there website sucks. Any one know of a place to find the sizes of there sticks. If not whats the difference between a 747 and a 5 a?

www.promark.com
On their website I have no problem to find the specs of the sticks.
Click on the stick you interested in and a new window opens with the measurements.

I really like the white oak 707 nylons. They're a little heavier than the maples & fairly close in diameter to the 747s, but with a round tip instead of acorn-shaped, and the balance point is closer to the tip. The wood tip version (Ed Shaughnessy sig) is also quite nice, and a little heavier still at the tip end. Try some.

Last edited:
I second the Oak stick vote. I use Pro-Mark 727 and 747 (Neil Peart's stick) exclusively and I love 'em. They are heavier than their counterparts without adding thickness, they seem to vibrate less than hickory (IMO) and I don't break oak sticks nearly like I do maple.

The bummer is that they're generally more expensive than other sticks - usually $1 - $2 per pair more.

what stick number would a stick with a dia of 0.551 be??.....(i'm on about the ed shaughnessy model!)..because i have just orderd a pair, but fear they may be too thick for me.....i wanted a stick a small bit bigger than my vic firth 7an classic nylon tips
anyone help me out??...because i have an old, VERY old, 5A stick and it seems a bit too heavy
i think the make was grafitti...or some random one like that!
cheers, Bryan

This drum-stick (Promark tx808lw) seems to be very good, used and signed off by Ian Paice - Deep Purple. I will check the specifications and post it.

Attachments

• Ian Paice Promark tx909lw.jpg
    Ian Paice Promark tx909lw.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 6,108
Last edited:
Re: Pro mark Drum stick sizes(specs)

I have been using the 727's for about three decades. They are that good. Though, I only wish that Ahead would make the same size stick. As of late, I have been cheating on the 727's with the Ahead 5A's which are killer, Just on the fat side though.

I second the Oak stick vote. I use Pro-Mark 727 and 747 (Neil Peart's stick) exclusively and I love 'em. They are heavier than their counterparts without adding thickness, they seem to vibrate less than hickory (IMO) and I don't break oak sticks nearly like I do maple.

The bummer is that they're generally more expensive than other sticks - usually $1 - $2 per pair more.

Same here. I used to break Maple and Hickory sticks with alarming regularity. I found the Pro-Mark Oak sticks about 15 years ago and have never looked back. (2BNTs)

Yes, they are heavier and a little more expensive, but they last longer so I';m saving in the long run.

The real bummer is that if you want the 747 model you have that wanker's name on it. :p

I love the oak sticks. For me, it was the tips on hickory sticks that wore out too soon. Oak tips stay "crisper" longer.... without the plasticky feel of nylon. I'm using 7A's.

-Ryan

Be careful of buying Pro Mark. I love the sticks and love the 2B's, but I did the "roll-the-stick-on-a-flat-surface" test and one wasn't balanced correctly. It totally bummed me out, but I continue to use them because I've tried nearly every brand out there and Pro Mark has the most organic, pure feeling of them all. I'm just giving you guys a heads up.

That's equivalent to a 7

Sorry, Lengo... .551 is what Pro-Mark measures their 5A at, slightly smaller than a regulation 5A, which is .560. It's also the diameter of several similar sticks, such as the 707 and 747, in their line.

This drum-stick (Promark tx808lw) seems to be very good, used and signed off by Ian Paice - Deep Purple. I will check the specifications and post it.

I've used the nylon tip version, both oak and hickory, nearly exclusively for 20 years. I've used some that equaled but never surpassed it (VF Omar Hakim, Vater 3A), but stuck with these because I can rehearse with the heavier oak model and gig with the lighter hickory without changing how they feel in my hand (balance, thickness).

I've been playing Pro-Marks for almost a decade now. While I'm considering moving down a weight, I've been using 5Bs, usually the Shirakashi Japanese Oak ones (the one with the Sumo wrestler's figure on it) for close to 6 years now, with the Millennium II finish. It's the PW5BW. The hickory counterpart is TX5BW, with a 16" length.
Since I sweat a lot, it's important that the stick doesn't slip away. The Millennium finish makes it work for me.
I play wood tips only. These are long, beefy sticks which are great for both practice pad playing as well as laying it down; the reason why I wanna change to a lighter stick is dynamics, I feel a lighter stick will help me achieve goals on a dynamic level that the 5Bs aren't probably allowing me to express.
As for signature models, I am not a huge fan of those: to each his own, right? I have played the Simon Philips model (though I'm not a great fan of round tips) and the Carter Beauford ones, both are excellent, Simon's model being longer. The most satisfactory experience, however, came from playing Benny Greb's sig model, which is 5BG (a nice personal touch, that!).
Now I have a question: anyone tried out the Vic Firth 55As? Any feedback?

Back