Ipods and mp3 players question

All of the mp3 devices work well! To each their own. I didn't buy Apple products because I thought that they were the coolest. I bought them because I liked them for what they are.
I also bought them because they had a store that I could go to that had great associates working in it that would help me. I didn't know anything about computers and iPods when I first visited the Apple Store. The folks there taught me how to use the products. I attended seminars there. Apple put the whole deal together with great products and one on one support. That is what you are paying for when you buy Apple. You are buying into an organization that is dedicated to servicing your every need when it comes to using their products. You don't just buy an Apple product and call an 800 number for support.
I don't mind paying more for that. That is my feeling.
I don't look at other mp3 and computer users as owners of inferior devices. I don't understand why anyone would look at Apple users as "Droids"
Like I said up top "To each their own"
I didn't see anyone in this thread saying that iPods were the best. I saw people giving unbiased advice to the OP.

Freakin' Droid. Wow. Maybe the busses are a veritable sea of iPods because those people like them over other makes, and maybe because they are dependable and to them easy to use.

Yeah! maybe teenagers aren't really concerned about coolness at all!

How difficult is it to turn a dial and push a button. Maybe for you there are too many moving parts.

If you were reading, direct user Interface of the device itself wasn't what I was talking about. Apple, I'll admit, is great with that.

Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me.

Oh yeah, I'm real jealous. Does that please you?

But that doesn't make the rest of us Apple users, Freakin' Droids.

;)

Ah yes......I remember being 'non-conformist' as a teenager too........I also remember making many sweeping statements that, upon reflection, seem rather foolish now!

If you don't like 'em....fine. I'm not here to try and change your mind. BUT, any other alternatives if I wanted more than 1gig out of my mp3? I've got 500 odd albums on my ipod and it's only half full. Can't do that with a single gig.

Ah, I thank you for your rational, non-douchey comment that wasn't conceived in order to increase post count. And folks wonder why Mac people get under my skin.

That brand of MP3 player produces devices with more memory, but that's the only one carried by Walmart.com. I posted that link for simplicity to the OP.

You seem to have some personality issues. You are worried about how people conceive you with a particular brand of MP3 player. You are concerned about someone elses post count. Mac people get under your skin because they justify their purchase of Mac products. Anything else? Or should we stick to the topic.? You have turned the thread into a teenage angst issue and a brand battle when all the original poster wanted was a few opinions on products. I will guarantee you that at 61 years old I could give a crap as to what people think about the brands I buy. And I never have, so don't throw my age back at me. Mac people, as you lump us, don't have the issues. We are glad you don't like the products so when the new stuff comes out you won't be in line. Thicken up your skin while you are young or you are headed for many disappointments. Sorry for the rant guys, but I'm tired of the foolish way that people get off topic on this forum.

You seem to have some personality issues. You are worried about how people conceive you with a particular brand of MP3 player. You are concerned about someone elses post count. Mac people get under your skin because they justify their purchase of Mac products. Anything else? Or should we stick to the topic.? You have turned the thread into a teenage angst issue and a brand battle when all the original poster wanted was a few opinions on products. I will guarantee you that at 61 years old I could give a crap as to what people think about the brands I buy. And I never have, so don't throw my age back at me. Mac people, as you lump us, don't have the issues. We are glad you don't like the products so when the new stuff comes out you won't be in line. Thicken up your skin while you are young or you are headed for many disappointments. Sorry for the rant guys, but I'm tired of the foolish way that people get off topic on this forum.

So after all that I'm supposed to believe that you don't give a crap about me hating Apple? You're generalizing as much as I am, Mr. "He is a teenager, and therefore is having angst issues." Maybe I have a strong opinion. Maybe I'm a coward behind a computer. Maybe I'm not mad at all.

Maybe you and I both need a break from DrummerWorld, huh?

Wow, sorry about the bad vibes. Didn't expect that from the questions.

Anway, I picked her up a pink Ipod Shuffle. It was a tough decision because with the other ipods you get the joy of future gifts with all the other stuff available, like the clock radio, etc. Bose has even gotten into the aftermarket game for ipods.

I passed on the Nano, and went with the Shuffle because while at Target to pick it up, they also had a digital video camera\ still camera\ mp3 player with a 4 gig SD card on sale that with the 2 equaled the price of the nano. I figured I can upgrade her to the Nano or another model in a few years.

I appreciate the help everyone gave. It made a difference and helped me understand what I was after. If it had been for myself, I wouldn't have much cared one way or the other, but for my grandaughter and in typical grandpa fasion, I wanted to get her the best, And other then the price considerations, not a single person told me the ipod was inferior to any of the other players although good things were said about Zune also.

Thanks again.

Vincent

You people are freakin' droids.

ROFL - magnificent epithet! Bravo! Must save this for future use - thanks GDU :)

Another iPod user here - a Nano. No complaints. I saw some other brands that were a bit cheaper but I hadn't done my research and went with what I knew.

I don't use iTunes, though, because it seems to cause conflicts on my PC. I manage the files with Winamp instead but I suspect the iTunes interface would be more intuitive for this purpose.

Ah, I thank you for your rational, non-douchey comment that wasn't conceived in order to increase post count. And folks wonder why Mac people get under my skin.

That brand of MP3 player produces devices with more memory, but that's the only one carried by Walmart.com. I posted that link for simplicity to the OP.

Own a PC sunshine.....ipod is the only peice of Apple gear I have............next? Or is a dig at 'post count' the best you've got?

Sit back down mate. No one's having a go at you, but you've had a big dig at all comers (remember, "You people are freakin' droids")? Take a deep breath and chill!!

Ipods are a bit overrated imo and I see no need to buy anything from Apple. I tried one once and it wouldn't work with my Windows 2000 computer even though the box said it would. Apple service was so-so and finally told me the Ipod just wouldn't work with some OSs.

This was over 5 years ago though, and I'm sure they work now. My big gripe is the required use of itunes and the fact that they can't be used as normal file storage devices. If it's 60gb or whatever why can't I throw whatever files I want on there? And why can't I just use windows explorer to drag whatever mp3s I want onto it?

What stinks is that there are not alot of choices for mp3 players over 40gb. I think it's pretty much just the ipod and zune. And the Zune carries many of the same limitations as the ipod I think.

For smaller mp3 players 4-16 gb I don't see any reason to use an ipod. The iriver I have will do more than the small ipods and is easier to use. Too bad there aren't more choices for larger capacity devices.

My big gripe is the required use of itunes and the fact that they can't be used as normal file storage devices. If it's 60gb or whatever why can't I throw whatever files I want on there? And why can't I just use windows explorer to drag whatever mp3s I want onto it?

Pavlos, you can manage the files in Winamp. But I sooo agree with your normal storage device comment! First time I saw the file structure of the iPod in Explorer it freaked me out. I mean, what is that weird goobledygook? The system totally takes control away from the user.

Pavlos, you can manage the files in Winamp.

You can load mp3 files to the ipod using Winamp? I had heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) that only Itunes could be used for loading mp3s onto the ipod and that it would actually alter the format.

One question for Ipod users. Can you load mp3s onto the ipod then go to another computer and load the mp3s from the ipod to that computer and have them stay intact as mp3 files?

You can load mp3 files to the ipod using Winamp? I had heard (and correct me if I'm wrong) that only Itunes could be used for loading mp3s onto the ipod and that it would actually alter the format.

One question for Ipod users. Can you load mp3s onto the ipod then go to another computer and load the mp3s from the ipod to that computer and have them stay intact as mp3 files?

Yes. I don't have iTunes installed and have only used Winamp for file management. Try a Google search with the words "winamp" and "ipod". I find it fiddly, though, and would much prefer to use Explorer.

I don't know the answer to your second question. Surely there's a way ... ?

That is a good question. I never tried it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't When you connect your iPod to the other computer it will probably sync the pod for you.
I usually transfer songs a few at a time from another computer. I email them to myself and I open them in iTunes. I also have moved songs to my LG Dare phone from iTunes via bluetooth and vice versa with no problems. I emptied an entire zune player memory into iTunes. I think that I plugged the zune into my Mac, booted, and imported the zune memory into iTunes. I can't remember now. I know this, If I did it, It must have been easy!! I'm a computer idiot!
I came home from the recording studio with a DVD. It had a 1.2 gig wav file on it from my bands recording session. iTunes sucked it in and it converted it to mp4 format for me without a hitch! I was shocked!
I load songs from iTunes into GarageBand and I convert them to mp3 format for emailing also.

Last edited:
You are only allowed so many devices attached to a particular iPod. That helps Apple
limit file sharing and making more money.

You are only allowed so many devices attached to a particular iPod. That helps Apple
limit file sharing and making more money.
Yes, but I always find ways to go around it. It isn't hard. GarageBand is my savior program most of the time. If you load a tune into GarageBand you can send it to iTunes.

Yes, but I always find ways to go around it. It isn't hard. GarageBand is my savior program most of the time. If you load a tune into GarageBand you can send it to iTunes.

But can you then load that from the iPod to an unlimited number of desktops?

But can you then load that from the iPod to an unlimited number of desktops?
I think that as long as the version of iTunes that is on the computer that you are syncing to is registered to you. Apple allows you to have five registered versions of their itunes software.
I get around this by loading music from other computers to a memory stick and/or a backup hard drive.
My wife is also an apple user. I recently used her version of Snow Leopard to upgrade my Mac. I also have plugged her pod into my mac and shared tunes.
Here is a how to link. http://www.geeksugar.com/116540 You have to change the settings a bit.

Last edited:
Back