Terry Bozzio

jazzgregg said:
It appears all that armour is covering your ears, Ian.=)

Interplay is what Mastelotto and Bruford did, Fredy Studer and Pierre Favre, Muir and Bruford, Keltner and Ringo, Ibarra and Charles, Stubblefield and Starks, not this. I'm suprised that it isn't more obvious, don't let your admiration for these people colour your perception....

G

Ahhhh, ok. I concede. Your opinion is pure concrete and you are so much more knowledgable about well... everything... than little 'ol me.

Ian Ballard said:
Ahhhh, ok. I concede. Your opinion is pure concrete and you are so much more knowledgable about well... everything... than little 'ol me.

Have you been talking to Dr. Powerstroke? Don't start that man, it's just a difference of opinion! No conceding, just that you don't need to tell me anything because I can't hear it, I hear it just fine, know what I'm saying?=)

G

jazzgregg said:
Have you been talking to Dr. Powerstroke? Don't start that man, it's just a difference of opinion! No conceding, just that you don't need to tell me anything because I can't hear it, I hear it just fine, know what I'm saying?=)

G

Darrrrrn, I forgot to put the little smiley guy after my post.

funny thing about bozzio...for me, i had his video mostly double bass drums, he's a great player,but i didn't care for the video that much. but the videos of him playing live "u.s. drag" w/ missing persons and with jeff beck,the records with zappa, i really dig. he comes across as a real down to earth guy...killer drummer.

Sticksman said:
Chances are that you've heard of Terry Bozzio, and if you haven't, then all you should really know is that he thinks and plays his drums like their his own orchestra ~ melodically.

At first, I was thrown off, because, as we all know, it's all about the groove, but as I listened to more of his work and saw his video here, I became more and more impressed. So now, melodic drumming takes up some of my time as an interesting approach to the drums. He drummed for Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, among other bands, and is now a solo artist.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Terry_Bozzio.html
Bozzio is for sure one of the best , not many drummers can sell out a whole staduim for a single drum show.

I saw Terry Bozzio with ZpZ in Canton Ohio...I wrote a breif review on the ZPZ site....TB's playing was great the entire band was really amazing. Joe Travers also played very well. I had a pass to try to meet TB afterward but was not able to spreak with him which was a bummer ....but the show was very good...and he used his larger kit on this leg of the tour.

http://www.zappa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44

Well Finally got to see the Zappa plays Zappa show on Sunday in Boca Raton. Great 31/2 hour show, hearing some great music that is being kept alive and well by the family trust.

Terry seemed to be having a bad night. His monster kit was set up to the side corner of the satge. He had some type of pedal problem and was crawling around on the floor trying to fix it for sevreal minutes, before the drum tech came out and tried to help. The set was not mic very well, the sound was very weak compared to the bands mix. Many of his isntruments could'nt be heard while he was striking them. It got a little better wehn he did his drum solo and wasnt being overpowered by the rest of the bands mix, but even that the bottom ened was very weak.

Would have liked to hear more of him and Steve Vie, but in all was please with the concert.

I think it would be great if they made this leg of the tour into a DVD show to purchase. I am curious to see if they do anything with that.

Also I was happy to see this show since I worked on the Black Page for my own Senior recital in College years ago. I even sent a tape of my version for review to the now defenct Rhythm magazine.

If you want to go one better, there's always "Punky's Whips" which is a much more involved song about Terry's obsession with a glam rock guitarist. Contains the cracker of a line "His hair is so pretty / I want to bite his neck / I've heard a rumour / He's more fluid than Jeff Beck".

The arrangement is better too, T&B is more of a comedy sketch.

That song is HILARIOUS. Great musical theater, and not only does Bozzio play some complex parts in the song, he also sings while he plays, and gets into his character also. Good stuff.

Someone compared Tommy Lee to Bozzio here. I understand the reasoning behind it (I think Lee is a great rock drummer, despite his loathsome personality), but Bozzio can lay it down (no pun intended) with any rock drummer out there. Not all of his Zappa stuff was complex, and the Beck stuff was pure throb. I don't think Lee has the intellect to handle Zappa type stuff.

I saw Bozzio on the first Jeff Beck tour, and he moved like a boxer behind his kit, and was solid.

yeah I think you could only compare Terry Bozzio with Tommy Lee on a very surface level....maybe the visual aspect of their playing.....but Bozzio is far and away a bette rmusicain than Tommy Lee and has the intellect and musical back round to run cirlces around Lee...not knocking Lee but we are really talking two different players here....I think people have gotten the wrong idea about Bozzio since he used to be so showy with his playing but there is alot going on there musically as well.

yeah I think you could only compare Terry Bozzio with Tommy Lee on a very surface level....maybe the visual aspect of their playing.....but Bozzio is far and away a bette rmusicain than Tommy Lee and has the intellect and musical back round to run cirlces around Lee...not knocking Lee but we are really talking two different players here....I think people have gotten the wrong idea about Bozzio since he used to be so showy with his playing but there is alot going on there musically as well.

much respect to tommy lee, but mr bozzio is really on a different level. ive got a lot of respect for terry, hes a fantastic musician and the work that hes done, from missing persons to zappa to the brecker brothers, is always top notch.

Terry Bozzio and Neil Peart are probably the best drummers walking on this earth (imo).
You know you're good when your drumming is just as powerful as a Symphony Orchestra.
His drum kit is just as big as a Symphony Orchestra also.

Back