Dave Weckl

Do you have a list of who plays on which song? I only downloaded the mp3s. Quite hard to distinguish who is who...

Cheers,
Tim
Here U go -

Weckl plays on
4. Surreptitions
10. Super fusion Unit
13 Burn brightly

Most of the straight pocket grooves are Abe and Vinnie plays the jazzier swing stuff....

Here U go -

Weckl plays on
4. Surreptitions
10. Super fusion Unit
13 Burn brightly

Most of the straight pocket grooves are Abe and Vinnie plays the jazzier swing stuff....

Great, cheers. Thought that fill in track 4 was him! Also I think on track 10 that is one of the nicest grooves ive heard him play...Sweet! Anyone who says he can't groove should listen to it...

He's mainstream?!?! you have got to be kidding me. showme another drummer anything close to dave. and if you haven't checked out his band's cd (live and very plugged in) and then tell me that's "mainstream" i don't hear any other drummers with dave's style, or feel. he plays such odd timings, and has such a sweet style playin his bongo's and djemba dealy. i dunno, but this quote is way off dave, you must be talking about a different drummer.

I agree...I beleive that Dave Weckl's sound is quite unique... he has such amazing sensitivity...so many colours, just great. I have heard many people saying that they don t like him, and I just dont get them.
Hes one of my 3 favorites by far....along with gadd and cobham.

Dave weckl is a great drummer and probaly a great guy aswell but i find he kinda tries to show of and recks the music, i remember listening to him at a friends of mine and i nearly hade to ask him turn if off i just couldent listen to it it was just pure cheese (eleavator music ha) I find at times he tends to overpower the music and the band, But dont get me wrong he's a great musician and when he need's to can really Groove and lay it down.!If only he held back at times and thought about the music/band as a hole he could be The best.
It's all about the Groove..Without it thers nothing else......!

All the best
Eoin o dowd

A lot of people say he overplays ...

Then you see him live and you know he was still holding back on the recording ;-)

I believe that DW is the most gifted drummer. I really appreciate his dedication to lifting drumming to new heights.

the guy is amazing....

hands down

he has so much control over his sticks its incredible

i hear hes more a jazz drummer. but the way he uses double bass is unimaginable.

its crazy how many accents you thought you couldnt have, but when dave gets on the kit its like

...warm apple pie

Dave I think is a great drummer, He's not all that of a Jazz drummer though like the ride patterns he does is more of a progressive rock pattern.
I'm not a big Jazz drummer though...
He's gotta be out of my top 5 fave. Drummers he's probably my 4th.

Dave is just such an unbelievable musician. He is continually getting better.

Absolutely! I remember a clinic he did back in the day where he said something like "I won't give you any double pedal advice, because I've only just picked one up and I don't know what to do with it." And now look at him with the double kick! Go Dave!

I am definitely a fan of Weckl myself....and in his defense of any reference to sounding UNoriginal and mainstream etc.....
I think it's because he was so copied and mimicked and now he sounds like he is "vanilla" to some people, when he was so so original when he first hit the scene round 85-86 when I 1st heard him.
I never will forget the solo on Paquito D'Rivera's GDANSK. My 1st exposure to him..... I NEVER heard ANYthing like what he was doing on that track. He at the time was very unique, sure he had alot of Garibaldi and Gadd influence..... but I dont think he sounded like them at all. MANY original things in my op....as well as some killer stuff with Michele Camillo (sp?).... ONTOP of starting a trend or being the biggest reason for the sales of the 8" - 10" tom set up on the bassdrum during that timeframe...albeit (w/ the Gadd/Colaiuta styled suspended small "floortoms") the Mullet with perm...hahaha...U saw many Weckl wannabes round berklee at the time...ask anyone.

I still love going to see him play when I can, last time was years ago when he still had Brandon on sax.....The man is precision and just as graceful and dynamic as they come on a drumkit. I realize everyone has opinions and taste...thats what makes it great...to each their own....I just had to mention that to me...he was very very innovative in the earlier day til' MANY people (including myself for years...set up....style....burnt out "back to basics vhs 2x.... lol)...Just now I can see where people would say he's blah and not original or unique when you compare him to a scene he was partly responsible for culminating what it is he is being judged against....if they didnt look back previous to B4 his solo stuff and later Chick stuff and to when he changed many things when he was hitting the scene.
just my 2 cents on Mr. Weckl.
Always ONE OF MY FAVES.....STILL IS.

Last edited:
wow...in my haste to post..I totally missed the thread about his kit on ebay.
Man...have seen so many legendary kits on ebay....there must be a thread on here somewhere about that...I mean some not so legendary but cool...haha
I remember seeing the Greg Bissonnette "Eat'em and smile" HUGE Yamaha kit on there as well as Tommy Lee's "Theater of Pain" white Sonors and perhaps the craziest one I saw was Neil Peart's candy apple red Tama's (from MANY albums)...I remember when he unloaded them on a modern drummer contest...anyone remember that ?...think was in late 80's. He had a contest, you send in a 2 minute long drum solo...the top 3 got one of his kits....1st prize being that red Tama kit (for the record the 2nd place prize and one I would have loved) was the mahogany Tamas from Moving Pictures among others....then 3rd place won the Slingerlands from the older Rush days. Man time flies.....seems like only yesterday I was cursing and throwing drumsticks around my bedroom in disgust. Trying to capture 2 decent minutes of my playing on cassette thru a beatbox (lol) to send in. I never did, instead just got many 2 minute clips of just playing as fast as i could and just a ball of energy with NO direction. I finally chickend out realizing who I would probably be going up against,.....I was right.
I guess I wasn't such a naive kid at that point. Anyway what were we talking about? haha

sorry for the babble...slow day at work.............. ;)

I am definitely a fan of Weckl myself....and in his defense of any reference to sounding UNoriginal and mainstream etc.....
I think it's because he was so copied and mimicked and now he sounds like he is "vanilla" to some people, when he was so so original when he first hit the scene round 85-86 when I 1st heard him.

Personally I hear absolutely nothing "vanilla" about him but then again I'm a big time Weckl fan so what do you expect me to say.

Personally I hear absolutely nothing "vanilla" about him but then again I'm a big time Weckl fan so what do you expect me to say.

Neither do I brother.....far from it ..... :)

Anyone here catch the "Chick Corea at the Maintenance shop" from 85/86 ?
Was when the band toured as a trio...Chick, John P and Weckl........great stuff. Was during his 1st go round with Sabian and he was then playing the 13" Old Slingerland Snare (6 lug) ..I believe.....I have old footage from a vcr recording I made and then converted to dvd....so quality is a little sketchy.......does anyone know if that was ever released in any fashion (vcr/dvd) ?

Back