Restoration of my Sonor Force 2001

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi guys,

about 1 1/2 years I started to restore my old (and first) drumkit: Sonor Force 2001!

I removed all the plastic sheet and bought some veneer which I glued to the shells..
Yesterday I finally started laquering the drums and it already looks pretty good!

Check it out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifloegel/sets/72157627006305588/

Btw: The shells are red from the inside as well.. Special I guess ;)

Tell me what you think! :)

David

I agree - very nice work! Congrats - and that whole project took you a while.
My frist impression from the pics you posted on facebook was that I didn't like that red hue too much but I guess that's the difference between looking at pictures and seeing those shells in the flesh. Plus, the hardware and finally all drums set up will surely provide far more visual impact as they do now. The shells look way more attractive than in the original state! And then, it's 'only' your 2nd/live kit ;-)

Another thought of mine was first staining the shells with a dark (maybe even black) hue, then sanding the stain off to a certain degree (to bring out the grain considerably more - as is typically done with e.g. guitar veneers, and that's where I know this approach from) and then put on the final stain. Having some Burst effect would have been a nice choice, too. Those shells would have looked very nice by adding just a little bit of a yellow/brownish hue, too.

Very nice work David :) Red was a brave choice, especially considering the already pleasing natural colour of the veneer. I'm interested to see how it all looks set up & ready to play. Quite a bit of work there!

Thanks for your answers!

I'm actually really happy with the red - it looked somewhat brighter before the clearlaquer of course but this is the color I actually intended to have!

I guess they definitely look way better with the hardware on it.. I'll post some pictures when they're done and maybe also some live pictures (I will need this kit on March, 30)..

What I need to do before I can put more laquer on it is removing some blisters from the veneer.. It was pretty difficult to glue the veneer to the shell.. I put a lot of pressure on it but on a very few parts of the shell there seemed to be either no glue or not enough pressure.
So yeah, quite some work to do on:
bassdrum, 16" floor, 14" floor... Only if I can get these blisters removed I should consider putting a high gloss on it, as you will see every little inaccuracy..

We'll see!

I'll keep you updated!

This, buying a veneer to "wrap" your shells in...I never really heard of this before, it seems like a recent idea, either that or I missed it up until now. I think it's a brilliant idea, smashing, fabulous, lovely. I like your method of gluing the veneer, but from the blisters you mentioned, it sounds like the fabric "belts" should be as wide as the shell itself, if that's possible. Smashing job David, is that birdseye?

I played a set of budget Sonors once and I gotta say, I thought they sounded terrific. I may do this to a set of Mapex drums I have where the lacquer finish is way yellowed from UV exposure. Thanks for the inspiration David!

This, buying a veneer to "wrap" your shells in...I never really heard of this before, it seems like a recent idea, either that or I missed it up until now. I think it's a brilliant idea, smashing, fabulous, lovely. I like your method of gluing the veneer, but from the blisters you mentioned, it sounds like the fabric "belts" should be as wide as the shell itself, if that's possible. Smashing job David, is that birdseye?

I played a set of budget Sonors once and I gotta say, I thought they sounded terrific. I may do this to a set of Mapex drums I have where the lacquer finish is way yellowed from UV exposure. Thanks for the inspiration David!

Glad you like it Larry!
I didn't hear of anybody wrapping up shells with veneer that way either.. I don't know, maybe I invented something new ;)
Regarding the blisters: Yes, either wider belts would have been a good idea or more belts.

Yes, the veneer is birdseye! :) Loving that!

Going to post more pics soon!!!

Applying veneers is a dark art. I think I've seen it once or twice before. In fact, you might do well to PM 'Uniongoon' over here - he veneered a whole set of Premier Signia drums a while back. Wider bands would be a good idea if you're having problems but you've got to make sure that the fabric has no give at all - otherwise it won't work at all.

I'm a big fan of the Force series drums. I love them.

Today I finished the laquering process!!! :) Such an exciting day..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifloegel/8564667139/in/photostream

The shells are satin and I really like that!
Nevertheless I'm thinking about polishing the surface?? What do you think (especially Andy?)

Also, I ordered some Hardware such as Bassdrum feet, TAR systems, washers, bassdrum claws and stuff like that.
So hopefully next weekend I can make some videos and soundsamples :)

Bestest

David

Those are looking great! I'm looking forward to seeing them all set up.

What sizes do you have there?

-Jonathan

these are:
20x16 bassdrum
8x8 racktom
10x9 racktom
12x10 racktom
14x14 floortom
16x16 floortom

some facts why I think those drums should sound way better than before:
-1- obviously there's no wrap anymore, but real wood veneer
-2- the shells are laquered from the inside as well
-3- brand new bearing edges from SONOR!! same as on my sq2
-4- isolators between lug and shell. actually I wanted the sq2 rubbers but they are 5€/piece and that was to expensive for the 80 I would use..
-5- TAR systems on the racktoms
-6- new bassdrum feet with isolators
-7- wood hoops on bassdrum instead of metal hoops!!!
-8- the shells are now a little bit smaller than before so the head has more "space" to move..

I will do a 1:1 comparison with my sq2, even the shell sizes and constructions are different, of course!

excited to have the set finished!!!

Last edited:
Today I finished the laquering process!!! :) Such an exciting day..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ifloegel/8564667139/in/photostream

The shells are satin and I really like that!
Nevertheless I'm thinking about polishing the surface?? What do you think (especially Andy?)

Also, I ordered some Hardware such as Bassdrum feet, TAR systems, washers, bassdrum claws and stuff like that.
So hopefully next weekend I can make some videos and soundsamples :)

Bestest

David
I'm quite liking the satin finish to be honest. With such a vibrant colour, you'd almost expect a gloss finish, so a satin is a nice surprise.

BTW, Andy isn't a fan of rubber gaskets between lugs & the shell, but don't let that put you off! ;) ;) ;)

I'm quite liking the satin finish to be honest. With such a vibrant colour, you'd almost expect a gloss finish, so a satin is a nice surprise.

BTW, Andy isn't a fan of rubber gaskets between lugs & the shell, but don't let that put you off! ;) ;) ;)

Ok, I might try polishing it on a little corner and try what it looks like..

I actually like these gaskets but 5€*per piece??? that makes 400€ for 40 lugs (2 holes per lug) ...

You did a great job!
The reworked shellkit looks sexy, even more so with the hardware mounted.
Honestly that nice veneer provides great cosmetics with any stain/colour or even in 'natural', just with a coating finish. Red was a nice choice.
The result looks so much nicer than before, it was really worth it.

Fantastic! I've been following this thread just wondering how it would work out with the hardware on them.
Seriously impressed....I know they'll sound as good as they look to.
Congrats!

Thanks you two!

Really, they sound awesome!
Yesterday I checked out the bassdrum (that's why the pedal is mounted on the pictures)..
No dampening, no "real" tuning - just tightened the screws on a bit.. Result was a wonderful, warm and deep sound, dynamics work fantastic.. NO comparison to before: A muddy sound without any warmth..

Damn I'm so eager to mic this kit and record it!!!

Wow, that kit looks stellar!

I love that colour. Especially with the chrome hardware. It just works.

How much longer will we have to wait for the finished product? The wait is killing me!

Also, what heads do you plan on putting on?

-Jonathan

Wow, that kit looks stellar!

I love that colour. Especially with the chrome hardware. It just works.

How much longer will we have to wait for the finished product? The wait is killing me!

Also, what heads do you plan on putting on?

-Jonathan

Thanks man! I just love it!

In a week it has to be finished as I have a gig where I need it ;)
So I hope that my bassdrum legs will arrive wednesday than I can make a video and photos on thursday and friday :)

Heads.. Well, for the live stuff with the DJ team I'll use ambassador resonant heads on all toms and emperor clear as top head..
Depending on the music I might go with emperor coated as well..

Back