Chad Smith

First, I LOVE OCEAN CITY MARYLAND!! Anyway, I think he is. He's just a hard groover, but none of the grooves he does are hard and or technical. Even the solo's I've seen him do are all understandable.

Well...

Thanks for the shout out for O.C.! ;-)

And as far as CS goes, I think what he's brought to the RHCP is an excellent style that fits perfectly into what they're all about. Chad is just awesome "in the pocket" of the nucleus of the band.

Not to mention, just a fantastic entertainer behind his kit. I love Chad Smith's "attitude".

Though, he may not be thought of in the same realm of a Bonham, Peart, or Moon, he more than holds his own in the RHCP.

And I just don't consider him over-rated for what he does with the RHCP.

:)

Last edited:
chad is my fav drummer along with my fav band. all these people are saying negative things he doesnt have like good like drumming skills but if you watch some videos and stuff on youtube like charlie where hes @ a sabian demo, he has a lot of heart and passion in his music. also, its not always the more difficult you play, the better it sounds. chad has developed his own sound, and i think it is very recognizable as well as funky, but also fun to play along with

chad is my fav drummer along with my fav band. all these people are saying negative things he doesnt have like good like drumming skills but if you watch some videos and stuff on youtube like charlie where hes @ a sabian demo, he has a lot of heart and passion in his music. also, its not always the more difficult you play, the better it sounds. chad has developed his own sound, and i think it is very recognizable as well as funky, but also fun to play along with

Totally agree with this assessment, kevmac858! ;-)

Oh, and...welcome to DW. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Just say YES to Chad. :)

Chad Smith is a member of Chickenfoot, playing in London UK in July this year. Taking a break from the C-Peppers I guess.

As posted.Chickenfoot is;
Joe Satriani, Chad Smith, Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar.

Hager is a great voice, made some classic solo albums a well as with V-Halen.
Satriani is legendry......
If I was in the UK I wouldn't want to miss it.

You should also check this out!! This is from the Buddy Rich Memorial Concert which took place last October. Great stuff from Chad and from Will Lee and Paul Pesco (who knew they could yodel) as well as some of the best horn players in New York.

The DVD will be released by Drum Channel at the end of this month. Buy it!!! It is wonderful, with great performances by Terry Bozzio, Tommy Igoe, Pete Erskine, John Blackwell, Nick Rich, Chad and Neil Peart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnhGhqp3KkA&feature=related

Paul

does anyone know chad's cymbal line-up in Red Hot Rythms, specically the crashes, thanks your help is greatly appreciated
b r a d .

Hi guys.

Yes, I also think Chad is a great drummer. I agree with the reasons why people think he's great: great groove and great feel. Many skills can make any drummer great: Thomas Lang has incredible speed and control, Steve Smith has great creative jazz chops (and just an all-around great drummer period!), Neil Peart's compositional creativity - and on and on. Chad has proven that you don't need the aforementioned to be a great drummer (although he may have them all to some extent); heck, groove and feel are two of the most important skills to have drumming-wise! And Chad displays them in spades.

By the way, are you all aware of the air drumming contest Chad Smith and DrumChannel.com are hosting? There's a prize! Check out the details here:

Drum Channel's Air Drumming Contest With Chad Smith

Have fun!

it was interesting go through drum channel, and hearing Terry Bozzio discuss Chad Smith as a great drummer. (Somewhere in the Bozzio-Peart-Perry interview, when they're discussing things that are coming up in drum channel.)

I've never been much of a RHCP fan, but I do have the Chickenfoot CD.

Chad Smith is the man......All the finess and technique in the world doesn't mean anything of it doesn't have any feeling. Lets get serious drum solos get really boring after about 30 seconds. Feeling and a good sense of groove are all a drummer needs to understand.

If you haven't checked out his new dvd, Eastern Rim it's a must for all you CS fans! Escpecially make sure you check out his jam with flea, frusciante, and some dude on midi bass from Federation Square! It's sooooooooooo sooooooooo and I repeat soooooooooooo sick!

Lets get serious drum solos get really boring after about 30 seconds. Feeling and a good sense of groove are all a drummer needs to understand.

I completely disagree...what solos have you been watching...just curious.

I completely disagree...what solos have you been watching...just curious.

I know that was a bold statement from me, especially being a drummer. Don't get me wrong but I feel like the only ones that appreciate drum solos are drummers and the rest dont care. I've seen countless solos, and after a while it's like ahhhh ok I think i've seen enough. I guess I have an old school approach in a sense, to me feel, time, and a sense of good groove is the most essential. Solos are kind of like a cherry on top of a sunday, it comes later, and maybe sometimes never.

The funny thing is. I got started on the drums due to a drum solo. It was Louis Bellsons "Skin Deep," which put me in awwww at a young age. I then saw Chad Smith kill it live and I said to myself that has to be me. Now why am I knockin on drum solos? Unless it's a bigger than life superstar they honestly bore me after about 30 seconds.

To me drums are like the back bone of music and the structure. Some musicians don't realize how important this is. Wether it's free spirited jazz, or straight 2 & 4 rock, it's needs to groove, be solid and feel good. That to me is most important, and too many kats worry about a soloand don't break it down to the bear bones, ya know?

Solos are cool. Don't get me wrong you'll see me throwin down chops to show off because I'm only human. But like I said the sense of music must come first then comes your time to shine........but only for 30 seconds lololol

Thanks for picking up on my comment!

His work with CHICKEN FOOT and at the BUDDY RICH MEMORIAL CONCERT seals the deal. The man is a monster behind the kit and human outside

I saw Chickenfoot last Monday in Beantown and Chad rocked that kit! He throw out a ton of live energy and kicked some major booty.

True, it wasn't a drum clinic on display, and no drum solo either. But overall I give Chad's output two thumbs up.

He also threw out about 100 drumsticks into the audience. I don't think I'm exaggerating, either. Some songs he was throwing a stick every measure! All without missing the groove.

I just hope I can d/l a boot of that show somewhere!

That Bombastic Meatbats video is pretty cool too. Traditional grip and subtlety from Chad Smith? Whoodathunkit?

Back