Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

Hello drummers!What do you think about dvd and book MUSICAL TIME by Ed Soph.It is interesting how he shows body motions,for playing drums and cymbals.I tried his system on jazz gig last saturday,and results was fantastic.I locked groove with contrabass player,and whole band was very happy.Listeners was happy too.But his system is based on Fred Hinger technique,great tympanist,who teach Ed,Glen Velez,Billy Ward...etc.Cymbal playing is different,because he is waiting with upstroke(he play first note of triplet,rebound one inch on second triplet note and pause and on third triplet note he move stick up,when play quarter note.On the snare too;bass drum is also coordinated with,too).Other drummers,including me was trained in Morello,Riley etc.technique,where stick rebound as fast as posiblle,on first note of triplet,when play quarter note.What is difference for you?

I have dipped into this book a little, there's some good stuff on time, dynamics, how to position your body as well as your sticks. Haven't worked on it too much though, I might go back and take another look when I get time.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

gravy1.jpg

Here are some books I've checked out that caught my attention could you guys make any recommendationsof these books:
Pedal control by Dom Famularo
Groove alchemy by Stanton Moore
R&B drumming play-along by Zoro
Rudimental contest solos by Jay Wanamaker
Mastering the tables of time by David Stanoch
On the beaten path - Rich Lackowski ("rated best book by modern drummer")
Buddy Rich rudiments around the kit by Ted Mackenzie

Books I have since I began playing:
Learn how to play the drumset by Peter Magadini
Elementary drum method by Roy Burnes
Intermediate drum method by Roy Burnes
Double bass drumming by Joe Franco
Syncopation for the modern drummer by Ted Reed
Realistic Rock by Carmine Appica
Double bass drum workout by Kerry Collings
Advanced Funk Studies by Rick Latham
Buddy Rich's Snare Drum Rudiments
Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone
Advanced techniques for the modern drummer by Jim Chapin
The art of bop drumming by John Riley
Polyrhythmic potential by Chris Pennie

Hello to all my fellow drummers!

Just a quick plug for two of my video drum lesson package deals now available from my website that you might like to check out?

An eight video drum lesson starter set aimed at the beginner drummer teaching 33 individual drum beats and fills in total. Full details available by clicking here.

I also have a massive John Bonham video drum lesson package set teaching thirty three of Bonham's best drum and fills from nine classic Led Zeppelin tracks. It contains over five hours of video footage. You can view extra details by clicking here.

Hope you find these instructional package useful!

Rob

NAME:
Great hands for a lifetime
STAR RATING:
Tommy Igoe
WORDED RATING:
Getting great with your stick;this is a warm up exercice that will get your hands used to bounce.using plenty of rudiments at various beat ,this is a must have DVD!!
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Every level
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music
DESCRIPTION:
Tommy Igoe shows here a warm up you should practice everyday.We are not drumming here,we are "bouncing"!!!!

If anyone is thinking about getting Todd Sucherman's new DVD, don't think about it, just do it. Someone on here recommended it, then someone else on another drummer site did also, and I came back here and read even more good stuff about it.

Very entertaining and informative, and I haven't even made it to disc 2 yet :)

Totally agree! What a great sequel to, say, Great Hands for a Lifetime and Secret Weapons. It brings those basics to the next level, when things get exciting - on the drumset! Great, great fills! Watching this will build faith in your own playing, like - "Aaah, I see now, that fill is just this..." And much, much more. Todd's no nonsense philosophy on the music business, the great sound of the kits he's playing, the breathtaking shooting location (his own house?) which looks like the Palace of Drums, the way it is all filmed. It's really an aesthetic treat and everything looks so modern. I don't know much about Todd, but I seem to grow a very deep respect for the man. He is so real and humble and intelligent.

NAME:
Great hands for a lifetime
STAR RATING:
Tommy Igoe
WORDED RATING:
Getting great with your stick;this is a warm up exercice that will get your hands used to bounce.using plenty of rudiments at various beat ,this is a must have DVD!!
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Every level
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music
DESCRIPTION:
Tommy Igoe shows here a warm up you should practice everyday.We are not drumming here,we are "bouncing"!!!!

I cannot get into this. I've been able to stand about 20 minutes of it only. I really kind of hate it.

Sorry to add something negative. But I'd prefer people bought Joe Morello's DVD or Jojo Mayer's and work out their own routine.

I do NOT recommend this DVD. His first book was good. The second very ordinary. This is worse. I point my students away from it. Far away!

I cannot get into this. I've been able to stand about 20 minutes of it only. I really kind of hate it.

Sorry to add something negative. But I'd prefer people bought Joe Morello's DVD or Jojo Mayer's and work out their own routine.

I do NOT recommend this DVD. His first book was good. The second very ordinary. This is worse. I point my students away from it. Far away!

Hi (1st off - Happy New Year to all! Health and inspiration). I appreciate diversity of opinion and thanks for sharing your view. To me Igoe's new DVD has its merit in bringing structure to the hand exercises, unlike JoJo's and Joe's where the focus is on mechanics and they definitely are brilliant DVDs, but Igoe gives you smth that works - it certainly is not the only way to combine rudiments or interpret them - but do we have the time to spend on millions of combination and go through every Stick Control exercise or similar hefty books? A roadmap that gives you not all - but quite a bit of the rudiments - is smth valuable I think. And to play the Lifetime warm-up at 190 is a challenge. Cheers!

Hi (1st off - Happy New Year to all! Health and inspiration). I appreciate diversity of opinion and thanks for sharing your view. To me Igoe's new DVD has its merit in bringing structure to the hand exercises, unlike JoJo's and Joe's where the focus is on mechanics and they definitely are brilliant DVDs, but Igoe gives you smth that works - it certainly is not the only way to combine rudiments or interpret them - but do we have the time to spend on millions of combination and go through every Stick Control exercise or similar hefty books? A roadmap that gives you not all - but quite a bit of the rudiments - is smth valuable I think. And to play the Lifetime warm-up at 190 is a challenge. Cheers!

We are all different of course and that was simply my interpretation. I do like the poster that came with the DVD. I really regret buying the DVD though. Of course I don't need it after so many years working on technique.

Different people have different needs. I have my own ideas for the practice of rudiments and I pass those onto my students. They can pick others up as they go along as well. Its all one big basket. :)

We are all different of course and that was simply my interpretation. I do like the poster that came with the DVD. I really regret buying the DVD though. Of course I don't need it after so many years working on technique.

Different people have different needs. I have my own ideas for the practice of rudiments and I pass those onto my students. They can pick others up as they go along as well. Its all one big basket. :)

I agree with you that for a very experienced player like yourself the DVD may not be of much use. I have 3 beginner students and am I happy to see how Igoe's routine gives some foundation - like the alphabet. You know, these days you see drumming enthusiasts plundge into all sorts of complicated technical stuff, while not having knowledge of the basics, of the alphabet. But as you say - it is all a big basket. It's really great to be able to put in it as much as possible. Regards!

OK, so a couple of things:

I'm literally just starting out with drums. I have an acoustic set as well as a new e-kit, but have to part with my acoustic set because I never get to play it (too loud, neighbors, etc). Anyway, the e-kit has been great so far and has really allowed me to log more time since I can play whenever I want with headphones.

I've never had an instructor, never had any training, so I'm looking for some really nice beginner books to work with that are easy to understand and follow.

the books I have now are:

Syncopation of the Modern Drummer
Stick Control
Groove Essentials (vol 1)
The Drummer's Bible

What do you recommend as far as metronome speed also? Any tips to a brand new drummer that you can offer would be much appreciated. I'm serious about learning and I look forward to improving my skills. I've been logging 2+ hours of practice/playing nightly!

Sorry, but half this thread is missing (like many of the other threads).

*Edit* actually, it looks like these threads go in reverse. never seen that before . . .

NAME:
Stanton Moore Groove Alchemy DVD

STAR RATING:
# # #

WORDED RATING:
Very explorative into the world of funk grooves from a limited collection of drummers, but none of them are explained; only played at a medium-fast tempo.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate-Advanced drummers looking to largely expand their collection of funk grooves on hi-hat/kick/snare.

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music

DESCRIPTION:
In this video, Stanton demonstrates the grooves of Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, John Bonham, and Zigaboo Modeliste, as well as a few less known others. All he does is play the grooves at the speed of the original tracks, not breaking anything down or discussing sticking or technique. Maybe I bought it with the expectation of being able to take something from it, but I was not able to. He plays with his trio on some tracks, which is awesome, but it's only fun to watch. Again, not much to gain for most drummers.

Hi percussionists of the world! I have been a percussionist since the age of 5. I am in my school band as a percussionists and in the drumline. I love playing percussion instruments...especially the drum set. Yet, I am not very good. But if I had to tell you guys one of the best drumming videos ever made, I would say Tommy Igoe's Great hands for a lifetime dvd. Please respond to this once you have checked out the Tommy Igoe dvd. It really helped me with my playing.

NAME:
The Drummer's Bible by Mick Berry and Jason Gianni
STAR RATING:
# # # # #
WORDED RATING:
A great idea, to get all these different styles of music in one book. Gives the drummer a taste of each one. Also learned about a lot of styles I'd never heard of.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Anyone Beginner-Advanced who is interested in learning about the history and roots of the hundreds (165+ in this book) of different musical styles, and also the basic beats and applications of these styles.
DESCRIPTION:
A fantastic book. Goes into 165+ different musical styles. They way the book is written is there are about 20 or sub categories (latin, funk, rock, etc.) and several categories within these. Some are very short, with a brief description of origination and just 2 beats, and some are much longer, with a lot of info about origination and developing artists, and 10 beats. It doesn't go into any advanced concepts, just gives a basic sample of many different styles, however it's still great for advanced drummers. There will be some styles you've never heard of, and you'll also get a lot of valuable info. It's not necessarily best for learning technique or teaching students or whatever, but it's a great kind of laid back book that's a blast to play. I mean, who here knows how to play an Abakwa, Boogaloo, or Mozambique drum beat?

NAME:
The Drummer's Bible by Mick Berry and Jason Gianni
STAR RATING:
# # # # #
WORDED RATING:
A great idea, to get all these different styles of music in one book. Gives the drummer a taste of each one. Also learned about a lot of styles I'd never heard of.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Anyone Beginner-Advanced who is interested in learning about the history and roots of the hundreds (165+ in this book) of different musical styles, and also the basic beats and applications of these styles.
DESCRIPTION:
A fantastic book. Goes into 165+ different musical styles. They way the book is written is there are about 20 or sub categories (latin, funk, rock, etc.) and several categories within these. Some are very short, with a brief description of origination and just 2 beats, and some are much longer, with a lot of info about origination and developing artists, and 10 beats. It doesn't go into any advanced concepts, just gives a basic sample of many different styles, however it's still great for advanced drummers. There will be some styles you've never heard of, and you'll also get a lot of valuable info. It's not necessarily best for learning technique or teaching students or whatever, but it's a great kind of laid back book that's a blast to play. I mean, who here knows how to play an Abakwa, Boogaloo, or Mozambique drum beat?

I use this book as a reference all the time. Great book. Nice to hear the samples on the CD as well.

A book many seem to overlook is Ed Soph's "Musical Time, A Source Book for Jazz Drumming." It's the only book I've seen that addresses playing jazz ride rhythms as they are played by jazz drummers like Tony Williams, Louis Hayes, Jimmy Cobb, etc.

I read one review of Soph's book that dismissed it as "too basic." Wrong! The exercises start with simple rhythms, but soon progress. Sure, you'll not find the complicated independence gyrations you'll find in "Coordinated Independence For the Jazz Drummer," but you'll perhaps find something even more valuable--the ability to play swinging, breathing jazz time that your fellow musicians will prefer to the locked-in limitations imposed by the standard ride pattern found in most drumming tutorials. And when the later chapters of the book are played at faster tempos, you'll unlock the secret of the Cobb/Williams/Klook type ride rhythms that made the sound of those drummers sound so expansive and open-ended.

I sent a letter to Soph, complimenting him on his book, and encouraged him to write a second book that expands on the knowledge found in the first. He said he's working on a second book that will deal with broken cymbal rhythms and various time signatures.

I have worked as a professional jazz drummer for over 30 years. And I have purchased, and studied from, many drum books. For an introduction to playing swinging jazz time, I find "Musical Time" to be among the best introductory methods of playing jazz time on a drum set.

Completely agree. I have a lot books that may look more advanced to some, but this book goes right to the core. One of the best drum books ever.

Hello drummers,

I've just recently released a new Drum Instruction eBook with accompanying DVD's entitled, "The Greatest Drum Beats & Grooves Of All Time".

This massive eBook lists the greatest drum grooves from Over 130 Songs, 240 individual drum beats taught in total! The double DVD accompaniment demonstrates 120 of the best drum beats from the book, both slowly and up to speed.

I'm very proud of it and it's receiving great reviews so far. You can check it out on my website here Learn 100's Of Drum Beats & Grooves.

Or you can purchase a copy for your Amazon Kindle (does not include double DVD's though) here if you live in the UK Learn To Play Drum Beats & Grooves On Your Kindle (UK). Or HERE if you live in the States.

That's not exactly a review is it?

Hello drummers,

I've just recently released a new Drum Instruction eBook with accompanying DVD's entitled, "The Greatest Drum Beats & Grooves Of All Time".

This massive eBook lists the greatest drum grooves from Over 130 Songs, 240 individual drum beats taught in total! The double DVD accompaniment demonstrates 120 of the best drum beats from the book, both slowly and up to speed.

I'm very proud of it and it's receiving great reviews so far. You can check it out on my website here Learn 100's Of Drum Beats & Grooves.

Or you can purchase a copy for your Amazon Kindle (does not include double DVD's though) here if you live in the UK Learn To Play Drum Beats & Grooves On Your Kindle (UK). Or HERE if you live in the States.

Back