cymal stacker hardware help

Dipschmidt

Since I'm getting a new set for christmas, I'm gonna be short of hardware, so I'm looking into buying a "cymbal stacker" so that I can use a boom-arm for a set at my moms. (and, it will give me a little bit more room for anything i might want in the future.) If anyone knows what kind of cymbal stacker is in this picture (http://www.enabledrums.com/cymstack.jpg) or a stacker hardware most similar to this, it would be a great help. thanks! Or the one this guy uses in his videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBofed4I3SA). also, if this makes a difference, ill be using it to stack my crash ride (18) over my ride.

Virtually all major hardware manufacturers (DW, Gibraltar, Tama, Pearl, Yamaha) offer various kinds of cymbal stackers in their lineup, everything from a 4" threaded stacker to add a splash to a cymbal tilter, up to boom or offset stacker like the one depicted on the left of the picture you reference (which looks like a Pearl, but could be another brand). Simply put "cymbal stacker" in Google Shopping and check out the options.

To put a crash on top of a ride like you are thinking of, I would go for the most separation possible (i.e. a fairly long boom stacker) to ensure you have enough space to play the ride as if nothing were on top of it. For two fairly large cymbals like that, I would start with a straight or very large and stable boom stand, so nothing falls over on you.

I've used a variety of Gibraltar stackers in the past and have been pleased with the results, as far as sturdiness and stability. Keep in mind though, for the price of a long-range, high-end stacker, you could buy a good-quality used stand or a medium-weight new stand.

Keep in mind though, for the price of a long-range, high-end stacker, you could buy a good-quality used stand or a medium-weight new stand.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that haha. If the price is too much for a certain stacker, I'll just get a DW 9702, but that's if I come up with 200$ to spend. The glory of that would be that I can get rid of 2 stands :D

Oh I'm not talking nearly that much money... probably $60 at most.

Oh I'm not talking nearly that much money... probably $60 at most.

Phew, i was hoping i wouldn't be spending over 100$ on a simple piece of metal :p Also, what stacker are you using right now?

Currently I have two of these:

Gibraltar SC-CSA

There is a straight shaft about 4" that screws down onto the cymbal tilter threads and secures in place with a drumkey bolt. Then a nylon washer/sleeve combo and two felt washers slide down that shaft and the first cymbal rests on those. The stacker slides down the vertical shaft and is secured by two opposing drumkey bolts. The second cymbal is on a regular cymbal tilter. The stacker comes with two sets of washer/sleeves and felts.

Plusses: Solid, works well, can be combined with another SC-CSA to offset a cymbal; can even be hung inverted from a hanging boom (hung a splash under a crash in this manner with no issues).

Minuses: The addition of the vert shaft from the primary tilter will increase the height of the bottom cymbal by about 2-3 inches. The entire stacker is only about 8" tall, so it wouldn't work as well for what you're trying to do.

Recommend this one for that application: SC- BSCA

Same concept for the bottom cymbal, but then a Gibraltar dogbone-style clamp secures a standard boom arm to the vertical shaft (which is knurled rather than smooth).

Back