Travis Barker

skippy said:
he is the reason i began playing drums but gadd weckle and all those greats are the reason for me to still play. barkers stuff is good it taught me to how to be fast. his transplants stuff is different and the newest transplants cd has a latin style song there is some jazzish stuff if diverse but alot of people think fast and famous when they hear his name. but hes rad.

No, the fast and famous part didn't confuse me. His music has nothing to do with jazz, nor has it ever been jazzish. Salsa on a hamburger won't turn it into a Mexican dish. The same applies here. I'm not saying he's a bad drummer. He's just not this.

And luke-ep, please identify the rudiments you equate with jazz, because I was under the impression that the same ones applied to all music. Guys like Barker have their press agents use terms like jazzish and jazz influenced to elevate the gravitas of their clients. After a while enough people repeat this stuff to where it becomes the lie that is agreed upon. But really...it's not true.

ok elvin...how much stuff by travis barker have you heard? if dennis chambers or all of those drummers with deep pockets that are realy funky and whatnot was to do a fast as hell single stroke roll around the kit you would be impressed. hell everyone is impressed when buddy rich does it. whats the difference? go to www.ocdrum.com and watch the travis barker solo that is on there. watch the hole thing. on a different video of the same solo hes playing with a broken right foot so his left foot is playing via a double bass pedal. can you do that? if you want to see that video you have to go to blink 182s website and watch it (which i doubt you will). its playing the bass drum with a double peday because he broke his right foot. all he uses is a single pedal but have to have a double pedal for that solo so he could play his bass drum. then go over to www.blink182.com and click downloads and watch his videos of him recording and stuff. then come back here and post on what you think.

Stu_Strib said:
I .My actual disdain for Travis Barker stems just from matters of taste. What he plays is just not very tasteful. Playing lots of notes isn't always the best thing.

that is what pop-punk music calls for though. if he played a realy funky groove behind all the power chords and fast guitars it would sound like absolute crap. am i right? he plays pop-punk drums for pop-punk music. if its transplants he plays hip-hop/rap stuff. he plays whatever the music calls for. hes recorded for pink black eyed pes bubba sparxxx and the list gows on. when he started playing drums his teacher taought him jazz and nothing else. in an interview he said he would take rock records in and the teacher woulndt show him that because all he would do was jazz. im just saying listen to alot of his different songs and recordings and you will see he plays what the music calls for.

Re: Travis Barker Sound

I got the pin strips Im happyer but not thriled with them. More than likely its just my tuning, and the fact that i havnt tuned the bottum heads yet, if i tune the bottum heads tighter what happens verses lusser?

Re: Travis Barker Sound

You should try the EC2's. From what I've heard about them, they'd probably give you the sound you're looking for.

Tony Rockyhorror said:
I love the fact that if a guy is working for his next meal drumming and plays like Travis he'd be considered by more people as great, then he gets successful and everyone is like "he's so overrated". Travis is a great drummer period. Is he one of the best ever? Probably not. Now one of the best out now? That could be argued. And think about it how many drummers are known by the general public for THERE DRUMMING. You have Tommy Lee who's known more for his sex tapes and maybe Tre Cool and that's more that he's in such a reconisable band. But even before Travis got his reality show he was reconized as a great drummer. Think about the bands he's been in. Blink 182, Boxcar Racer, The Aquabats. He carried every lats one of them. The only time I've ever been disappointed with him is in the Transplants and I still give him respect in that. As far as being a stoner goes OH NO PEOPLE IN ROCK AND ROLL ARE BAD. You wanna say that than you might as well go " Hey remember that drunk Keith Moon" or " remember that drug addict John Bohnam" Hell Buddy Rich was known for being a jerk to members of his band. But the men and woman on this site aren't on here for being good people. There here for there drumming. And Travis can drum.

I completely agree with you Joe, who cares what the guy does, so what if he wants to smoke a little pot here and there, he has earned his right to do so. Travis has managed to make every record hes played in a hit, i would say thought, that in playing with Bands like Blink 182, he is a little restricted, its obvious that he has much more musical ablility than Base player (Mark Hoppus), or guitarist (Tom Delonge) of blink 182, but they do what they need to do, and as a result, they sound great. I think that if people want to comment on this site, then comment about the drumming, not what the drummers do in their every day lives. Travis is a great drummer, and he should be respected by all other drummers out there, and i believe that he has many more years until he reaches the heights of his success as a drummer, not just a (punk rock) drummer.

he said in the blink dvd " i don't consider myself a punk drummer" going on to say that he learned all different sorts of beats. he was taught by a jazz drummer, but i think he is a punk drummer.

luke-e-p said:
Travis barker is a jazz drummer by the way, listen to his rudiments!

Funny, sounds like a marching drummer to me. Jazz drummers are a lot looser. Have you heard any actual jazz, or did somebody just tell you that rudimental playing = jazz?

Yeah, definately his style is more akin to marching drumming. Barker is the man. If he was a jazz drummer he wouldn't sound like Travis Barker.

I was in jazz band in high school. Does that make me a jazz drummer?

Good grief! Guess I've just gotta' break down and hear something by this guy sometime soon. Think he must have come on the scene when I started listening to jazz and classical exclusively for a spell a few years ago. Damn, I'm gettin' old.

ok, i know this discussion is heated. but we all have our own personal favorite drummers. and travis barker is my favorite. he may not be the best drummer in the world, but what he does inspires me. so really thats all that matters. everyone is inspired by somebody. who cares if it's travis, or buddy rich, or whoever.

help with this Travis Barker lick...

Hey, can someone please transcribe this Travis Barker fill for me? I can't figure out what it is.

It's in the song Anthem, off Enema of the State. He does this fill at 2:31, and I don't know what he's doing on the snare. I don't think it's single strokes.

Re: help with this Travis Barker lick...

Well it could be singles with right hand accents- most probable to me. However, it could also be this Rlrrll Rlrrll Rlrr Lrllrr Lrllrr Lrll Rlrr Lrll Rlrr Lrll.

centralzeke said:
Hey, can someone please transcribe this Travis Barker fill for me? I can't figure out what it is.

It's in the song Anthem, off Enema of the State. He does this fill at 2:31, and I don't know what he's doing on the snare. I don't think it's single strokes.

Can you edit the bit out that you are working on, and upload it here? My wife has a bunch of Blink songs, but not that one.

Or you can send me the mp3 and I'll cut that part out and post it. These threads are much better when we all have a baseline to work with.

Sorry man, for some reason windows media player has no sound (suddenly, right in the middle of watching a dvd). I've uninstalled it, reinstalled it, uninstalled it, redownloaded latest version of it, installed it....video with no sound...

Worst part is even AFTER I remove it through the control panel, it STILL takes over all my file formats EVEN after I uncheck all the files. The only way to beat it is to right click on a file and 'open with' then use real player or itunes or divx or whatever, that all work.

God I hate microsoft.

The problem now is, if I click your attachment, it opens in WMP 10 (even though it is uninstalled, and even though the default player for mp3s is iTunes). So I try to save the link as, and it gives me some pointer to Bernhard's server.

So until someone helps me fix my WMP (ARGHHHHHHHHHH) you'd have to send me the file pm.

Or you can wait until my dependable 6 year old mac gets here from my overseas shipment!

brittc89 said:
Well it could be singles with right hand accents- most probable to me. However, it could also be this Rlrrll Rlrrll Rlrr Lrllrr Lrllrr Lrll Rlrr Lrll Rlrr Lrll.

Hmm, it really doesn't sound like singles to me and that pattern seems a little complicated. Maybe it's buzzes or something else with doubles??

ok, i'm quite sure: just singles and accents all with the right hand. Fast but simple

Bernhard

Back