The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Re: Buddy Rich dvds?

Lambo said:
Thinkin I'm gonna pick one up. Anyone got a recommendation?
Also, anyone know if there is any footage around the net of Buddy away from the kit ie an interview?

I believe theres a whole buttload of Buddy on Johnny Carson footage somewhere, but dont think theyve given much to the public. Shame.

Re: Buddy Rich dvds?

Live at the Montreaux Jazz Fest, Channel One Suite and West Side Story-The Lost Tapes(recorded in the 80's in surround, very cool), Jazz Legend Pts. 1, 2. Those are the one's I have seen and they are great.

Attachments

• animal.jpg
    animal.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 624
Re: Buddy Rich Stick Click Trick?

Years ago when I was in college I met Buddy at a small hotel lounge near us in Grand Rapids, MI. He was half asleep during the first hour set but when he came back for the second hour...man what a show!! He did the stick Click Trick and explained that he was taught that when he performed on stage at 4 years old! He used to perform without a drum set...just sticks...and he also would throw the sticks on the floor so they would bounce back to his hands. He showed me both and really it isn't that hard...just a lot of practice as you are hitting one stick on the downstroke and the other on the upstroke. I am not that great of percussionist but I was able to build up to a reasonable speed for my music exams in college. The stick bounce off the floor isn't so useful but I used to practice that as well and I got so 90% of the time they would come up correctly..cool BUT ...the other 10% makes you look like an idiot!

Good Luck!

After watching the 2nd video file from West Side (Downloaded from here) It appears that he's doing alternating 32nd notes. He doesn't appear to be doing any RRL RRL RRL... as was earlier stated. He's just hitting the sticks together very fast. Very awesome to watch never the less... It's too bad they didnt have the quality video back in the 50's & 60's like they have now, otherwise, I'd bet there'd be 100 times more footage of the legendary Buddy Rich!

After watching the 2nd video file from West Side (Downloaded from here) It appears that he's doing alternating 32nd notes. He doesn't appear to be doing any RRL RRL RRL... as was earlier stated. He's just hitting the sticks together very fast. Very awesome to watch never the less... It's too bad they didnt have the quality video back in the 50's & 60's like they have now, otherwise, I'd bet there'd be 100 times more footage of the legendary Buddy Rich!

After watching the 2nd video file from West Side (Downloaded from here) It appears that he's doing alternating 32nd notes. He doesn't appear to be doing any RRL RRL RRL... as was earlier stated. He's just hitting the sticks together very fast. In the other video clip the one that was refered to earlier... I think he's actually doing a para-diddle (RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL)... Very awesome to watch never the less... It's too bad they didnt have the quality video back in the 50's & 60's like they have now, otherwise, I'd bet there'd be 100 times more footage of the legendary Buddy Rich!

Who else saw Buddy Rich live?

Just wondering how many others were able to see Buddy Rich perform live. I saw him twice and have never seen another drummer like him since! Words simply cannot describe his playing. Now his personality is a whole nother topic! Rude to say the least. Would not even give me an autograph, and the shows were attended by around 60-75 people.

Re: Who else saw Buddy Rich live?

I got to see him in 1983. I was about 10 years old. I don't remember much about that night other than I was so floored by watching this old guy tearing up this little Sears catalog drum set(that's what it looked like to me anyway). My dad took me to see him and I didn't really want to go at first. I wasn't at all into jazz at the time and I was used to seeing drummers that played on bigger sets of drums than what Buddy used. But I went anyway and by the time Mr. Rich was done my dad was picking my mouth up off the floor. I couldn't believe it! I mean, I've seen drummers bang on their sets but Buddy PLAYED his. I listen to his music and watch his video's all the time and I always learn something new everytime. Buddy is second on my "influences" list, right behind my dad.

I saw Buddy twice in the early 80s. Good stuff.

Happy to say I was able to see him once. Must have been early 80's. Great performance and smoking band.

unfortunately i didn't know who he was until years after he died, (and when i started drumming)

I saw Buddy Rich at least 10 times at a small club in Wilkes-Barre, Pa called the highlighter or something like that. He always played his ass off, but man a few times somebody pissed him off and he and the band just quit playing for the night.

I was also lucky enough to accidentaly bump into Buddy at a bar the night before he was to play. It was mid afternoon and he was just in there having some drinks. I got to hang out with him for hours, he was a fun guy if you got to hang with him.

JOe

Joe Morris said:
I saw Buddy Rich at least 10 times at a small club in Wilkes-Barre, Pa called the highlighter or something like that. He always played his ass off, but man a few times somebody pissed him off and he and the band just quit playing for the night.

I was also lucky enough to accidentaly bump into Buddy at a bar the night before he was to play. It was mid afternoon and he was just in there having some drinks. I got to hang out with him for hours, he was a fun guy if you got to hang with him.

JOe

Hah! That's great, you were probably the only guy in that bar he respected!

I'm relaying this information from another post, but I actually ecountered Buddy Rich twice.

Back in the old days, I worked as a security guard in Detroit during the summer while going to school. My main "gig" was something called the Bob-Lo boats on the Detroit River. However, for two weeks I worked at something called the "Reniassance Center," as it was being completed. I'ts now the home of General Motors.

On a Saturday night, I was working the back of the place watching three parking lots. It was an uneventful job with not a lot to do so I started bringing my pad and sticks with me as I stood in that booth.

I stood with my back to the building, looking out on the lots, and I was practicing my paradidles at the time. Five guys approached me, and one of them said, "Hey! Nice Paradiddles you got there."

As I mentioned previously, they were almost finished with the place, but parts of it were still a mess inside. Come to find out the five of them were inside, took a wrong turn, and were suddenly outside and had no clue how to get back in.

I was very impressed that the guy could actually tell what I was doing just by watching my hands, and he also noticed that I'm a lefty with a traditional grip. He pointed out what I was doing wrong with my right wrist and gave me a short lesson on what to do with my fingers.

Then one of the guys said, "Hey Buddy, we gotta git..."

My eyes widened, and I swallowed air as I tried to say, "Buddy? Buddy? Buddy Rich?"

"Wow!" I exclaimed. "Thank you, thank you thank you..." As I shook his hand with both of my hands.

As I remember, I was about 17 at the time, and hadn't been taking lessons all that long. I knew who Buddy Rich was, but I didn't know Buddy Rich, if that makes any sense.

Then, two years later, I was scheduled to work a Saturday night charter cruise on one of the ships. The entertainment for the evening was Buddy Rich, with what I assume were local musicians playing along with him.

The weather was horrible, and even though the ship could hold close to 2400 people, only about 400 or so showed up. On the 2nd deck, from mid-ship aft, was the dance floor, with a small bandstand just about mid-ship. That's where he set his kit up and the other musicians played out in front.

For the better part of three hours, I stood no further than five feet from him, watching him play.

The end result may not be what you would think. For me it was absolutely devistating. Maybe being 19 years old and a little too self absorbed, perhaps, but I became so depressed and intimidated watching him. You could not see the sticks at times, and his forearms never moved!

I just kept thinking to myself, "I will never be this good... NEVER!"

I didn't realize at the time that arguably no one else was that good either, and that it's okay, and that there's no shame in being less proficient than Buddy Rich!

Joe Morris said:

JOe
Buddy in a bar in the afternoon drinking? Please elaborate........

TD

I have to admit, I'm one of the unlucky ones that never got to see the master play except through all the wonderful videos that are available. Having said that as a drummer and video production guy Buddy Rich is always at the forefront of my work on a daily basis.

Working for WFD and Drumometer in which if you know the story of how the debate between Barrett Deems and Buddy Rich inspired the instrument and the entire WFD movement then you can imagine what an influenece he is each day on every video cut at WFD.

Although I never got to see him, to me living through his works, I have to say he is the greatest that ever lived. If you haven't checked out his works please do. He was not only one of the fastest or the best, he was and still is the greatest!

TD

I saw Buddy 3 times and still remember a lady shouting to him "when are you going to do a drum solo?" shortly after he finished West Side Story! Everybody laughed when Buddy hollered back to the lady "what the hell do you think I've been doing up here for the last half hour?"

Back