List of stolen items:

Ludwig Vistalite blue:
14x22 kick #1817672
8x12 tom #1816566
9x13 tom #1852665
16x16 tom #1818078

Ludwig Supraphonic chrome:
5x14 snare #1817237

3 Remo Roto-Toms with Full Trimline Reflector Shells (6" 8" & 10") on Pearl stand

3 lacquered wooden naval ammo cases, lined with foam, containing Ludwig Hercules hardware (snare stand, boom cymbal stand, 3 straight cymbal stands, hi hat stand, throne stand, and Ludwig Speed King pedal)

Ludwig Canister Throne silver sparkle #202773

Anvil cases:
5x14 #E1944
8x12 #E20527

Generic fiber cases lined with foam and stenciled with my id:
14x17, 18x22 & 18x26

Latin Percussion:
solid bar chimes
5" black beauty cowbell
7" woodblock

Neary drum torque wrench

Rogers:
Dual Matic Hi Hat clutch
"Super X" external muffler

D'Aleo's Stick Caddy with assorted mallets, sticks, and brushes

Miscellaneous accessories

Attachments

• 1980 Paul.jpg
    1980 Paul.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 829
Sorry to hear about this. If the drums match the photo, it should be a little easier to spot than normal since there's no bottom hoops on the toms. It's good that you have the serial numbers as well. Really hope you get them back soon!

Thank you, Jeremy. They are the drums in the photo; however the bottom hoops were removed from the toms just for that recording session.

where are you from?

ny or nj?

im from ny, ill keep my eyes open. copying the serial numbers to my phone incase i run into them.

Thank you, v.zarate. I'm from NY; however, the drumset was stolen while enroute to NY from NJ so it could be anywhere. Copying the serial numbers to your phone is a great suggestion. I hope others will follow your lead.

Last edited:
Notify local pawn shops. You have the serial numbers. Give that info to every pawn shop you possibly can.

Also look in local pawn shops, everywhere that will buy used drums.

Thank you, v.zarate. I'm from NY; however, the drumset was stolen while enroute to NY from NJ so it could be anywhere. Copying the serial numbers to your phone is a great suggestion. I hope others will follow your lead.

Sorry to hear this....when were they stolen,and how were they stolen in route?Vintage or reissue vistalites,as the drums in the pic appear to be vintage.

Steve B

Thank you, HMNY. I am now registered on those websites.

Thank you, kyle. I will notify and look in as many pawn shops in the NY/NJ metro area as I can.

You are correct, tamadrm. They are vintage. The family who was storing and transporting them for me sold them without my authorization.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, tamadrm. They are vintage. The family who was storing and transporting them for me sold them without my authorization.

FYI...if the family sold them to a person that is unaware they are stolen, and they paid fair market value, then your only recourse may be against the family. At least that's Massachusetts law....

Bummer. BTW, I used to own a similar kit (the blue vistalites) from the 70's.... My first real kit.

Sorry to hear this......If the family you're talking about has any contact number of the person they sold them to, I guess your best bet is trying to obtain it from them (as well as the money) and talk to the person who bought them.

Good luck

"The family who was storing and transporting them for me sold them without my authorization."

If this is the case, have you at least approached this family for an explanation?

What lead up to them having possession of your drums, I imagine you must have felt comfortable previously leaving the drums with them?

Were you behind on your storage fees and they sold them to recoup the fees?

Thank you, M. Portnoy. The family I'm talking about refuses to give me the contact information of who bought them.

Thank you, HMNY, the family refuses to give me an explanation. They were being stored in their house in NJ as a favor to me.

This all sounds rather unfortunate, however, if you have no already done so, I would consider involving the police, this might provide some leverage in terms of an explanation, and or the ID of the purchaser.

Thank you, GRUNTERSDAD. There were no storage fees. They offered to store them at their residence as a favor to me, then sold them without my knowledge or authorization.

Thank you, HMNY. I have already involved the police, but also posted the serial numbers here so my fellow drummers can crosscheck them against any blue vistalite drumkit they may happen to come across.

What I don't understand, unless there is more to this story than meets the eye, is that you essentially know who the thieves are, and instead of directly approaching them, or getting the authorities involved to actively pursue this family, you have chosen to issue serial numbers in the hope the drums may be located, even though, you have a much better chance of locating the drums by finding out who the family sold the drums on to, something that the police should be able to do in short order.

It doesn't sound like the party with the drums is the thief. It sounds like the party who SOLD the drums is the thief. IMHO, they should be held accountable unless there is more to the story to which we are not privy.

I wonder where the law sits on this situation. Someone agreed to let pfriman store his drums at their house. Does that give them any rights at all to the property? Was there supposed to be something in writing for an arrangement like this? Did pfriman relinquish any rights when he agreed to this without anything written down? Sounds like it's best to get any agreement like this in writing, judging from hindsight. From a moral POV, the guy should not have sold your drums, assuming it is as cut and dried as it sounds.

Thank you, HMNY. I know who the thieves are and have directly approached them and gotten the authorities involved, but the family refuses to divulge to anyone who they sold the drums to. The police are unwilling to compel them to do so.

Thank you, Zickos. I agree. I am more interested, however, in recovering my property than in who should be held legally accountable.

Thank you, larryace. I agree. Hindsight is 20/20 and the guy should not have sold my drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back