pretty dumb question

One could always sit on the handlebars... or if the bike has pegs- hop on! This was standard mode of travel pre-license.(for me at least).

And Larry... Beautiful interpretation of the roundness of drums... My next tattoo I think.

: ))))

No harleys Polly cmon girl.
OK while everyone is scratching their head on Jeffs brain buster, I submit for your consideration:

There's a prisoner in jail.
The prisoner has a visitor.
The jailkeeper, Thaard, asks the visitor: "How do you know the prisioner?"
The visitor answers..

Brothers and sisters I have none, but that person's father, is my fathers son.

How are they related?

(this is way easier than Jeff's)

Father and son.

You got that right.....still scratching my head there.

Yeah, that.

The way I see it, every two miles they line up (ridden the bike for 1 mile and walked for a mile) so at the 4 mile mark the two are at the same place. Then the first character gets to use the bike for the final leg and the second person is still walking. The second person is not a loser because he or she had more chance to appreciate the countryside.

However, if person #1 fell off the bike in the final leg, then person #2 might be first there, especially if a performance enhancing drug like caffeine was consumed (yes, a shameless attempt to get a response to my hitherto-ignored dumb question)

No harleys Polly cmon girl.
Yes!! LMAO!
There's a prisoner in jail.
The prisoner has a visitor.
The jailkeeper, Thaard, asks the visitor: "How do you know the prisioner?"
The visitor answers..

Brothers and sisters I have none, but that person's father, is my fathers son.

How are they related?

All siblings have passed on... and this dude is a ghost in a hell-prison?

That or said visitor made the mistake of getting married and now has a convict for an in-law... ; )~

This begs the question - why isn't there a furore about heavy coffee drinkers gaining an unfair advantage in the workplace over those who don't drink coffee? The edge gained by the use of caffeine as a performance-enhancing drug could mean the difference between winning that promotion - or not. Is this because work is less important than sport?

OK Polly, we're sorry we didn't take your lead here. How inconsiderate of us. An international public apology is being commisioned, look for it on your TV following these words: "We interupt your regularly scheduled programming for this special news bulletin..."

Actually this is a legitimate question, far too smart for this "dumb" thread. But I can shoot holes in it right off the bat.

First off it's not an unfair advantage. Non coffee drinkers have perfectly legal 5 hour energy drinks they can take. If they opt not to, that's their choice, their possible promotion. If I was an employer, I would promote the person who gave the best results the fastest. What do I care how they got there?

Work is not less important, it's just that there's no national committee breathing down most business' neck, and they can do whatever they need to do, to meet their goals. Including having their employees caffeine loading to produce timely results.

But back on topic, what is an itch exactly? Is it those microscopic bugs that live on our skin? And why does it migrate when you start scratching? Do they relocate?

But back on topic, what is an itch exactly? Is it those microscopic bugs that live on our skin? And why does it migrate when you start scratching? Do they relocate?

An itch is simply an irritating sensation that causes a desire to scratch. Could be caused by microscopic bugs but did you know that itching can and is often psychological in nature and caused by stress or anxiety? For some people, just talking or reading about the words itching and scratching can bring about the desire to scratch. This is sometimes known as "contagious itch." This is somewhat similar to why we sometimes yawn when we see or hear others yawn.

Now that everybody is itching and scratching, back on topic: Fruit Flies. When you have a piece of unripe fruit in the house, no fruit flies. The fruit gets too ripe, then BAM! Fruit Flies! Do the come in from outdoors or are they larvae hiding within the fruit somewhere and just hatch after the fruit ripens?

I just read this thread and I think that I made a mistake.
The mistake is that I didn't have six ounces of vodka before reading it.

Thanks for the itch explanation Malti. And you're right, all of a sudden I'm scratching. I am at a loss with your fruit fly question, but I would guess that they come from outside as opposed to inside. But that's just a guess. What I really want to know is do fruit flies get itches too?
I'll do an experiment. I'll seal a piece of fresh fruit in a glass jar and see if fruit flies appear as it rots. I'll be in touch.

Fruit flies lay their eggs near the surface of fermenting foods or other moist, organic materials. Upon emerging, the tiny larvae continue to feed near the surface of the fermenting mass. This surface-feeding characteristic of the larvae is significant in that damaged or over-ripened portions of fruits and vegetables can be cut away without having to discard the remainder for fear of retaining any developing larvae. The reproductive potential of fruit flies is enormous; given the opportunity, they will lay about 500 eggs. The entire lifecycle from egg to adult can be completed in about a week.

Fruit flies are especially attracted to ripened fruits and vegetables in the kitchen. But they also will breed in drains, garbage disposals, empty bottles and cans, trash containers, mops and cleaning rags. All that is needed for development is a moist film of fermenting material. Infestations can originate from over-ripened fruits or vegetables that were previously infested and brought into the home. The adults can also fly in from outside through inadequately screened windows and doors.
Fruit flies are primarily nuisance pests. However, they also have the potential to contaminate food with bacteria and other disease-producing organisms.

Well, the answer is:

It is QUICKER to use this method to travel the total distance, than if they were both walking.

The only problem is...I can't really explain why. It's kind of a long physics-related breakdown of each part of the event.

But, I DO KNOW that it is quicker in time lapsed.

Another head scratcher would be...while eating cows tongue, Does it taste you on the way down??

Another head scratcher would be...while eating cows tongue, Does it taste you on the way down??

Eww creepy. If the cow was still alive when you ate his tongue then I'd say yeah

Fruit flies lay their eggs near the surface of fermenting foods or other moist, organic materials. Upon emerging, the tiny larvae continue to feed near the surface of the fermenting mass. This surface-feeding characteristic of the larvae is significant in that damaged or over-ripened portions of fruits and vegetables can be cut away without having to discard the remainder for fear of retaining any developing larvae. The reproductive potential of fruit flies is enormous; given the opportunity, they will lay about 500 eggs. The entire lifecycle from egg to adult can be completed in about a week.

Fruit flies are especially attracted to ripened fruits and vegetables in the kitchen. But they also will breed in drains, garbage disposals, empty bottles and cans, trash containers, mops and cleaning rags. All that is needed for development is a moist film of fermenting material. Infestations can originate from over-ripened fruits or vegetables that were previously infested and brought into the home. The adults can also fly in from outside through inadequately screened windows and doors.
Fruit flies are primarily nuisance pests. However, they also have the potential to contaminate food with bacteria and other disease-producing organisms.

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! They have been lurking in my perfectly innocent looking fruit all along! I just gave up milk and now that I have this little tidbit of helpful information I will be giving up fresh fruit too! AAaaauugh! I must leave this little forum for a while before I have to give up something else that I love. You guys are killin' me.

Mix the fruit and the milk and make ice cream, freeze it and the flies will be gone.

If you French kiss a cow I suspect it will taste your tonsils. This begs the question ... do cows close their eyes when kissing human men? I expect that one of your guys will know ...

If the bike travels at 30mph and you walk at 6mph, then person it will take 50 mins for a person to walk the full five miles or 10 minutes riding all the way.

With the arrangement we have, Person A will take 26 minutes and Person B will take 34 minutes.

If you French kiss a cow I suspect it will taste your tonsils. This begs the question ... do cows close their eyes when kissing human men? I expect that one of your guys will know ...

If the bike travels at 30mph and you walk at 6mph, then person it will take 50 mins for a person to walk the full five miles or 10 minutes riding all the way.

With the arrangement we have, Person A will take 26 minutes and Person B will take 34 minutes.

Wow, Polly...

sounds genius to me.

Impressive!

Back